Judas Priest: Redeemer of Souls

I'll probably still buy this when it comes out (even with no KK...how can it be Priest without KK?), but as much as I love this band, I think they've, sadly, become a parody of themselves. They sound more like different band wanting to be Priest instead of actually BEING the mighty Judas Priest. A lot of this stuff reminds me of Halford's "Made Of Metal" release, which isn't exactly a great thing.

Everything I've heard so far ranges from good to great, sounds like Priest (and unlike their last album, sounds like actual instruments this time which is nice for a change). Excited for sure.

Cover art is horrible though.

They could alternate: One day King Diamond, the next Mercyful Fate. I'd be all over that...

If they brought Onslaught with them it'd be perfect. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AFbxbgmVI0

I doubt that would make much sense considering how many musicians they'd have to fly in just to alternate nights for a support band.

I listened to Redeemer Of Souls a couple of times now, and it left me thinking a few things....

1- Priest is in desperate need of a proper producer. The songs aren't horrible, but they are in need of some outside input to keep them from sounding/feeling stale. Look at what Jacob Hansen has done with Pretty Maids...the songs still sound like Maids, but there's enough tweaking going on that they sound fresher and a bit more updated. Priest needs this badly. Besides, I find it annoying when each song has a different guitar/drum/vocal sound....makes the final product sound a little bit on the amateur side, which is weird for a band that's been around for 40 years.

2- I miss KK.

3-I actually found myself enjoying the bonus songs (except for Never Forget) more than the actual album tracks.They didn't seem quite as formulaic....less heavy, but more interesting.

4- Halford's high range is shot, and he sometimes came across as sounding a little tired and (no....don't say it!)....old. It was bound to happen sooner or later. There were some really good spots, though.

Over all.....not bad, but not overly great either. I think I'd rank it last out of the reunion albums. Who knows...my thoughts could change after more listens.

Yeah, definitely their best reunion album I think. I'm also not sure what Comic Book Dude is referring to about the production because the production on this album is excellent, unlike the last album JP is actually using real instruments.

Yeah, definitely their best reunion album I think. I'm also not sure what Comic Book Dude is referring to about the production because the production on this album is excellent, unlike the last album JP is actually using real instruments.

Maybe it's the sound engineering I'm having a problem with....one song will have fat, tube-y guitars with muffled drums, and the next will have brighter, shiny drums with flat guitars. It's just a really uneven sounding album, in my opinion.