Kamelot - Ghost Opera

And you have an opinion, just like Ken. I think GO is great, but obviously others feel different. No need to name call though :p

We've been through this topic like 5 times in 3 different threads now. Can't we just settle on Siege Perilous being their only really unique/awesome album? ;P

IMO Siege Perilous and The Fourth Legacy was how Kamelot should sound. 4th legacy wasn't really that good though, but those two and the Conception albums are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new stuff that sounds like Nightwish with a male vocalist.

I like Conception, but it's definitely Kamelot. I don't feel Conception is "PURE BRILLIANCE!" like so many music reviewers seem to. Ten bucks says that if Conception were still around, they would not get half of the praise that they do for stopping after a few albums.

And IMO, Siege Perilous and The Fourth Legacy could have been made by any other power-prog band out there. The thing I like about Kamelot is that they have come to embrace the power of groove and riffs that do not center solely around thrash and double-bass.

The Black Halo is golden to me. Ghost Opera is pretty sweet. Karma is badass in many moments.

The further you delve into Kamelot's back catalog, I think, the more unfocused and unimpressive the music becomes.

No it does not follow. There are some allusions to the previous medieval-Europe atmosphere, yet the musical patterns are far more then double-bass based power metal ones. Harmonically, Kamelot's compositions are not very diverse, but it is sacrificed for the atmosphere i think. We don't expect the harmonical diversity like S.X. does from KAmelot. TBH is the leader in this sense. But i didn't find it very consistent or tasteful except 3 songs or sth.

Ghost Opera is a great album for me. I am pretty sure they achieved what they intended while thinking of making such an album. Fantastic. I am the only one who thinks that Ghost Opera is their best album. :D Yet there are songs an all albums that are so good that i don't want to compare them with each other.

Edited: Typing errors

No. I several times stated i don't like Epica as a whole. Or else i don't like Mr Youngblood's solos generally, or i think Karma and TBH has too much filler material etc. Or even in GO i think Silence of the Darkness is a filler track. Is that clear? :D

No. I several times stated i don't like Epica as a whole. Or else i don't like Mr Youngblood's solos generally, or i think Karma and TBH has too much filler material etc. Or even in GO i think Silence of the Darkness is a filler track. Is that clear? :D

Time-Machinist... GO is mostly filler dude. Along with Sonata Arctica - Unia, it's one of the two greatest disappointments by great bands this year. Both followed masterpieces with half-assed filler albums.

Ok filler track might not the right word. How can i say. I don't have the albums near me (as i am in a my summerhouse with my notebook). I generally skip 1/3 of the songs while listening to Karma and TBH. The compositions and sound patterns are more worked on than the other albums (but the latter no better than in GO ). This is obvious. But they these songs (that i've falsely named as filler tracks) don't give me any satisfaction. Because as separate songs, Kamelot do not make sophisticated ones. Even in TBH, the harmonic and rhythmic structure is quite simple. What i like about Kamelot is the atmosphere they put, great sound touches and back-vocal arrangements; and the concept-like song scale in the album as a whole. But when they tried harmonically experimental things, i think this is the failure regarding what i like to hear from Kamelot. For example everybody liked the song TBH very much. Yeah the main guitar riff is quite catchy. But look. The song has NOTHING special. Mr Romeo has written thousands of better guitar riffs. The composition has nothing special. The chorus is TASTELESS.

I don't know perhaps i am the only one to think GO is the album that meets almost all expectations of me from Kamelot. There seem to be no hit songs included. But for example Blucher is a so much cleverly composed and impressive song. Not BOMBASTIC but perfect.

there's not a perfect song on GO. Not even a good one. There are some okay ones.

The Black Halo, the song, on the other hand is very good. Most desperately lacking on GO is melody. There simply isn't any prevalent melody to be found.

Some music intellectually satisfies me, some emotionally and a few on both ways. Kamelot is among the emotional (and imaginative) ones mainly. If i try to evaluate Kamolot's music or lyrics philosophically or intellectually, that would be a waste of time for me. There are thousands of more versatile composers, genius' or freaks out there. So now that it is pointless to discuss "emotions", i am ending my discussion unless another more discussable point occurs.

Haven't been able to get into it yet. It's like I'm listening from a distance whilst when I put on Paradise Lost I have 5 guys rhythmically punching me in the face... and this satisfies me more.