Just checked out the mp3's

Ultima Ibanez Overlord

-=The Dude Abides=-
Mar 17, 2002
999 letsby avenue
www.mp3.com
Hi,

I got the link to the band's site from RGBeach's posts on Power of Omen's forum.
I just listened to the mp3's. I'm pretty into it. It's not my usual kind of thing, but I enjoyed it.
The playing is pretty good, and the composition is pretty complex, too. Both are things that always grab my attention.

For a two-man show, it's fantastic and pretty well rounded. I'd usually expect something like this to be really self-indulgent in a narrow way, but the songs sound really broad and well thought out, as if a whole 4 or 5 piece band had written them.
I think Age of Mystics is my favourite from the available songs. The clean guitar parts are really nice. The guitar solo's are really nicely laid out and fragmented.

Just a little thing: the vocals remind me of recent Amorphis, an awful lot!

Best of luck with the band/project. You guys certainly have potential.

Lee

Lee,

Thanks for the feedback! We've really focused on trying to incorporate progressive and heavier styles into a traditional song structure. A good, non-metal example of what we are shooting for can be found in much of Sting's music. His compositions are all very pop-friendly and accessible, but when you dig into the music many of the songs have this underlying complexity in rhythm and layered instruments, etc. I guess that, like you, we really enjoy complexities in music, especially when the performance is executed properly.

Dan and I have been playing music together since high school (a long time ago) and have developed a good writing process over the years. We've debated many, many times about adding a proper vocalist and, of course, a drummer, but we're so comfortable with our current situation that formerly adding someone else may be a bit disruptive. For live shows, which we plan on doing next year, we will likely work with a session drummer or friends from various bands to fill-in. Maybe this will help us ease into a 3- or 4-piece band.

For a first demo, we're happy with the songs, but are very excited about the next bunch - a little heavier and a little more refined. These should be ready sometime in January.

Thanks again, man, for the cool feedback!

Bob

P.S. I haven't heard any Amorphis, so I don't know if your comment is positive or negative - would you recommend them?

Hey Lee,

I just checked out the sound samples on your temporary page - great stuff! It reminded me of Spiral Architect, particularly the guitar parts. The addition of keyboards, however, adds a cool melodic element to the music - something that most technical metal bands don't think about. So, kind of Dream Theateresque, but more raw.

Great playing on your part. How long have you been playing? Obviously another Ibanez worshipper like myself. I currently have a JEM7BSB, JPM90HAM, RG1077XLRB, RG2020XTB, RG1680AM (J-custom), and S540. I love 'em!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Amorphis......hmmm, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of metal styles, but my girlfriend likes Amorphis. She got me into them, but I only lke their latest stuff. They used to be death metal, but they've radically changed to a much more traditional rock sound. They used to have Death Metal growling vocals, but now the singer does "clean" singing. If you are going to check anything out by them, check out the album AM Universum.
I like Amorphis's singing, so it was meant as a positive, I guess.

I quite like Sting, too. His compositions aren't straight forward II, V, I type songs, and a lot of the chordal work is really interesting (especially with The Police, all those 9th chords in Every Breath You Take, for example).

Thanks for checking out my stuff, man. That's very cool.
I haven't heard any Spiral Architect. I have heard their name before, and I think someone else made the same comparison. I will have to check them out.

I've been playing for about 13 years, but for the first few years, I was never too serious.
I play an Ibanez RG570, and I plan on buying myself an Ibanez 7 string at some point, as soon as I have the clams. They're my favourite guitars.

Good luck with the band members. I know how difficult that can be.

Cheers,

Lee