June update.......

Hipster $$$$$ still spends.
These hipsters come out in droves for Nachtmystium shows, Bible of the Devil shows, Pentagram shows, etc, etc.....
Why would you think they wouldn't possibly come to Ragnarokkr?
Honestly, they probably dont even know about it.

Those are bands hipsters like. They don't like bands such as Omen, Brocas Helm, Virgin Steele, etc. A couple hipsters might check out the fest, but probably not many. And besides, they know everything going on in every music scene. (At least that's what they want you to think.)

Those are bands hipsters like. They don't like bands such as Omen, Brocas Helm, Virgin Steele, etc. A couple hipsters might check out the fest, but probably not many. And besides, they know everything going on in every music scene. (At least that's what they want you to think.)

dave - agreed.

Jason...if you feel so strongly...go there and work something out.

Well, maybe it would then be worth looking into getting a band like Nachtmystium, Indian, or Bible to the fest.
We all agree these bands draw really well.

Heck, the annual Dark Lords Day or whatever sells out the day tickets go on sale.

Bottom line is hipsters are loyal to what they dig.

Just saying it COULD be an untapped resource, and hipsters, whether you like it or not, are probably more likely to come out to this than the power metal or prog metal crowd (Where none of which came out for Virgin Steele or Eldritch, for example)

Add a Sloug Feg booking to the mix, and you could be onto something.....

dave - agreed.

Jason...if you feel so strongly...go there and work something out.

I never been to Kuma's and probably won't, simply because I barely go to the city, and wouldn't just to go to a burger joint. Though I can certainly contact them.

I feel strongly about getting the fest marketed to crowds not yet tapped.

I truly believe the hipster crowd is "potentially" (yes, of course not definitively) one who would come out.

The Chicago underground metal scene, while loyal, is very small.
If this isn't going to turn into a death metal or black metal fest (who does draw like mad), the next place to go may just be the hipsters......

We all know the prog power crowd isnt coming. Period.

I have a very hard time believing that someone who likes Bible of the Devil or Pentagram wouldn't dig some of the Ragnarokkr bands if they were exposed.

I have a very hard time believing that someone who likes Bible of the Devil or Pentagram wouldn't dig some of the Ragnarokkr bands if they were exposed.

Totally, and add a cross over band with hipster appeal like Slough Feg or Hammers of Misfortune? Just saying once again its an option to reach a whole new crowd without straying too far from the formula (IE - booking black or death metal).

But in all seriousness......the hipster crowd isn't going to spend the money to get into a higher price show. You see them at the cheap ass shows usually. Even bringing in one or two bands won't get them there. Since they are not really there for the music and mainly to drink cheap beer and be seen at a show...I don't see many even coming out. Bible of the Devil isn't even the draw you say they are Jason....the past few times I have seen them it is a very small group who are there for them.

Now having them play the second stage would actually be a great idea...I think they are a band that could actually do well on their own against a co-headliner since their fans have zero clue on any of the types of bands playing the fest. But then again....you have a lousy act like them on the bill. Soon you start doing that and you add more and more and you look at your line up of bands you are not a fan of and ask "what went wrong?", "I would not even want to be at this show".

It is that double edge sword. While it is easy to make these assumptions on what would bring in more people. This is why I have been suggestion heavier acts. Just in Chicago alone there is a very large fanbase for these acts. Lots of the stuff on Hell's Headbangers. I have seen lots of these bands draw big on their own shows. Would having a few of these bands play in the middle slots help bring in some of the heavier music fans? Possibly. I know a lot of people who are fans of this stuff and traditional metal as well so it is a easier fix. It doesn't seem like you are dropping it in just to get more people and messing with the flow. There is a lot more crossover appeal than say adding Indian or Bible.

Since they are not really there for the music and mainly to drink cheap beer and be seen at a show...I don't see many even coming out.

Yes, exactly. That is the nature of the hipster and that is why trying to appeal to them is not a good idea.

But then again....you have a lousy act like them on the bill. Soon you start doing that and you add more and more and you look at your line up of bands you are not a fan of and ask "what went wrong?", "I would not even want to be at this show".

It is that double edge sword. While it is easy to make these assumptions on what would bring in more people. This is why I have been suggestion heavier acts. Just in Chicago alone there is a very large fanbase for these acts. Lots of the stuff on Hell's Headbangers. I have seen lots of these bands draw big on their own shows. Would having a few of these bands play in the middle slots help bring in some of the heavier music fans? Possibly. I know a lot of people who are fans of this stuff and traditional metal as well so it is a easier fix. It doesn't seem like you are dropping it in just to get more people and messing with the flow. There is a lot more crossover appeal than say adding Indian or Bible.

I would prefer half the lineup to be death metal than having a couple of hipster bands. Death metal is metal and people who listen to it are metalheads.

You're making the assumption that the HHR crowd would pay a high ticket price for one or two bands. You're probably wrong, especially with the amount of exclusives Chicago gets that hit the wallet.

You don't know every single person at every show! Maybe some hipsters actually like the music but just dress stupid. Even I personally have a beard, wear skinny jeans, and have a closet full of plaid shirts.

You don't know until you try, and its foolish to ignore one of the biggest consumers of live bands, similar to those on the fest, because you don't think they are true.

Hmm, what about a second stage only pass?

Wow! If you ever needed a dictionary definition of "over-analysis" you got it. It breaks down to one simple point.....if you are in Chicago to see the fest and you want to stick something tasty in your mouth, go to Kuma's. That is all. There is no more profound reason that Jason and Bob keep bickering about. You aren't feeding the hipster plague by going there. You aren't supporting the true metal scene by boycotting them and hitting Lock Down. I love how SOME people can turn self gratification by way of the taste bud into a debate about ticket sales. I'll make Kuma's my first stop next time I'm in Chicago and give the final verdict. BTW...go to Tilted Kilt. It's much like Hooters but better food and better dressed ladies. Don't go to Gino's. Too many tourist. You don't want to support tourism....you would be so non metal for

If you go to Kuma's you then may also enjoy Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe and other tourist restaurants. I hear the menu at Rock n Roll McDonald's is to die for.

Tonight at Lock Down I was entertained while waiting for Mendoza by the Dio DVD then they changed it over to my least favorite...Ozzy. I never thought I was say I was happy to have some sports turned on so they turned off Ozzy. My plain hamburger was fantastic.

This thread is ridiculous indeed.

Bottom line. Kuma's would be a good sponsor to get on board based on its reach.
Lock Down would be good as well.

The reality is that Kuma's has lines around the corner on a daily basis and even had to open a second location.

How does anyone know who WOULD or WOULD NOT come to a show???

Every year had different types of crowds coming out.

For example, look at all the old timers who came out because Tyrants Regin played?
Do you think for sure they will come out next year?
Honestly, my guess is no.

You guys can all fight to keep the crowd as "TRUE" as possible, but don't cry when the same people come out.

You always have to be on the lookout for new customers, and the Kuma's crowd is an untapped resource in this equation.

And yes, I agree too that the death metal crowd is as well.