Just ordered an iPhone 4s

Goddamnit, I'm probably going to get one of these for Christmas. My general sense of direction and geography is total shit and the ability to look up directions and info on the fly is sorely needed.

One question to you, or anyone else who's got it. My friend was using the Google Maps app on his Android and it gave voice-guided GPS directions. I'm trying on my Ipod 3GS and while it gives directions, it doesn't read them out loud. Is this the case on 4S too (or is there some option I'm missing?)?

if you want voice nav you have to buy an app that has it, it's not built in

Good choice! Just a tip.. Don't try to change the battery by removing the LCD-screen from the touch-panel. I watched a poor tutorial and it basically taught me how to crack the screen. I only have 3gs but I bet it'll crack no matter what version you have.

On the bright side, I finally managed to change the battery. It didn't work so I changed the original back. But I still felt like a space physicist when I succeeded. Now I'm just waiting for a new LCD.

Still... Having used both, why is the iPhone supposed to be miles better than an Android?

I wouldn't say miles better, it all depends on the android phones, but to be honest I haven't tested any phone that beats the iphone in terms of ease and pleasure to use. Even the last galaxy, I tried it just for comparison and I dunno for other guys but coming from the iphone it feels as fast but not as 'smooth'. It's like its applications feel like a brick. I'm talking about the galaxy, cause any other android phone I've tried before felt laggy or it's like there is a short delay between an input and the answer. It's very subtle, but the way the iphone responds makes it pleasant to use, I'd say it responds naturally to any input, for all applications, in a few ms. No lag, no bug (except with... buggy 3rd apps). I was reluctant at first with iTunes, but now I kinda understand why to use it, it gives me precise control on everything on my phone, I personally manage it like an extension of my laptop, with pro pdf and documents synchronized etc.

Plus, I always sell them for more than what actually cost the new version, so passed the initial investment, I even made money on each new version !

I wouldn't say miles better, it all depends on the android phones, but to be honest I haven't tested any phone that beats the iphone in terms of ease and pleasure to use. Even the last galaxy, I tried it just for comparison and I dunno for other guys but coming from the iphone it feels as fast but not as 'smooth'. It's like its applications feel like a brick. I'm talking about the galaxy, cause any other android phone I've tried before felt laggy or it's like there is a short delay between an input and the answer. It's very subtle, but the way the iphone responds makes it pleasant to use, I'd say it responds naturally to any input, for all applications, in a few ms.

This, the Android phones I've all tried have felt choppy and slow. Maybe its my retard friends overloading it, I don't know. I don't know why either, the specs on the phones are really good. It's a real shame, because there are a LOT of things I don't like about iPhones, iOs5, iTunes, but its just so much more intuitive to use that the iPhone wins out :/

The galaxy nexus is faster than the iphone 4s in most things. The iphone 4s has minor improvements in graphical power and a bigger development community for apps and games, but that's already changing.

Mat, was it the Galaxy S 2 that you tried? Cuz I could understand a bit of hesitancy with the original, but I just switched from the iPhone 4 I've had for 14 months for a Galaxy S II, and it's every bit as smooth, and the screen :yow:

Mat, was it the Galaxy S 2 that you tried? Cuz I could understand a bit of hesitancy with the original, but I just switched from the iPhone 4 I've had for 14 months for a Galaxy S II, and it's every bit as smooth, and the screen :yow:

doesn't it bother you that you can see the pixels in the screen though, after using iphone 4? i seem to remember you had one if i'm not way off here.

Yeah, I must admit the significantly lower dot pitch is a bit trying when browsing desktop websites, but other than that its not really noticeable, and the contrast and color depth are so fucking amazing because of the Super AMOLED Plus screen, and the phone feels so nice and runs so smooth, I dunno man, I'm impressed! (and I've been bored of iOS and wanting to try Android for a little while now, and what better phone to go for than the one that has pretty much been the favorite Android handset of most tech sites, with the smoothest overall performance and fastest/best benchmark scores)

my phone was 15 euro at Media Market. it can call other cell phones, land-lines andddddddddd send text messages! amazing!

next time i talk to someone and he goes "i'm sorry, i wasen't listening" because he was checking his facebook on his iPhone i'm gonna slap him with my balls.

Arsenu said:
my phone was 15 euro at Media Market. it can call other cell phones, land-lines andddddddddd send text messages! amazing!

next time i talk to someone and he goes "i'm sorry, i wasen't listening" because he was checking his facebook on his iPhone i'm gonna slap him with my balls.

Oooor you could come into the 21st Century with the rest of us and get a smartphone hahaha phones are not only for calling and texting any more. And I'm pooping while posting this

The galaxy nexus is faster than the iphone 4s in most things. The iphone 4s has minor improvements in graphical power and a bigger development community for apps and games, but that's already changing.

Yeah I've been reading up on that. It's not out here in Australia yet, and I'm not sure if they'll actually release the 32gb version here, but apparently it has Hardware Acceleration which (I've got no idea what it means) should help smooth things up a bit. I'll be trying it out as soon as I can.

Yeah, I must admit the significantly lower dot pitch is a bit trying when browsing desktop websites, but other than that its not really noticeable, and the contrast and color depth are so fucking amazing because of the Super AMOLED Plus screen, and the phone feels so nice and runs so smooth, I dunno man, I'm impressed! (and I've been bored of iOS and wanting to try Android for a little while now, and what better phone to go for than the one that has pretty much been the favorite Android handset of most tech sites, with the smoothest overall performance and fastest/best benchmark scores)

yeah man the colors look pretty nice in it and it's nice that it's bigger... somehow for me, the iphone 4 just makes other displays look like shit with the visible pixels :lol:

i've got a few friends who have the galaxy s2, i should try how it feels - i'm totally fine with the iphone 4 but i have to admit i'm a little bored with iOS too, i'm interested what the galaxy s2 is capable of. it's been literally months since i've seen any clever and useful new apps on iOS other than games, and the vast amount of shitty and useless apps on the appstore is pretty uninspiring. i don't know if that's any different with the android market, but i've been hoping for some kind of a bullshit filter to the app store for some time :lol:

it would be great. i mean seriously, who's really so retarded that he'd want to download an app called "fart piano"?

FART PIANO?????
sloth.jpg