Just another cross-posted review...

sh0kr0k

Jul 7, 2002
St. Paul, MN
www.myspace.com
I wrote a review on the ProgPower forum, but I thought I'd place it here too.
Kinda long and ranting.. you've been warned. :lol:

Diabolik said:
Twelfth Gate played next and had a fill in singer and did this guy blow. He thought he was in Disturbed or something. It was very painful to watch. Ion Vein played next and did an amazing cover of Pain Killer. They really didnt do to much for me.

They had some tech issues in the first three songs and they tried to humor the crowd and came across very very weird. My freind thinks they were stoned or on something.

I couldn't DISAGREE more! I heard people talking poorly about Twelfth Gate's vocalist, Brent Erickson, but quite frankly he was great! Sure, it's not the typical power metal vocals and he didn't have hair down to his ass, but can't you see passed that to realize that he did a great job? There's also a way to tactfully say that you didn't enjoy someone's performance, but to outright say that they sucked just because YOU didn't like it doesn't give the reader of your review a fair outlook. So I'm here to say, FUCK THAT - I think he did an EXCELLENT job, especially for having to play to a bunch of people that aren't generally into the vocal style that they encorporate into their music. So people reading - it's not the consensus that Brent did a poor job. He was energetic, talented, and a very charismatic frontman. Bottom line. I met him breifly after the set to tell him he did a great job and was easily the most appreciative and humble performer I met all weekend. My only complaint about their set was the odd audio mix that left the guitars drowned out by the bass for nearly their entire performance. But that's not the band's fault.

Mirror Black played first for a sparse but eager crowd. I was busy greeting a lot of friends and catching up so I wasn't really focused on their performance to give it a fair review. I did find myself saying, "Wow, these guys are great! Why haven't I heard them before?!" at many points during their set. YardleyBates told me that their drummer is always promotiong the band at shows in Chicago, so if they out around that area, I'd recommend catching them live!

This was my second time seeing Ion Vein and it was fantastic! There was some new material played that sounded great and everyone on stage was so full of life and really looked like they enjoyed playing for us! I can't wait to see these guys again! Russ really is great with the audience and their songs are so well-crafted and rehearsed. You can tell these love what they do! Not to mention they are very personable, friendly people off-stage as well. Great guys, great music, great live show! Period.

Nocturnal Rites shocked the hell out of me, and after taking one look around the room, it was obvious they had captured our attention! I'm not familiar with their music because I heard a cd once and decided it wasn't for me. Lo and behold, they got a new singer and now they sound like a completely new band! Wow, what a set and what an incredible first U.S. appearance!! All the members where energetic beyond belief, especially the lead guitarist who furiously rocked out in his corner of the stage for the entire set with hardly a moment to rest! That was entertaining in itself! Their sound mix was very smooth and even, and a definate improvement over the previous acts. I don't know how long they ended up playing for but the crowd just would not let them leave the stage - we wanted more! I sure hope these guys come back around again very soon! If you haven't heard this band - run, don't walk - to your computer, and buy their albums on-line because you probably can't find metal this good at Best Buy!!

Morgana Lefay had a few technical issues, but they handled it well. I wouldn't say they come off as "weird" but more appropriate adjectives would be "humorous" "sarcastic" and even a bit "playful"... perhaps that can be confused with being stoned :rolleyes: They played all the favorites that you pretty much knew they would, plus surprised us with some treats like, "Red Moon"! At one point during "Hollow" Charles had somehow cut his forearm and was bleeding for a while, though he didn't even seem to notice. Now that's metal! \m/ :lol: Their setlist had them scheduled for an encore but unfortunately Charles was pretty sick by the end of the set and just couldn't do it. So the rest of the band came out and the singer from Agent Steel joined them for a few covers songs including Panteram and Metallica hits.

I mised Friday as well but I hear that Biomechanical and Agent Steel were the showstoppers. Sure wish I didn't have to skip that...

Thanks again to everyone involved! Mad love to you!!

I read this over at the ProgPower board, but I'll reply here...

sh0kr0k said:
I couldn't DISAGREE more! I heard people talking poorly about Twelfth Gate's vocalist, Brent Erickson, but quite frankly he was great! Sure, it's not the typical power metal vocals and he didn't have hair down to his ass, but can't you see passed that to realize that he did a great job? There's also a way to tactfully say that you didn't enjoy someone's performance, but to outright say that they sucked just because YOU didn't like it doesn't give the reader of your review a fair outlook. So I'm here to say, FUCK THAT - I think he did an EXCELLENT job, especially for having to play to a bunch of people that aren't generally into the vocal style that they encorporate into their music. So people reading - it's not the consensus that Brent did a poor job. He was energetic, talented, and a very charismatic frontman. Bottom line. I met him breifly after the set to tell him he did a great job and was easily the most appreciative and humble performer I met all weekend.

heh... I could go off on a long rant about the difference between saying "______ sucks," and saying "I didn't like _______," but I'll spare everyone. This time. :) Suffice it to say that I agree 100%, and if that Diabolik guy was THIS put off by TG's set, then -- I hate to say this to anyone -- he probably shouldn't even come at all next year.

Anyone who didn't like Brent is a pussy. :lol:

My only complaint about their set was the odd audio mix that left the guitars drowned out by the bass for nearly their entire performance. But that's not the band's fault.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with TG's live show, but with Scott singing, they had a more melodic (and bass-driven) sound, and this sort of mix worked great for them. Now, I'm not so sure; with Brent, they sound like a completely different band (as I said in my main post, I didn't even recognize certain songs until I started recognizing words here and there :lol: ). It seems like the band is still experimenting a bit with the new sound, and I don't know if the way-up-front bass will be a good mix with Brent's style.

This was my second time seeing Ion Vein and it was fantastic! There was some new material played that sounded great

The only non-new song they played was "Painkiller". :) (I think. I didn't hear any old stuff.)

Nocturnal Rites

After seeing their setlist, I realized that I only missed their first three songs (not half their set, like I thought)... unfortunately, those were three of their best songs, from what is BY FAR their best album. S'okay... I got to see "Cuts Like a Knife" (which I didn't expect to be played), as well as "Still Alive". Great band, great energy... even those people who aren't into Euro power metal should check out their last album, Grand Illusion.

Morgana Lefay had a few technical issues, but they handled it well. I wouldn't say they come off as "weird" but more appropriate adjectives would be "humorous" "sarcastic" and even a bit "playful"... perhaps that can be confused with being stoned :rolleyes:

Yeah, that comment didn't sit well with me, either... it's almost as if the guy who said that had never seen a band goof off on stage before. It's refreshing to see band members who don't take themselves too seriously. :lol:

From the ProgPower board:

Diabolik said:
Morgana Lefay played last and I was never really a fan and people kept hyping them up after last year's performance so I gave them a chance. They had some tech issues in the first three songs and they tried to humor the crowd and came across very very weird. My freind thinks they were stoned or on something. After all the hype.....they did nothing for me. People rave about them but I just dont get it.

Came across very weird??? Stoned??? Umm, not sure where THAT came from. These guys have a great sense of humor and like to have fun on stage. Just because they were using humor to pass the time while the technical issues were being worked out doesn't mean that they were stoned. :Smug:

Personally, I think that they kicked all kinds of ass. :headbang: :headbang:

Steph

TwstDrSteph said:
Personally, I think that they kicked all kinds of ass. :headbang: :headbang:

Personally, I think you kicked all kinds of ass. That was too funny when those guys were talking over you... "Excuse me... would you two like to stand together? That's great... I'll just stand a little bit closer to center stage, now..." (not exact quotes, just what I saw happening :) )

You certainly know how to use that "Stephanie-charm" to your advantage... it got you not one, but TWO chauffers, as well as a closer spot for Morgana. :lol: :lol: