Just saw ANTHRAX in salzburg

freakbrother6969

Senior Pothead
Feb 22, 2003
Rudolfshome Fivehouse - Vienna
Visit site
We just came home from the Anthrax-Show in Salzburg (Austria)
Here’s a short story about the trip and the show.

For those, who hate short stories in bad english here’s the summary:

:hotjump: IT WAS GREAT!!!!:worship:
To keep the short story long:

We drove 3 hours from Vienna to Salzburg. We did some short sightseeing in Mozarts nice hometown. We visited a Tattoo exhibition in a Museum and a Reptilezoo.

After that, we went to a pub to eat something and drink some beer. Suddenly Halfthrax (without charlie and scott) passed by. At that moment, my girlfriend played with our camera and I told her: “Babe, look behind you. Please take a picture!”

She thought, I saw a beautiful chick, but as she turned around she recogniced the reason of my open mouth. They came right next to our table and (I wore an Anthrax-Shirt) they saw us. (I hate such situations, because I don’t want to disturb them in their free time and I never know what to say) So I just said: “cheers my friends”

My girlfriend asked them, if she could take a picture:
http://home.fotocommunity.de/anthrax/index.php?id=467310&d=1675177

They looked for a restaurant, so we didn’t talk much. (they looked hungry and dangerous ;-)
(I only said cheers, ahh, eh, uh, we’re waiting for your show tonight, ah, eh uh, cheers guys)

After they were gone, I realised: I had 3 shirts a cd and a marker in my bag (for the case of meeting ‘thrax I could let’em sign some stuff) -> d’oh! :cry:

And I recogniced: “Shit, Why didn’t we take a picture of us both with halfthrax.

lol

I’m an idiot. It was the second time I met Anthrax and I did (nearly) everything wrong again.

Well, thank goodness, I’m not a girl! I would be a terrible groupie! :)

The Location: 3 hours later, we went to the rockhouse. A nice location: Great beer and nice girls. We bought some shirts. I would have bought more stuff, but they only had charlies drumsticks and the guitar picks....... They didn't have a girlie shirt for my girlfriend, no shorts, nothing (100 Euro saved) Anthrax NEEDS better merch!

The Show: The first group was an austrian trash metal band called alphawolf. Nice to hear some good old trash. The second band was flying hellfish (also from salzburg) with a singer like mickey mouse on helium. He repeated the name of his band about 1000 times. He was a pain in the neck. The rest of the band was ok. (and don't forget, our name ist blah..)

The sound of both bands was good.

Finally, Anthrax stormed on the stage. It was a fantastic show with only one point of critique (maybe to the rockhouse?): The sound was terrible. But we didn’t care, we know all of their songs (but for someone who doesn’t, it must have been a wired show) It sounded like back in 1983. :)

I tried to record the show with my mp3-player to get the setlist, but you can only hear Johns messages, the music is just rschrschrschrsch :-(

Some songs I remember:

-Got the Time

-Antisocial

-Safe Home

-Indians

-What doesn’t die

-Deathrider

-Only

-Bring the Noise

-Whiplash

-Madhouse

-Whole Lotta Rosie

Well, I’m sure they played more, but my brain hurts, can’t think after 3 hours driving through the night. Maybe I’ll get you the rest tomorrow.

The guys from the rockhouse made some fotos. I’ll post the link here, as soon as they’re online.

The gig lasted 1 hour 37 Minutes and the crowd liked it. I saw about 30 stagedivers.

One thing was different from other anthrax gigs I’ve seen some years before: There were many young guys there and many young girls between 15 and 18. (the ten years old kid with his dad ruled! the boy wore an Iron Maiden shirt and his dad looked suburban. But “daddy” finally headbanged at Ac/Dcs Whole Lotta Rosie. :)

So the young generation isn’t lost! So we know, if we can’t move our necks anymore and hear only our tinnitus, there are some young guys out there, who keep on banging!

By the way, Scott said: ”Salzburg is a nice city. But you don’t have a McDonalds.”

But that’s not true. The Anthrax-guys just couldn’t find it. Well, WE did:

http://home.fotocommunity.de/anthrax/index.php?id=467310&d=1675179

:tickled: for real - no wonder, they couldn't find it!
It was a great sweaty evening!

(Sorry for my bad english, it’s a bit “rusted”.)

I hope, they’ll come back to vienna next time.

It's 5 o'clock in the morning and my bottle of beer is empty, so: cheers2all
freakbrother:headbang: