Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
Just finished my first listen of this behemoth! And I must say, WOW! It certainly is different! I think Priest have set themselves the challenge of proving to the world that they are serious musicians and not just writers of catchy metal cheese. As a metal opera it seems pretty amazing, but don't come into it expecting your standard Priest anthems as it isn't that kind of album. Very ballsy release thats for sure!

I think I have enjoyed the second disc more on first listen, but will give it more spins in the days ahead.

I have only had one listen to the first disc of this album and can say that while it is very different, it definitely sounds like Judas Priest. I found some of Rob's vocals exceptionally brilliant at times, when the mix of melody, emotion and delivery really click.

I guess I'll have to get it. I keep forgetting to check for the new Journey album - sounds like a hell of a bargain though. Shall pop in to JB this afternoon.

Production and mastering = DREADFUL.

Songs = Hmmm... some good ideas but.... I think there's a lot of other bands who have done this kind of thing a LOT better in recent years (who haven't told Rob & Co. yet either because they've been doing interviews saying they're the first band to do anything like this! :err: ). And what's with the drum machine in some songs?! They have Scott fuckin' Travis in the band! Rob's voice on the higher notes isn't really that great anymore. Granted, he's pushing 60 and that's WAY impressive considering that, but still... it does make the vocal distracting for me. His low/mid-range stuff is still fantastic though.

All up, I'm glad I gave it a test-drive and then deleted it. As much as it was a ballsy album for them to attempt and I respect that, I would have felt fairly disappointed if I'd bought it blindly.

Shame, though - I was really hoping this would be awesome. :(

went and picked up the CD literally a few minutes after I posted the message above and am loving it -but probably because I'm a big fan of concept albums and rock operas.

first off, it doesn't really seem like a Judas Priest album -which I think is what gets to a lot of people.
it seems more like a Rock Opera or simple concept album featuring members of Priest. But I don't think this detracts from it at all.
Halford's vocals are extremely impressive, especially the parts where they are layered and reflecting different pitches and tones, and the overall playing and orchestration is great.
there are also parts where Priest actual hark back to some of their earliest works -such as the flanged guitar on the intro to Calm before the Storm, which is very Sad Wings of Destiny.

the parts where Halford sings in Italian are a bit odd and not everything gels but they are minor issues really.

overall, think this is an impressive album and a monumental step for a band such as Priest.
hopefully it will see more ambitious concept albums from established bands being made.

com'on, who doesn't want to see an Iron Maiden rock opera? :Smug:

I pretty much agree with the above post. The album starts to lose me towards the last third of the first disc, it all starts to sound a bit sameish, but the second disc picks it back up again.

2nd listen through now and yeah, do feel as though it could've been one disc without losing much.

but loving the more epic feel of it as well as how they reference some of their earlier works too.

----------------
Now playing: Judas Priest - War