July Video Released

awesome video... the earlier ones were good, but not nearly as "commercially" good as this one.
plus, we cant get enough of the katatonia boys :)
(although they could have saved some on the makeup :p)

Whow... I don't know if I like this better than the other ones because it was pretty different... and I think that's amazing... 3 completely different videos for the same band and same album... that's how it has to be, imo.
But I like it... and I think the message/atmosphere he wanted to get across (referring to the notes on katatonia.com) is well captured... to me the vid gives the constant feeling of "Let's get out of this fuckin' room" if you know what I mean. The colours are also great and maybe sometimes also a bit disturbing (in a good way) ... but I would have expected something completely different for "July".
Nevermind, this one's sweet enough!

@Hobo: Oh why... they always look good, even if they're wet, don't they? o_O

I'd say the best of the three videos. Gives a great feeling for the song and the mood Katatonia put out. Though, what is with the "Tool" imagery in there for a split second? That was random.

(although they could have saved some on the makeup :p)

agreed :lol:

If I wanna see the band I'll watch live vids so that's a big downside for me. the color scheme was nice and it's definitely a good video. Not as good as my twin but much better than deliberation. More imagery! :heh:

This video was boring. Everyone looked like they were completing a chore, and there was little energy. I suppose that is to be expected in a music video though. Deliberation was a much better video.

The director (Charlie Granberg) has uploaded it on his site. This version is higher resoluton than that's on YouTube, and has a few tweaks.

http://www.charliegranberg.com/movies/Katatonia_July__webLg_Prog.mov

And the full commentary...

::::::: 2007.03.06 :::::::

KATATONIA "JULY" PREMIERE!

Well sort of anyway... the band were faster to put it up on YouTube, damnit! But here you have it in better resolution, AND a few tweaks here and there for the trained eye...

So. It's basically a performance video. But I wanted the feeling of the band playing in a very rough, abandonded or even bombed out house, in an extremely warm country like Mexico, or somewhere in the middle east. Dark on the inside, but with sunbeams searching their way through the dust, hitting the bandmembers here and there. I really wanted the feeling of the outside world being so much better and brighter than the place the band is in.

The biggest challenge with this video I think, was that I wanted to use really warm and grainy colours, wich is kinda rare in this type of music, but at the same time wrap it in a gloomy, apocalyptic feeling. But I think the balance is there and I'm happy the band liked it so much.

The reason I decided to use the famous Roosarch's ink blot test as background projections, was mainly to fuck with people's heads... There are in fact hidden messages in there, that only I know about. Now you really have something to be sleeples over.

Cheer up!
Charlie

Well at least they weren't wearing bathing suits on the beach sippin' some iced tea.

Though that would be rather interesting.

Love the video. I usually dislike performance videos, this was done extremely well. Unusual/daring use of colors too.

Daniel's shirt is killer! I wonder where I can get one of those..
:lol: I saw that too.

I too like this video.