JVM 410/Peavey Windsor

Line666

Fendurr
Sep 2, 2006
Looking at getting one of these two amps. I realise the JVM is twice the price of the Windsor (500-600 here)but thats a good bit of bank for me, more than I have every spent on one specific purchase, and need someone to talk me into it.

I basically need something that I can use live - for which I only need something that does high gain relatively well with a tubescreamer; Modern Rock basically, so channel switching is not a big deal to me. However, it would also be useful to have something flexible for studio work and for the type of bands I usually end up working with; which has been anything from Post Hardcore, to Indie, to Pop Punk so far and I don't really expect that to change much because I do like to jump around.

So is it worth splurging on the JVM, from which I can gather is probably the best match up for flexibility or is it worth saving on the Windsor? I've wasted time trying to save on gear on the past so I'm pretty wary.

Help me out here :lol:

Oh and if anyone has any other amps to suggest please do - I've already excluded the 6505 from my options though as whilst it does cover a fair bit of ground in most stuff the other guitarist in my band already has one so it should be easy to get hold of to work with when needed.

get the Marshall and be happy, sounds better, way more versatile and even if you jsut need
a modern rock hi-gain sound right now, you can do way more!

I really don't like the JVM410 at all; however, the Windsor also isn't anything to write home about. There are better amp choices out there I would recommend unless you really have your heart set on one of those.

Cool guys, no I'm really not closed minded about this - I will entertain anything as long as the price is fairly reasonable and I can get a few decent samples of guitar tones involves/albums recorded using it type of thing. I'm only ruling out the 6505 because I already have access to one otherwise I would probably be opting for that.

Right on, my opinion is just my opinion though!

If you can do a side by side test with these amps then that's obviously the best way to go about it. My friend works in a music store so we spend many hours a week just dicking around in the amp room experimenting and stuff. I just never got a tone out of the JVM that justified its pricetag to me. I just picked up a 5150III head last month and it's pretty much the be all end all amp for me; easy to get tones that are exactly the same as my old 5150 mkI except with tighter palm mutes.

I know there's not a lot of Krank love on this forum, but I played one that pleasantly suprised me (as I'm not a Krank fan at all either). Wish I could remember which model, it had a really nice tightness about it.