Kamelot...the Black Halo...awsome!

I've been enjoying the new Kamelot album greatly. I'm not sure it tops Epica in my mind though. Karma of course is still standing as #1 of the Kamelot albums. Black Halo is quite a fun album though, i love listening to it.

I must have listened to this album 10 times today. I absolutely LOVE IT. :hotjump:

"When the Lights Are Down" rocks my world baby!! :headbang:

You can't beat me up and take my lunch money ... I'm a girl! :D

FatesFan said:
I have been listening to the new Kamelot Album (promo) and I just had to say how amazinig it is. This band just gets better and better all the time. Do yourself a favor and get it. Has anyone else heard it?

Okay, I am interested. But in all honesty I am a fan of the Karma-styled Kamelot a lot more than what was on Epica. I didn't enjoy that album AT ALL. Too much lightweight, wandering minstrell-through-the-forest-bullshit for my taste.

We need a review, please!

!

Walter - How could you say this of Epica!? I believe it is a masterpiece! Even if you don't like it, how could you post a degrading comment like "wandering minstrell-through-the-forest-bullshit" ? I do not understand.

I don't know how he could post that either, but I agree. :)

Seriously, I was disappointed by Epica... some good songs, but it did wander a bit. It was very... indulgent, I guess. After a relatively few spins the first few weeks, I don't think I've listened to it since.

I'd be very interested in a review, esp. comparing it to the other albums. Hunter started getting my interest piqued... :)

Shaye

Oakenson said:
!

Walter - How could you say this of Epica!? I believe it is a masterpiece! Even if you don't like it, how could you post a degrading comment like "wandering minstrell-through-the-forest-bullshit" ? I do not understand.

Oak, if you would read what I posted on the 'Had to go public thread', you would now know that I post things to be a bit humorous at first. :D This is not to say that I am retracting the base of my statement, I still stand by it. I don't mean to offend any Kamelot fans as I consider myself one. It's just that I didn't care for Epica AT ALL. Especially after the masterpiece that was Karma.

But, I will slightly alter my statement by saying that Epica was too full of...

'Wandering minstrell-through-the-forest-lightweight-flimflam.' That was the G-rated version.

Cheers!
WL

I was coming on this board to post how amazing the new Kamelot is and then I saw there was a thread for it already.

The other thing I wanted to add is I think they are going to be the returning band. A sixth position wouldn't be bad for them if the lineup is anywhere near as good as they are saying (comparrible to PP3).

Hey... get this...

Lunchtime, a coworker (Higher up on the corporate ladder than me) and I go out to have a nice sitdown lunch. The whole time, he's asking me about getting a new electric-acoustic guitar, and maybe an amp. He wanted to get back into playing again. I told him to listen to how a good acoustic sounds, before he goes shopping. He wanted an example.

I played A Sailorman's Hymn and Glory from The Fourth Legacy. Heh heh heh. He loved it. And he loved Khan's voice. Then the next track came and kicked his ass and he shouted "OKAY OKAY I get the idea! Easy does it!"

Wuss.

And I'm gonna especially beat Tess up. Oh yeah. And she's gonna LOVE it. :devil: Beat her til she screams in ecstacy. Cuz I'm a good ass-ailant. :heh:

Fourth Legacy - Excellent
Karma - Excellent
Epica - Boring
The Black Halo - Not much better than Epica

Kamelot is a band I've apparently grown tired of. After reading all the hype in this thread, as well as on other boards, I was pretty psyched to hear The Black Halo. However, after a few listens, I have to say, all this talk of this being a "darker" release is just non-sense. What makes this CD darker? 30 seconds of buried vocal work by Shagrath? This is Epica II in every sense of the word. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad disc. It's just not terribly interesting. Perhaps I feel that Kamelot should be capable of so much more.

If you liked Epica, you'll probably like this one as well, maybe even moreso. However, if you felt that Epica was a step in the wrong direction for Kamelot, than you may want to proceed with caution.

General Zod said:
Karma - Excellent
Epica - Boring

Kamelot is a band I've apparently grown tired of. After reading all the hype in this thread, as well as on other boards, I was pretty psyched to hear The Black Halo. However, after a few listens, I have to say, all this talk of this being a "darker" release is just non-sense. What makes this CD darker? 30 seconds of buried vocal work by Shagrath? This is Epica II in every sense of the word. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad disc. It's just not terribly interesting. Perhaps I feel that Kamelot should be capable of so much more.

If you liked Epica, you'll probably like this one as well, maybe even moreso. However, if you felt that Epica was a step in the wrong direction for Kamelot, than you may want to proceed with caution.
I think I'm going to like it better than Epica by a decent margin. It seems to be a little more mid-tempo perhaps, and has some of that electronic , and effects and what not. I actually like mid tempo Kamelot a lot better than speedy and fast Kamelot. All in all I'd say I am pleased with this disc, but Kamelot as a whole doesn't quite do it for me like it did just a few short years ago.

So far, from what I've heard, I like it. I'm always cautious when a band claims they're going in a heavier direction. I don't want them to compromise melody just to become heavy. Like I said, so far, I like it pretty well.

General Zod said:
Karma - Excellent
Epica - Boring

I find your written opinion stated by you to seem matter of factly. I do not agree with your assesment of Epica nor The Black Halo. What it comes down to is personal opinion, bottomline. I think its awesome my self.

Bear

It really strange to me the reverence people have for Karma. I was pretty disappointed when that album was released and although I like it now I still think Epica is a much better album. To each his own, I guess...

I am in agreement with jkohn. Here is how I'd rank the Kamelot albums (the first being my favorite, the last being my least favorite).

Epica
Siege Perilous
The Fourth Legacy
Dominion

I absolutly love Epica. I believe it is their most solid and focused effort at this point. I, of course, haven't heard The Black Halo yet, but I am guessing that I am going to like it just as much as Epica, if not more.

Everyone is different, as usual!

Bryan316 said:
Hey... get this...

Lunchtime, a coworker (Higher up on the corporate ladder than me) and I go out to have a nice sitdown lunch. The whole time, he's asking me about getting a new electric-acoustic guitar, and maybe an amp. He wanted to get back into playing again. I told him to listen to how a good acoustic sounds, before he goes shopping. He wanted an example.

I played A Sailorman's Hymn and Glory from The Fourth Legacy. Heh heh heh. He loved it. And he loved Khan's voice. Then the next track came and kicked his ass and he shouted "OKAY OKAY I get the idea! Easy does it!"

Wuss.

And I'm gonna especially beat Tess up. Oh yeah. And she's gonna LOVE it. :devil: Beat her til she screams in ecstacy. Cuz I'm a good ass-ailant. :heh:

He so is a wuss!! So are you if you'd hit a woman. ESPECIALLY a woman who digs your music ... we are few and far between ;)

Listened to the new Kami again all today - I just love it more and more everyday!!

General Zod said:
Karma - Excellent
Epica - Boring

Bear said:
I find your written opinion stated by you to seem matter of factly. I do not agree with your assesment of Epica nor The Black Halo. What it comes down to is personal opinion, bottomline. I think its awesome my self.

Bear

Hmmm. Conflicting opinions on this disc. I guess I'll have to hear it myself, although I have to admit Zod's rankings (minus Black Halo) fit's my viewpoint fairly well.

I guess if I had to guess how I would like it, I think the odds of it being better than Epica aren't too slim. IMO, when a band puts out a release that you don't really care for, history has shown that they never really recapture that spark and get better again.

So far from Kamelot I own Epica, Dominion, and Siege Perilous. Epica is my favorite of the three and I have high hopes for this one. I think I will like it alot when I get it.

yea i think karma is a much more straight forward cd then epica. i love epica and it was my favorite cd by kamelot. but that is now my 2nd favorite cd :)