Kamelot

I stopped liking Kamelot about 6 years ago when they started putting out subpar albums. I LOVED their first 4 or 5 CDs, but then they changed for some reason. I refuse to buy any new or recent Kamelot albums. I only went to their last show to see the opening bands. They made it worth my while but Kamelot disappointed me further by playing mainly tunes from their 2 most recent albums, much to my disgust. I don't intend to ever watch another Kamelot set again in my lifetime. That's how I personally feel about them. THEY SUCK! No offense to you Kamelot worshippers out there, but there's tons of bands out there that make this band look and sound like the Mouseketeers! The only way I'd give Kamelot another chance would be if they fired Khan and hired another lead vocalist.

I stopped liking Kamelot about 6 years ago when they started putting out subpar albums. I LOVED their first 4 or 5 CDs, but then they changed for some reason. I refuse to buy any new or recent Kamelot albums. I only went to their last show to see the opening bands. They made it worth my while but Kamelot disappointed me further by playing mainly tunes from their 2 most recent albums, much to my disgust. I don't intend to ever watch another Kamelot set again in my lifetime. That's how I personally feel about them. THEY SUCK! No offense to you Kamelot worshippers out there, but there's tons of bands out there that make this band look and sound like the Mouseketeers! The only way I'd give Kamelot another chance would be if they fired Khan and hired another lead vocalist.

Wait a second.... You're telling me a band on tour promoting a new album played mostly newer songs? No wai!

Did Roy Khan kill your dog?

Wait a second.... You're telling me a band on tour promoting a new album played mostly newer songs? No wai!

Did Roy Khan kill your dog?
I understand what you're saying, but I think they could've mixed the set up just a bit more. At least they played "Forever", for which I was grateful. I just don't personally like Roy Khan whatsoever. I know I'm in the minority here, but that's my opinion.:saint:

I think Roy Khan is a stellar studio vocalist. However, his voice fails to hold up live. The first time I saw them his voice was fine. From what Met-Al tells me, I lucked out on that one. Now, I know my boyfriend can be a picky bastard when it comes to singers, but he idolized Roy Khan for a very long time. So even though he was warning me before we saw Kamelot this last time not to expect much, I ignored him. To say Khan's voice was gone would be an understatement. His high range was nonexistant, and his low range was barely there, as well. His voice constantly cracked, he consistently utilized cheats while singing (jerking the mic to the side, espeically on high notes, in hopes that folks won't notice his voice crack) and just sounded terrible.

Every time I hear someone talk about that tour, no matter where the band was playing, they said that Khan's voice was simply not there. Add to this that Al has seen Khan live 6 times (once with Conception) and he claims only 2 of those times was Khan's voice in decent shape, I very much believe that Roy Khan just does not possess the skill and stamina needed anymore. Furthermore, the man smokes (or used to) which is not good for a singer whose vocal cords are sensitive.

I doubt I'll be seeing Kamelot live anymore, but I still very much enjoy their studio output, and as long as they keep putting out good music, I'll buy those albums. Like I said at the start of this rant, Khan is a stellar studio singer. :)

I understand what you're saying, but I think they could've mixed the set up just a bit more.
I think Kamelot is aware that the majority of their fans are recent fans, and those fans want to hear the newer material. In addition, the band is on tour to promote the new album.

I suspect you're looking at a Kamelot show the same way you might view a Maiden show. However, whereas Maiden's strongest material clearly lies at the beginning of their discography, Kamelot's most popular material is their newer stuff. Those are the songs they've shot videos for, those are the songs that have driven their best CD sales. It's unrealistic to expect their set to be loaded with 10 - 15 year old material (the first 4 CDs).

Zod

Agreed. Khan now finds himself in the same situation Geoff Tate has been in for years; they set a standard that's impossible to maintain. Khan will be 40 next year. There's simply no way his body, which is his instrument, can reproduce what it did when he was 25. However, he's still in the top one percentile as a vocalist and suggesting his talent level lies below that of the local talent seems somewhat absurd.

Zod

Yet, there are others who maintain. Its about how you treat your voice, and, I think, a willingness to keep practicing. I generally despise vocalists, because they don't feel a need to practice. Whereas a lot of guitarists practice often, even if by practicing its only playing the songs they'll be playing on tour. Vocalists need to do proper warmups in order to keep a strong healthy voice. But our chords do change over time and certain ranges might change.

From seeing Khan, and hearing other things about him, I have a feeling that he could use some surgery to remove some nodes. That's how his voice came off to me. He was awesome in the lower ranges, but he couldn't do so much of what he's good at. People wonder why his current music is much more goth-rock, its because that is what he can do. However, the night that I, and Shaye saw him, I seriously wonder if he was even singing half the time because you couldn't hear him . Yet, then he could sing the 'god, my god, why have you forsaken me, in my sobriety' just like it was on the album. It was... strange. Hard to get excited to ever see Kamelot again.

I think Kamelot is aware that the majority of their fans are recent fans, and those fans want to hear the newer material. In

Not liking the setlist is completely separate from saying they put on a bad show. Even not liking a singer is a separate issue. I did not particularly enjoy the setlist, and I was somewhat disappointed with Khan's performance (what I could hear of it), but they still played well. I guess YMMV applies here.

Shaye

Wow, its disappointing to hear that Khan's voice is gone when it comes to playing live, I've never seen Kamelot and have always wanted to catch them live, although when I saw Khan at PP with Conception he sounded great, so...

Yet, there are others who maintain.
I'm not sure I agree. There are those who maintain a larger percentage of their range for a longer period of time. However, which vocalist (now 40+) can do everything he did when he was 20?

Its about how you treat your voice, and, I think, a willingness to keep practicing. I generally despise vocalists, because they don't feel a need to practice.
I don't doubt this plays a part. But a big part of it is also genetic, just like all things regarding the body are.

Whereas a lot of guitarists practice often, even if by practicing its only playing the songs they'll be playing on tour. Vocalists need to do proper warmups in order to keep a strong healthy voice. But our chords do change over time and certain ranges might change.
Again, I agree to an extent. It's hard to compare anything to singing, because your body is your instrument.

Zod

I'm not sure I agree. There are those who maintain a larger percentage of their range for a longer period of time. However, which vocalist (now 40+) can do everything he did when he was 20?

I don't know, I never heard Urban sing when he was 20. ;)

On a serious note, Urban is the poster child for taking care of his voice--has never smoked, drank, etc. He is not yet 40, but I am definitely curious as to whether he thinks age has taken its toll. I know he is unhappy with his latest (live) performances, but I don't know if age is a factor in that particular issue.

I completely agree with your statement that only so much is within our control, and we are simply subject to the way we are programmed.

Zod,

Two vocalists come to mind who can belt it out like they did over twenty years ago: James Rivera and Harry Conklin. Granted, those guys are freaks of nature, but God-given gifts alone couldn't help them maintain what they have.

I know I'm picky when it comes to vocalists, but I'm not expecting perfection. I understand that most singers aren't going to have their range forever, and I'm aware that no singer is going to be on their A game every night. However, I feel that certain singers don't put forth the necessary effort to keep their voices as strong as possible. Khan is one such singer. He was excellent 1/3 of the times I saw him, pretty good another 1/3 of those times, and absolutely godawful the remaining 1/3. The remaining 1/3 took place the last two times I saw him. This man seriously needs to take some time off to let his voice heal, and then he needs to get additional training before he completely destroys his vocal chords. As much as a lot of people love the way Kamelot sounds with Khan, the word will spread if he keeps letting down audiences like this. They've already replaced one singer, and I guarantee there will be a line of singers just waiting for their chance to be in this band if given the opportunity.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

My 2nd favorite. Just out of curiosity, was Karma the first Kamelot CD you heard?

Zod

Karma was the first one I heard from them. It's not my favorite from them, but I think it is just a really strong CD from start to finish. It really gives you a feel for Kamelot. It's kind of a transition album. Their post Karma stuff has a different sound. IMO the "Elizabeth" trilogy is epic.

FWIW, I LOVE Thane to the Throne. It took a bit to grow on me, but I really like it.

I think Roy Khan is a stellar studio vocalist. However, his voice fails to hold up live. The first time I saw them his voice was fine. From what Met-Al tells me, I lucked out on that one. Now, I know my boyfriend can be a picky bastard when it comes to singers, but he idolized Roy Khan for a very long time. So even though he was warning me before we saw Kamelot this last time not to expect much, I ignored him. To say Khan's voice was gone would be an understatement. His high range was nonexistant, and his low range was barely there, as well. His voice constantly cracked, he consistently utilized cheats while singing (jerking the mic to the side, espeically on high notes, in hopes that folks won't notice his voice crack) and just sounded terrible.

Every time I hear someone talk about that tour, no matter where the band was playing, they said that Khan's voice was simply not there. Add to this that Al has seen Khan live 6 times (once with Conception) and he claims only 2 of those times was Khan's voice in decent shape, I very much believe that Roy Khan just does not possess the skill and stamina needed anymore. Furthermore, the man smokes (or used to) which is not good for a singer whose vocal cords are sensitive.

I doubt I'll be seeing Kamelot live anymore, but I still very much enjoy their studio output, and as long as they keep putting out good music, I'll buy those albums. Like I said at the start of this rant, Khan is a stellar studio singer. :)

I agree with everything you said ....about Khan and about Al. ;)