Just fitted an EMG85 on my guitar

DanAbela

May 1, 2005
Essex
www.myspace.com
Ive just fitted an emg 85 into my flying V and have found it to be a bit more low mid-sy (prob not a real word but hey) and muddy than i thought it would be.

Before i had a bare knuckle Miracle man pick up and it seemed to give a better sound imo, more even and more accurate highs.
I know alot of people on here swear by em so thats why i fitted one. I followed the wiring diagram exactly and have an ok knowledge of electronics. Is there something that you have to do with emg's that you dont usually do with passive pick ups or any ideas in general as im at the stage of pulling my hair out over the tone im getting.

Cheers
Dan

abigailwilliams said:
what kind of v?

Its a gibson voodoo V, running into a peavey XXX

Ive actually got it sounding great now. I took it apart again and foun that the tone pot wasnt wired up to the volume pot correctly, EMG hadnt put enough solder on the joints and had worked themselves loose.:yell:

Yeah especially on a Swampash guitar like yours I couldn't believe that it sounded muddy.

Glad to hear you got it all worked out now. :)

DanAbela said:
Ive just fitted an emg 85 into my flying V and have found it to be a bit more low mid-sy (prob not a real word but hey) and muddy than i thought it would be.

Before i had a bare knuckle Miracle man pick up and it seemed to give a better sound imo, more even and more accurate highs.
I know alot of people on here swear by em so thats why i fitted one. I followed the wiring diagram exactly and have an ok knowledge of electronics. Is there something that you have to do with emg's that you dont usually do with passive pick ups or any ideas in general as im at the stage of pulling my hair out over the tone im getting.

Cheers
Dan
i'm curious... the first and most common mistake made by people who change pickups is amp settings. did you change the settings on your amp? with other pickups i found that i had to have different settings on my EQ than with the 85... much less "radical", for lack of a better word, than when using other pickups. if you left the settings the same, i would guess that's a big part of your problem... i definitely do not have a problem with low mids in my sound, using 85's.

another possibe problem is wiring..if you did not do it right, or if your repair person didn't get it right, then you will have a problem. also, make sure your battery is a good quality alkeline, like duracell or energizer (really does make a difference) and is new.

another variable, and perhaps the most elusive, is taste... there truly is no accounting for taste. a not insignificant contributor to "taste" is just being "used to" something.. if someone is used to a sound which is too "high-endy", to borrow your alliteration, then a more accurate sound will seem dull to them. not saying this is your issue, just pointing out all possible variables....

...more likely your situation is one or some combination of the above.

James Murphy said:
i'm curious... the first and most common mistake made by people who change pickups is amp settings. did you change the settings on your amp? with other pickups i found that i had to have different settings on my EQ than with the 85... much less "radical", for lack of a better word, than when using other pickups. if you left the settings the same, i would guess that's a big part of your problem... i definitely do not have a problem with low mids in my sound, using 85's.

another possibe problem is wiring..if you did not do it right, or if your repair person didn't get it right, then you will have a problem. also, make sure your battery is a good quality alkeline, like duracell or energizer (really does make a difference) and is new.

another variable, and perhaps the most elusive, is taste... there truly is no accounting for taste. a not insignificant contributor to "taste" is just being "used to" something.. if someone is used to a sound which is too "high-endy", to borrow your alliteration, then a more accurate sound will seem dull to them. not saying this is your issue, just pointing out all possible variables....

...more likely your situation is one or some combination of the above.

yeah i fell victim 2 good ol dodgey wiring.
been messing around for a few more hours now and like you have said, its different to EQing a normal pickup.
But now ive sorted everything out i can see why everyone raves about the EMG 85, does sound bloody amazing

I just put 707s in my 7 string and i do like them in my 7, Its alot tighter sounds. I never liked they way the EMG sounded on my 6 strings. Mabe it was the guitar. i dunno, but i never liked the way they sounded in my Jem. But with this 7 string they sound awsome. Great punch and clarity.

Da Fukn Guru