Just a silly question about guitar doubling

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
Well, so far I've done it this way:

Guitar 1 (100% L) - The main sound with all up
Guitar 2 (100% R) - Same as G1, but with about 1/4th of a turn on the guitar's tone knob
Guitar 3 (80% L) - Same as G1 but with mids completely scooped to 0/10 (G1 has Mids at 10/10)
Guitar 4 (80% R) - Same as G3, but with the 1/4th turn on guitar tone knob

I was just wondering if it's better that way, or could you just use the same tone (G1) for all four tracks?

I track 2 guitarlines (if I have 2 guitarist).. one panned 70L other 75 or something right..

I do biamping or triamping and every guitarist get a least 2 microphones mixed together..

till the invention of the TG-2 preamp life is much easier..

cheers George

depends on what you're shooting for, and on the setup used.
for example, as far as i know andy sneap had jeff loomis track 4 tracks using the exact same setup when recording the dead heart in a dead world record. for this godless endeavor, however, he had them play two tracks using the recto and two using the krank, same goes for the latest arch enemy.

i personally tend to mix amps when laying down ideas using my pod. however, i'll ALWAYS use two identical sounding tracks panned left/right. imho you shouldn't change the settings for a pair of tracks.
of course, it's pretty much open territory....
moreover, if you take a listen to slayer recordings, you'll notice a rather large difference between kerry's and jeff's tone. kerry has a slightly more scooped tone with more highs and bass, which is also not quite as tight as jeff's honky tone. they don't do it for every cd, but it's quite obvious when listening to e.g. reign in blood or god hates us all

hope this helps some....

Fragle said:
moreover, if you take a listen to slayer recordings, you'll notice a rather large difference between kerry's and jeff's tone. kerry has a slightly more scooped tone with more highs and bass, which is also not quite as tight as jeff's honky tone. they don't do it for every cd, but it's quite obvious when listening to e.g. reign in blood or god hates us all

hope this helps some....

A lot of bands also do this live.......

yeah, of course they're doin it live. having two almost identical guitar sounds SUCKS when playing live. the key to a good live sound is seperation.

I suppose the base rule is the two identical set-ups panned left and right. Everything is open to interpretation, but that's basically a ground rule that will ensure you have consistency in your guitars.

When it comes to quad tracking and laying tracks over the top of that, you can add a different texture by having another identical set-up, two takes, also panned left and right.

Or hell if you want to, just put one set-up in one speaker and the other set-up in the other. It should by rights give the record a more 'live' feel. People who like mixing more 'raw' would appreciate the fact. Particularily when you're dealing with that old sound, with constant dual guitar harmony/counterpoint, like Opeth's first two albums.