Just for Controversy

Sybir

New Metal Member
Jan 30, 2004
DC
www.sybir.com
Because I can't get the youngest member of the family to go back to sleep for a little while...thought I would start a new post and get some discussion going :)

Who are some of the "great" bands that we've seen throughout the years and why? Even some current ones :)

Malena and I have argued about this one. :)

Iron Maiden was the "greatest" band of the '80s. They were hugely successful without significant radio play - they were already selling out arenas regularly before "2 Minutes to Midnight" was picked up by more adventurous radio stations. They continue to be the biggest single influence in heavy metal - when Papa Roach has a hit radio song by lifting the riff from "Transylvania" in the late '90s, you know they had to have done something right - even if it's second generation.

They were also the _best_ live show in the '80s, among metal bands, anyway.

Mike

Controversy? And here I thought you'd be asking about stuff like gay marriage and labor unions. ;)

I was born about five years too late and lived under a chokehold for most of my adolescence, so I missed out on a lot of really good shows back in the metal heydays. Of those that I escaped to see, Queensryche in 1991 and Dream Theater in 1993 were the best shows I've ever seen, hands down. There's never been anything to compare.

Of current bands, Evergrey kicks ass every time I see them - can't wait for the show in May!

I definitely agree about Iron Maiden and the 80s. One of the best rock bands of all time, and best of the 80s.

My top band though is, without a doubt, Pink Floyd. For me, they are worlds ahead of everyone else - even my 2nd favorite band. They carved their own path, constantly evolved, were extremely unique and original, experimented, etc. - and yet, despite all of these things that would typically make a band unsuccessful on a more mainstream scale, they were highly popular. In fact, one of the biggest album and concert ticket sellers EVER. And their music is so melodic and emotional - every note is perfectly placed. And the lyrics are the best I've ever seen. They blended everything – instruments and vocals alike – in a perfect combination of musical bliss…

Well, Matt's obviously a Roger "Troubled" Waters fan. There's stuff off of every Floyd disc that I'll be quoting into my 90's, assuming I don't die in my 40's as predicted.

Aside from who the great bands are by money or influence, I'll keep my comments to just single shows I thought were among the best I've ever seen. Because we can talk about influences for months on end.

Pride and Glory at the Bayou (Zakk Wylde's first solo effort) was outstanding. That version of "Machine Gun Man" is probably the best single song I've ever seen live.

Queensryche's Empire tour 1991 was amazing. They did the entire Operation: Mindcrime disc. Actually, seeing them open for Metallica on the AJFA tour was what really won me over to them.

Savatage at the Bayou, 1993. It was two months before Criss died, and the only time I saw him share a stage with Zak. Not only was the show good, but they threw in "Holocaust" which was a huge bonus for old Sava-fans.

Honorable mention: King's X at Hammerjack's (on the Gretchen tour), Stuck Mojo at Coney Island High, King Diamond at Jaxx, Poe's way too short set at Merriweather. Man, there's a whole list. I'd be here way too long.

How did you know? Waters is my favorite song writer, and I consider him to be the biggest genius in rock music of all time. Gilmour is my favorite guitarist ever. Floyd my favorite band. I find Wright and Mason to be very tasteful and proficient on their instruments too. I just love Floyd! Speaking of Waters, ever hear his masterpiece Amused to Death? It's quite possibly the best album of all time!

You like Pride and Glory? That's awesome! That disc is one of my favorites ever. Every song on there is amazing - no filler! I would have loved to have seen that live.

Best shows ever? Well, that's easy for me. Pink Floyd in NC and Waters in Baltimore.

Other note worthy shows... King's X at Pier 6 opening for Dream Theater was pretty amazing. So was Van Halen with Sammy, Sammy solo, Metallica on Justice, Maiden, Blackhawk (amazing vocal harmonies), Angra, Dio, Ozzy, Symphony X, Fear Factory, Devin Townsend - I could go on and on. I love live music! :D

I saw King Diamond at Jaxx also. He is a great live singer.

So far everybody makes sense to me... but I can see a couple minor arguments... maybe just for arguments sake, but what the hell!

Maiden continuing to be the biggest metal influence today? I'm sure they still have some relevance, but it all comes down to the type of metal we're talking about. If we're talking about bands who's members are mid 20's and older, then sure. If it's powermetal, sure....

But if it's thrash, then it's more of a Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, etc influence. Give it 10 more years and Maiden will barely be influential among bands who's members are age 25 or younger. Even if they're still around.

Regardless of era, the obvious great ones are Maiden, Slayer, Kiss, Metallica, Megadeth, Floyd, Doors, Sabbath, etc etc.

So instead, I'll list the bands who I think are or were under-rated, under-known, etc.
But guess what: my mind is blank right now. Guess they weren't that great to me :)

So here are my personal fav's for now...
Megadeth
Devin Townsend - anything he's involved with for the most part
Morbid Angel
Dimmu Borgir
Dew-Scented
Steve Vai
Marty Friedman
Older Pantera
Older Sepultura
Hate Eternal

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Chuck Schuldner yet.

Chuck's an influence in a lot of the stuff I listen to - the Tech/Complex Death metal world - but not much of one outside that genre. Although his influence does seem to be growing.

James, I can see your argument, but In Flames and, to a lesser extent, Dark Tranquility have been a large influence on the up-and-coming Death metal community. (Witness Shadow's Fall and the Black Dahlia Murders, who basically sound like Gothenburg bands with hardcore vocalists.)

Both IF and DT have a HUGE Maiden influence, just tuned to C. For the most part, when you hear third harmonies in metal, it's Maiden.

We haven't even touched on marketing yet. Cradle of Filth, for example, have worshiped at the altar of metal marketing that Maiden built from day one - and have built a pretty good career out of it, even though they're not really all that good. :)

I will say that Slayer is a huge influence on the current crop - Lamb Of God spring right to mind - as well. Then again, their influences can be traced back to Maiden, and, even though most consider them peers, Metallica.

That's a whole other discussion, though.

Mike

I'm a metal newbie compared to Mike & Matt and I don't get to hear a lot of the music that's out there... so I'm sure every thing Mike's saying makes sense. I guess I can only speak for myself, who's one in a million - the only way Maiden may have influenced me is by influencing other bands that I like. Like a second generation effect.

There are actually a lot of people out there like you. I was talking to a couple of kids - literally, about 14 years old (and boys, too - good thing Matt wasn't with me, or he'd be breaking out his vestments) - after a Jaxx show last summer, and one of them said he got into Maiden after reading an interview with In Flames where they mentioned it.

All of the Maiden shirts appearing at Hot Topic cracks me up, in a way. :)

Mike

I think that's what Mike is saying.... that the majority of metal bands these days have a second (or third) generation Maiden influence. I'd argue that Metallica is one of the biggest influences on "modern" metal bands.... and their biggest influence was Maiden.