Just wanted to comkment on the new round of drama ....

Oh man, it was so good.

Then we went over to Foreign Cinema for a drink, where I had the most delicious grappa; Marolo Grappa infused with Chamomile. The most exquisite color I've ever seen in a glass, and a gorgeous aromatic flavor. I've heard that grappa enthusiasists (yes, they exist) look down on this stuff as not being authentic (grappa originally being a peasant drink made of the throw-away of the grapes, ie. 'good-tasting' grappa is bad), but sweet jamaica jerkoff, this shit was good.

marololarge.jpg

There's nothing quite like coming home happy after a motherfucker of a meal.

Yeah those grappa snobs can go fuck off. If they like drinking something that tastes like pure alcohol, they can go right ahead. I'll enjoy grappa much like you do, Brooks.

Also, I've had that chamomile grappa and it's fantastic. Try the green apple grappa next time...it's my favorite.

Usually people tend to drink pure grappa, usually called grappa bianca or "white grappa", with something like their coffee in the morning. Very few people actually drink grappa shots unless they're TRYING to get drunk or they drink it as a digestivo. It's basically moonshine, just grape moonshine made from all the shit left over from the wine. It's literally the hot dog of spirits.

^ I thought the thread title read 'cockment' at first but shook it off as a coincidence.

No offense to Italy, but best pizza I have ever had in my life was here in the US...

This place in Arlington: http://www.faccialuna.com/ has the best pizza this traveling gal has ever had.

The only thing Italians do better on pizzas than anyone else in the world is the sauce... Even the best pizzas in the US cannot come close to the freshness and taste of the sauce in Italy...
but everything else? sorry Italia....

and Arugula (I call it 'roquette' as that's how we call it in the Med area) is my favorite salad greens!
SO DELICIOUS! I make amazing things with it, a staple in my fridge :)

Chris, that sounds amazing... I'd try it for surreee

does anyone remember the New Yorker from pizza hut?

THAT had the best pizza sauce I have ever tasted. Then again I've only had....Little Ceasers, Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, and an assortment of frozen zahs

No offense to Italy, but best pizza I have ever had in my life was here in the US...

This place in Arlington: http://www.faccialuna.com/ has the best pizza this traveling gal has ever had.

The only thing Italians do better on pizzas than anyone else in the world is the sauce... Even the best pizzas in the US cannot come close to the freshness and taste of the sauce in Italy...
but everything else? sorry Italia....

The entire reason most people rave about Italian pizza is because everything is fresh and unobtainable in the US, not because they cook it better. I mean, they're just sticking it in the oven...it's not like there's a skill to it or anything.

I really don't think that you can compare the two. The only thing you can compare is the quality of the ingredients, which Italy has over just about everyone because of its location. You cannot find Napolitano tomatoes, prosciutto or speck from San Daniele or Parma, Calabrese salamino or mozzarella in the states like they are in Italy. Even where I live in the north is much different and not nearly as good as the southern-grown foods. I'm not saying it's not good, but a southern Italian tomato-based sauce tastes nothing like you've ever had in your life. However, American pizza can be just as good but done in a different way. It depends on your taste for pizza. Americans typically use bread for their crust and not pasta like Italians. If you like your pizzas heavier and more filling, then American pizza is probably for you. Annalisa loves American pizza just for that reason. I like it a lot too, but I usually feel ill afterwards because I eat so much of it and it's so heavy, so that's why I prefer Italian-style pizza.

And by the way, Karen...with those prices at Faccia Luna, it had better be better than Italian pizza! $25 for a 12 inch pizza with two toppings and two salads, and that's the special? WTF? $8.50 FOR BRUSCHETTA?!?!? $15 PASTA?!?!?! Do backrubs and blowjobs come with it? With those prices, they had better be importing that shit and their mozzarella had better come straight from the cow and taste like it too. I'm sure it's good because you're a good litmus test for food, but still...a 12 inch Margherita for $11.25, and the house pizza, the Faccia Luna is $15.75 for a 12 inch?!?! I'm sure it's fantastic, but I'll stick with my 5 euro pizza from the local pizzeria.

I like my cheese american, my tomatos from florida, and my pizza covered in meat. reppin tha sowooth.

not really, i dont care what kind of pizza is made with what. The only food I dont like is seafood. pizza is pizza to me.

Well, it's a poor dish...it's one of those things that when it's bad it's still good. It was invented by the Turks when they put flatbread on a hot rock and covered it in whatever they had to eat. The pizza we know today was improved by the Italians years ago but it's not like steak, where it has to be cooked and seasoned well to be good.

But if you've never had decent pizza, you'll never know the difference. Fast food pizzas like you mentioned are pretty terrible. It's like the difference between a homemade burger and McDonald's.

Chris: Prices are crazy yes, but IMO their pizza is made to perfection... The dough is so great, bready and non greasy, and just right in terms of thickness... I am a huge fan of their La Capra: Goat Cheese, thin sliced chicken and spinach.. often I would substitute the chicken for prosciutto ... YUM!

Yeah, the Italian ingredients are second to none... Chris: my parents are here visiting from Tel Aviv, and they came here straight from Italy where they spent 10 days vacationing,
and my mom brought me amazing cheeses and with her! ...one of the cheeses was this amazing Pecorino Romano which we made great cheese bread with and some eggplant napoleons the other day... I am seriously in heaven.
I miss those fresh ingredients a lot...

Another funny thing which you would appreciate, Chris:
I had some friends over for brunch a couple of weeks ago, and I served fresh sliced melon with prosciutto and olive oil on top and non of them understood that concept... haha!
you learn something new everyday, I told them ;)

I hate you. I hate you, I hate you, I HATE YOU! How is it that you can get that stuff all the way in the states and I have to bribe, beg, and steal from people to get that shit here, unless I wanna drive 8 hours to get it?

Mmmmm, prosciutto and cantaloupe...the best thing for brunch on a sunny day. Nummy.

It's fitting that it's so good, however, because if it weren't for food then southern Italy would be a complete waste of space. It's good they're so anal about their food because they can't do anything else right.