just picked up Iced Earth's "The Reckoning", a four song preview of the new album

thraxhead

There's Only 1 thraxhead
Aug 11, 2002
Jacksonville, FL
profiles.yahoo.com
All I can say is:

I think we're in for a stellar album. Tim Owens SLAYS Matt Barlowon many levels, and to those of you who aren't familiar with Iced Earth, either get the new one or get Night of the Stormrider(1992), as you will NOT be disappointed.

Priest and Iced Earth in 2004!!!! The Metal Age!

thraxhead

You JUST picked that up? What took you so long. (kidding) I think the album comes out not this tuesday but the one following one. Your right though, it should kick ass.

i have not heard anything by them,but tim owens is a killer vocalist so i might check it out

are they traditional metal or thrashy or what???

The new cd comes out on January 13. You can get both the EP and the new cd at www.theendrecords.com/omega . Read the following review of new cd: http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/showreview.aspx?reviewID=150
icedearth.jpg

good review, but "shortcomings in the riffing department"??? Jon, to his credit, hasn't had much of this to speak of. As a matter of fact, I'm always amazed that he CONTINUOUSLY comes up with the riffs that he does, and he NEVER repeats himself. The only shortcoming I can think of is finding the right sequence for the setlist in the live setting, because then the over-riffing may tend to either get tedious or overburdonesome. Otherwise, Iced Earth has undoubtedly been the 90's best kept secret.

As for ye, Mrthrax, not hearing anything by Iced Earth may be a blessing. I'm always excited to dig into bands and find some gems that I have previously not heard, and anyone hovering around an Anthrax board would beyond a doubt, find IE's music captivating. The best description I have heard of their music is "take the best elements from Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, a dose of classic Maiden and a touch of vintage Priest, and you're about half way there."

Iced Earth's riffs are far more creative than anything Metallica has done, and I would venture to say that their dual guitar leads are better arranged than Maiden's and Priest's (with a few exceptions, songwise). Their lyrics are solid, not the greatest but not the worst, but really shine on their trademark trilogies (ie- "Dante's Inferno", "dark saga" trilogy, and the "Something Wicked" trilogy as well) - I stated a long time ago that the "Something Wicked" trilogy would not be topped by them, but this Gettysburg one may just do that. I'm a history geek too, so that last statement may have some bias.

As far as MY description of their music? They are not Power Metal. They are not thrash, purely, but do incorporate elements of the latter. Everyone thinks that because you have twin-guitar leads, you're a power metal band. Bullshit. Power metal bands tend to have some fucked up sounding distortion, taking more cues from Maiden and Priest than Overkill and Testament, and tend to have very cheesy lyrics.

Iced Earth does none of this. Their distortion is thick, concise, and unmistakably post Kill Em All. Their dual leads are very deliberately placed within certain songs that have them (not the backbone of the arrangements like Maiden and power metal acts) ... and their lyrics I have mentioned before: thoughtful but not too highbrow, and definetly none of this "we're off to the woods to fight the battle " shit.

ICED EARTH IS NOT POWER METAL!!!

Here are some people who say they are:

http://www.bnrmetal.com/

http://www.redstream.org/Iced-Earth-Night-of-the-Stormrider_RD7109.php

http://www.metalhordes.com/forum/printthread.php?t=108

There's a debate on that 3rd link whether IE is power metal or not. Perhaps it is time to listen to decide for yourself.

Discs:

Iced Earth (1991) - heavily Maiden influenced, proceed w/ caution.

Night of the Stormrider (1992) - masterpiece. Old vox, not as good as the new guy, but not as bad as everyone who's used to the new guy says he is. He reminds me of Neil Turbin when he's on, and a bad Halford when he's off (ie- verses to "Travel In Stygian")

Burnt Offerings (1995) - ANOTHER masterpiece, new vox Matt Barlow, who is outstanding. Great song structures, gothic overtones, epics, incredible riffing (which is scattered in various places, kinda like Priest's Stained Class and fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian), and an album which gets better with each listen.

Dark Saga (1996) - A concept album (which I'm no fan of), but the songs as a whole are more accessible, even if some of them are not as good as previous albums. IE fans really dig this one.

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1998) - kind of a roller coaster musically (fast song, slow song, fast song, slow song), but the songs are stellar and the trilogy is worth the price alone. If the speed metal intensity of Stormrider and Burnt Offerings is too much to handle for some, I usually recommend this one first, then work your way back. When Anthrax and Metallica (ESPECIALLY metallica) stopped doing this kind of music, Iced Earth pciked up where they left off and ran with it. A band worthy of attention.

I never got Horror Show because I thought the concept was dumb to begin with. Someone let me know if it is worth the money.

as you were

thraxhead

thraxhead said:
I never got Horror Show because I thought the concept was dumb to begin with. Someone let me know if it is worth the money.

If you like Iced Earth, which you certainly seem to, it is definitely worth picking up. The concept may be dumb (I thought it was interesting) but the songs are stellar, especially Wolf, Damien, and Dracula. Ghost of Freedom is a patriotic ballad, Jeckyll & Hyde and Dragon's Child I am not really fond of, but the rest are fantastic.

Scott

I can't wait to pick up a copy of The Glorious Burden double CD edition next monday. The Reckoning made me expect a real masterpiece :headbang:

And in April they will play live in my hometown with Primal Fear (from Germany) and Thunderstone (from Finland) opening.

I guess we will hear some Priest songs live (Metal Gods from Primal Fear and The Ripper from Iced Earth!!!) :worship:

i got the album this tuesday and it's really amazing!..
owens (not ripper anymore!) vocals fits well with the music and i recommend it to everyone who likes heavy music.. :headbang:

Great album, I had sticker shock though 21 bucks. But it is a full album and then the second disc has one very long song, Gettysburg. Great art work and a great package overall.

Cincy Vigilante said:
Great album, I had sticker shock though 21 bucks. But it is a full album and then the second disc has one very long song, Gettysburg. Great art work and a great package overall.
I hate do be the guy who points out things.. but!
the 2nd cd (if you have the limited 2cd edition) is a trilogy, so it's three songs.. not one long.. that's it.

~I wouldn't say Ripper "SLAYS" Barlow, that's about impossible. But Tim does do his job well. Once he starts singing IE songs live and fits into the mold a bit better... then we'll see what happens.

~And I certainly don't think Iced Earth has better riffs than old Metallica anymore than I think that new Metallica has better riffs than old Sabbath. If you were there in the growing days of thrash, the statement you made would seem ridiculous to you as well. I can think of many riffs Exodus, Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament, and on and on... that are better than Iced Earth ones. That's not to say that Jon Schaffer hasn't written some great riffs that have surpassed others, but his riffing isn't all that different from what many bands were doing during the years before Purgatory (IE) was even signed.

~That brings me to my next point, I do think that Jon does tend to repeat himself sonically. Case in point every power ballad he has put on an album since the Dark Saga has had exactly the same chord structure and vocal melody as the next one. Ghost of Freedom from Horror Show seems to be the most trite. He's ripping himself off if you will. But if that's not repeditive, then I don't know what is.

~Still the new album is better than I expected, and it does show that Tim Owens has a much greater range than he has displayed before as a meer power metal screecher. But without Matt Barlow it feels like the band are quickly becoming one of those one man bands like Death, Annihilator, and often times Megadeth. Guitarist Larry Tarnowski left, the band has all but left Morrisound for Jon's own Indiana studio, and Jon Schaffer actually sings some parts on Gettysburg. I do wish the band all that success that they wanted, but if they couldn't get it with Barlow why would they with with Ripper?