Kamelot

Glad to hear so many on here giving the HIGHLY underrated Thane To The Throne props, it's been in my top 25 of all time for years now, helluva disc. As far as Kamelot goes, I'd rank 'em as such:

Epica
Ghost Opera
Black Halo
Siege Perilous

can't comment on the first 2 as I don't have 'em and never heard 'em...

If you find you don't care Thane to the Throne, still make it a point to check out Casting the Stones. Very different discs.

Zod

Thanks. I might have given up after Thane to the Throne. What really shocks me after listening to that is why people love it so much. Maybe it just recalls certain memories more than it stands up now to the 'test of time.' The test of time is B.S. anyhow. Albums only need to be good the moment they are released to be of value. But I really enjoyed certain songs, and moments within songs. But there were other times that it was too rough, or inconsistent.

I am enjoying Casting the Stones a bit more, though I think that TTTT has more identity (uniqueness).

Thanks. I might have given up after Thane to the Throne. What really shocks me after listening to that is why people love it so much. Maybe it just recalls certain memories more than it stands up now to the 'test of time.' The test of time is B.S. anyhow. Albums only need to be good the moment they are released to be of value. But I really enjoyed certain songs, and moments within songs. But there were other times that it was too rough, or inconsistent.

I am enjoying Casting the Stones a bit more, though I think that TTTT has more identity (uniqueness).

TTTT bores me to death. Try "The Fourth Judgement."

The Fourth Judgement is the weakest in my opinion ... at least when compared to Thane, Casting, and Mechanized Warfare.

Casting The Stones was a really strong release .. I quite like it.

Britt

The test of time is B.S. anyhow. Albums only need to be good the moment they are released to be of value.
I'd agree that good albums only need to be good the moment they are released. Great albums need to stand the test of time.

Casting is somewhat generic.

Zod

I'd agree that good albums only need to be good the moment they are released. Great albums need to stand the test of time.

Casting is somewhat generic.

Zod

Generic done well. Which means I'll likely not revisit it, but I'd probably see them live if they came around.

---

Edit: I prefer The Age of Mastery the most so far.

+1

Yep, it was my first--I tend to be partial to my "firsts"

+1

I think this is true for me as well when it comes to most albums. Although Karma was a first for me in a different sense that Karma was the first Kamelot album I bought myself and really listened to. I had heard Epica, Dominion and Fourth Legacy before seeing them at PP, but only in passing, enough to know I liked them. Then I bought Karma at PP and enjoyed it so much more holistically as an album.

Actually, if I were going to introduce a newbie to Kamelot, I'd probably show him or her their live DVD, One Cold Winters Night. It's a superior live performance that catches the essence of the band. It still remains at the top of my list for live DVD's next to Evergrey's, A Night To Remember. :headbang:

~Brian~

Agree with you on this one. I have actually put the dvd on to a friend who's not in to metal and he actually enjoyed it a lot. And it's a great way for me to go back to that cold night in Oslo...i was there:)

For jag panzer I'd recommend in order;

Ample destruction
Chain of command
Mechanized warfare
Thane to the throne

The others never really stood out to me

For jag panzer I'd recommend in order;

Ample destruction
Chain of command
Mechanized warfare
Thane to the throne

The others never really stood out to me

Those are my top four, but different order. I'd go:

Thane
Ample
Mechanized
Chain

then,

Fourth Judgment
Casting the Stones
Age of Mastery
Dissident Alliance (terrible btw)

Kamelot did not impress me the last time they played ATL. In fact, I thought EbS and HW far outplayed and outclassed them. I think Roy Khan is the weakest link in Kamelot these days. They just aren't the same without Casey Grillo.

I think Roy Khan is the weakest link in Kamelot these days. They just aren't the same without Casey Grillo.

Casey has been with them every time I saw them, and he recently played in Europe with them :confused:

Khan may have run himself a little ragged on the last tour. I saw them twice, which is rare for me to see any band twice on the same tour. But his voice is still one of the best IMO.

Have you been to a metal concert where the singer was flawless?........ It's a rare occurrence....isn't it? :p

Kahn on his worst day blows away about 80% of the singers out there...and these guys are in a class of musicianship of very few. Invisible Guest has got it right, lets get serious...

Lets get serious .... they far outplay the local acts.
Kahn on his worst day blows away about 80% of the singers out there...and these guys are in a class of musicianship of very few. Invisible Guest has got it right, lets get serious...
Agreed. Khan now finds himself in the same situation Geoff Tate has been in for years; they set a standard that's impossible to maintain. Khan will be 40 next year. There's simply no way his body, which is his instrument, can reproduce what it did when he was 25. However, he's still in the top one percentile as a vocalist and suggesting his talent level lies below that of the local talent seems somewhat absurd.

Zod

Agreed. Khan now finds himself in the same situation Geoff Tate has been in for years; they set a standard that's impossible to maintain. Khan will be 40 next year. There's simply no way his body, which is his instrument, can reproduce what it did when he was 25. However, he's still in the top one percentile as a vocalist and suggesting his talent level lies below that of the local talent seems somewhat absurd.

Okay, I was there, so here's my $.02.

Khan was having an off day in Atlanta, but the sound was so bad you could hardly tell. :b That said, I really like EbS and HW, but no way they outplayed Kamelot. From what I recall, it was the worst Halcyon Way show I've ever seen--not to knock those guys; they're still by far the best local band out there, but the sound was godawful and Sean had a cold. They compensated well but were definitely not up to their usual par. Eclipsed by Sanity played well, but let's not get carried away--Kamelot is a seasoned national act with very strong material, years of playing together, and one of the best singers out there. I'm sure the local guys are flattered, but let's not get on our knees just yet. :rolleyes:

Shaye