Kamelot's "Ghost Opera" (CD + DVD)

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I bought this yesterday at Circuit City, but I haven't had the chance to spin the CD and watch the DVD yet. Does anyone else have the special edition? If so, what's your take on the CD and the DVD?

~Brian~

For those interested, CC and Best Buy both have the Dream Theater for $11.99 (just the standard disc, no dvd).....I didn't see the Kamelot at the CC I was at but will try Best Buy over the weekend......

I bought the Kamelot Limited Edition CD + DVD at Best Buy for $14.99 as well as the Special Edition Dream Theater and the new Nocturnal Rites.

I pre-ordered Ghost Opera LE and the Dream Theater SE from CDInzane (because they were the only ones I could find domestically that were carrying the Kamelot LE when I was scrambling to find what I thought was going to be a hard-to-find LE.) Both arrived yesterday.

My early take on each is that the Kamelot CD is vastly superior overall song-wise - and I'm not comparing musicianship here, only SONGS (although the Kamelot boys are no slouches either.) I'm not quite buying what Portnoy and gang attempted on Systematic Chaos - Mike needs to stick to drums rather than "sing" IMO. There are some jaw-dropping musical elements to the SC album, don't get me wrong, but overall I am more inclined to listen to GO on an ongoing basis.

- but -

Credit where credit is due, the Dream Theater DVD kills Kamelot's attempt at including a "bonus" in a Limited/Special Edition. The DT documentary is quite interesting and put together well. Clocking in at 90 minutes it is well worth the extra $ to have (besides the cover is cooler.)

The Kamelot bonus DVD contains the video for Ghost Opera (the song) and behind the scenes footage of the video shoot, but without commentary - it's just set to the music of the song. And that's it. Kind of disappointing, really. However the Limited Edition is well worth an extra buck or two just for the bonus track "The Pendulous Fall." It's a really good song and isn't a b-side throwaway in the least!

I LOVE Ghost Opera. I put it right up there with The Black Halo, although the two dics are quite different. While The Black Halo is more bombastic and wider in it's overall sound, Ghost Opera dwells primarily in the worlds of melancholy and darkness. It's subtle textures throughout are just beautiful. Orchestration on every track is so perfect for the mood of each song. I think Oliver (keys) had a lot to do with this aspect of the disc, as the orchestration is above anything that Kamelot has done so far.

Roy turns in his best, most emotion filled performance yet. His voice has more body and bravado than ever. Even though he keeps his range in the mid-lower to lower registers, he still effortlessly rises and falls in the faster paced tracks like Ghost Opera, Echo Echo, and The Pendulous Fall. Roy has always been my favorite vocalist since I discovered him with Conception. But when I listen to Conception, and even the previous Kamelot, you can easily hear just how much more developed and focused he has become in the mid and lower registers where he is at his natural best. The chugging riffs and high orchestral parts are a great counterpart to Roy's lower registers.

At first listen, I thought Ghost Opera was good, about 8/10. I could definitely tell that the band was moving into a newer, darker territory where they haven't been before. After about three more listens with the headphones on, all the subtle details and textures really come to notice and the songs start to take on and identity of their own which I didn't hear on the first listen. It's become a 10/10 for me, as is The Black Halo.

I applaud the band for actually doing something new and different without just giving us a repeat of a previous CD. As great as the Black Halo is and as happy as most (me included) would have been for a clone as a follow-up, I like Ghost Opera just as much. It can't be compared to anything else they've done in terms of its overall sound and mood. The disc is a complete package polished to perfection. All this while the band still retains it's metal roots. Kamelot is truly a band that progresses professionally with each disc. Queensryche was great for that until HINTF. Unlike Queensryche, I don't expect Kamelot to sell-out and simplify to an AOR approach anytime soon.

All this while the band still retains it's metal roots. Kamelot is truly a band that progresses professionally with each disc. Queensryche was great for that until HINTF. Unlike Queensryche, I don't expect Kamelot to sell-out and simplify to an AOR approach anytime soon.

Great summary Fiddler! I've said for sometime now that Kamelot is my Queensryche replacement. That's odd that you bring it up. :headbang:

~Brian~

^^^

+1

Great review, Fiddler! After a few more spins of this disc, I'm inclined to agree with everything you said here about Ghost Opera.

Now as far as Sytematic Chaos, I still can't get into that disc, and since you mentioned it above it started me thinking... Have Dream Theater just created their HINTF and jumped the proverbial shark?

I've had the CD for a few days now but haven't started getting into my latest shipment. Finally received the new albums from After Forever, Within Temptation, & this one. I pretty much always get the special editions. Though none are open, I have listened to all 3 CDs a lot in the last two months. *whistles*
I also picked up Sonata's latest at Best Buy last weekend. Had a little money left over on a giftcard so figured why not. It's amazing how much easier it is finding these albums lately.
I can't wait to see Kamelot in August. It looks like it'll be my first show of a number in a fun late summer/fall. So far there's Kamelot, Firewind/Sonata (got on the guest list for free so figured why not), PP, Nightwish, possibly Epica (I might wait to decide once hear the upcoming CD), and now a good possibility of Therion. Also think I'm missing another one or two in there.....

Great summary Fiddler! I've said for sometime now that Kamelot is my Queensryche replacement. That's odd that you bring it up. :headbang:

~Brian~
I've got to agree with you fellas ... Kamelot ended up being my Ryche replacement as well. Conception would have probably been the replacement, but they had broke up just prior to my discovering them. When Khan came to Kamelot my love for the band soared.

By the way .. I'd score Ghost Opera as a 9/10 .. it's quite excellent. I like the mid tempo, experimental Kamelot sound a lot, so this disc was right up my alley. Tunes like The Human Stain, Rule The World, and Blucher just work real well for me. My least favorite track on this album is Up Through The Ashes, but I still consider it to be solid at least.

Britt

^^^

+1

Great review, Fiddler! After a few more spins of this disc, I'm inclined to agree with everything you said here about Ghost Opera.

Now as far as Sytematic Chaos, I still can't get into that disc, and since you mentioned it above it started me thinking... Have Dream Theater just created their HINTF and jumped the proverbial shark?

+2

I also have to agree. I picked up both Kamelot and Dream Theater at the FYE in the mall just across the street from my place. I have listened to and enjoy the Dream Theater album a good three times or so, and do think it is pretty good, but I also found that I really enjoyed Ghost Opera that much more. It is a toss-up as to if this or Black Halo is the "better" one (I went and listened to Black Halo again since I've not spun it in a bit, just to "refresh" my memory). These are both excellent albums. After having seen Kamelot twice (and a third time come this August), they are quickly becoming one of my most favorite bands. I also love Roy's vocals as well. The emotion is definitely there. Not only that, the orchestration on this album is just stunning! The recording quality of the album itself is top-notch. This is one album that certainly is worth trying to listen to on a good high-end audio system (in my case, Klipsch Reference 7 with B&K gear) or at least with a good pair of headphones (again, in my case, a pair of Shure e3c's hooked up to my 5th gen iPod).

I see a mention of Nocturnal Rite's new one - sounds like another trip to Best Buy is in order.

Gosh, well I'm just having no luck with music recently.
I thought the new Sonata Arctica album was ho-hum. I like Paid in Full quite a bit, but it is sadly the best song on the CD. I got Ecliptica in the same shipment to finish out my collection and it's gotten the bulk of my listening thusfar. That's a great CD.
I got the special edition Kamelot today and on first listen I was just bored by it. I love the band and own all of their albums, but this just doesn't do it. No song actually stands out...they all sort of blend together in a missmesh of blahness. It's better than anything on the radio, and perhaps it will get better with more listens, but I'm just not feeling it.
I should be getting Systematic Chaos here in a day or two, but DT has become an obligation to buy. With the exception of a song here and there, I haven't loved an album of theirs since Metropolis Pt 2. Given the reviews thusfar, I don't really have anything to look forward to with this one.

Somebody, please, name a new band or CD that can WOW me. The new Raintime will hopefully deliver for me. New After Forever? We'll see.
I just need a fix bad!

I don't post a lot. Am I allowed to complain? :)

I seriously did not realize this album was going to be out as soon as NOW! I usually get to fiddle with new albums the night before they are publically released and my pants were nicely soiled when I held GHOST OPERA into my hands. CD AND DVD!!! GODDAMN!! There was alot of metal to come out that next day too (including the new Iced Earth single, which my heart sadly still has no interest in no matter how damn good it is). Ghost Opera is amazing. Kamelot always seems to out do themselves to me, and this album is EVERYTHING I wanted it to be. Sadly said I do not own it yet so I can't snuggle with it as I type this, but the thought of the beauty that is this album brings me to glee.

On a side note with the new Nocturnal Rites, I got a promo copy of it at work (this is another that crept up on me, june 5? it's out now!). Nocturnal Rites much like Kamelot (moreso in a way, I've been mad for NR since the dawning of time :p) is a band that I just love everything they have to offer me. This album is more in the slower heavier way of Grand Illusion, which is just fine with me, lol. They have had many chances to attack me with SPEED, I don't mind just heaviness at times. I really wish I had the one and only chance to see them live. One day... :)

It's better than The Black Halo, but to me every other Kamelot album is better than The Black Halo. As far as songs go I'd rank it below Epica, and The Fourth Legacy, and about on par with Karma.
The production on the CD is excellent. I don't think any other Kamelot has the deep rich tone that this one does.

The production on the CD is excellent. I don't think any other Kamelot has the deep rich tone that this one does.

Absolutely. This disc is all about the subtle details being delicately layered and layered and then layered some more to produce the incredibly lush and textured sounds.

For those with a ten second attention span, "Ghost Opera" probably won't do much for you after just one listen. It's not a straight-forward catchy rocker like The Fourth Legacy. Fortunately fans have a wide selection of styles and moods to choose from with the Kamelot catalog. Each offering has it's own identity.

I got the special edition Kamelot today and on first listen I was just bored by it. I love the band and own all of their albums, but this just doesn't do it. No song actually stands out...they all sort of blend together in a missmesh of blahness.

That's certainly a fair assessment after a first listen - I also had a similar opinion.

As much as I like being blown away by a very catchy, fast-rocking disc (like Firewind's "Allegiance") that just grabs me by the throat and twists my spine on the very first listen, I can just as easily enjoy a complex treasure hunt of a disc that reveals more of its secrets with each successive listen. "Ghost Opera" is one of those discs for me.

With each listen, I collect more and more jewels and coins that are were hidden in the sand. When the excavation is over after completely combing and sifting through sand, I put all the individual treasures in the empty chest from which they were spilled, and am awed at the richness of the huge collection and the variety of items sitting in that single chest. The collection is again whole, ready to inspire upon opening just as the person who packed the chest had intented.

Finding and appreciating musical treasures like Firewinds, "Allegiance" are like visiting a martime museum where everything is handsomely presented in a single collection. You don't need to look around for anything - everything has been found, polished, and presented so you are immediately stricken by the richness of the treasure. The expanse of the buried treasure was never a mystery for you - you found it all right away. The curators of the exhibit didn't hide anything from you. Your experience is in the "now" and not in the "future" - when you come back to visit the exbhibit tomorrow, next week, or next month, nothing will have changed.

Compare that experience to an active archaeological shipwreck excavation in the middle of the ocean where every day the explorers discover something new gems that they couldn't see on just their first look, because they were hidden amongst the timbers that formed the backbone of the ship.

If you're feel that the journey is more important than the final destination, then "Ghost Opera" will prove to be a very rewarding travel for you.

Absolutely. This disc is all about the subtle details being delicately layered and layered and then layered some more to produce the incredibly lush and textured sounds.

For those with a ten second attention span, "Ghost Opera" probably won't do much for you after just one listen. It's not a straight-forward catchy rocker like The Fourth Legacy. Fortunately fans have a wide selection of styles and moods to choose from with the Kamelot catalog. Each offering has it's own identity.

I have to disagree here. I've listened to Ghost Opera in excess of 25 times now, and I am less and less impressed with each listen. The production is flawless, of course, and there are plenty of subtle details and nuances, but I feel that this time around these details have taken the place of the strong songwriting that made Kamelot what it was in the past.

This is by no means a bad album, but when I asked myself, "Which of these songs are going to be Kamelot classics?", I came up with nothing. This album has all of the finesse, but none of the substance.

The Fourth Legacy, on the other hand, is an album I appreciate more and more with each listen. Yes there are some straightforward rockers like the title track, but it truly takes time to appreciate everything in a song like Lunar Sanctum, for example.

The Ghost Opera disc definately grows on you. I still think the live disc from the concert DVD is the best thing ever. Khan is just amazing and surprisingly sounds better live then on studio albums. I don't think I could dislike anything with Khan on vocals. I never really hated Ghost Opera, but I wasn't compelled to play it over and over. These days I quite rather enjoy it, to cleanse the palate sometimes.

AC2 asked for some bands that will kick your ass. These following bands have impressed me as of late.

Compos Mentis http://www.composmentis.dk/
Their newest album Gehenesis is some great Melodic Death metal. Their song "The Drunken Diamond" just kicks your ass right from the start.

Thurisaz http://www.thurisaz.be/
Their Circaidian Rhythm album is alright, they are also Melodic Death metal.

Daysend http://www.daysend.com/
Their Album The Warning is hard to describe. There's many elements to the songs some can have growling parts, thrash, prog,etc,etc. They are from Austrailia and for some reason I can't help but think if this is what pure metal may have evolved into if it was not shoved under the carpet in favor of Grunge and Metalcore. Hard to expain what I'm thinking; I just get the feeling of listening to a commercial band for the masses but at the same time it's good. I could see this playing alternative radio maybe; but it feels metal.

Fairytale Abuse - http://www.fairytale-abuse.com/
Their CD "The Spirit Tower" is awesome. They are Black /shrug Death? Melodic Metal band. This isn't that new and I hear they are working on a new album at this time.