Kamelot's "Ghost Opera" (CD + DVD)

My only complaints with the live CD/DVD are the solos and ADD camera work (can we PLEASE stay focused on one thing for more than 2 seconds!). I'd much rather have 1 or 2 additional songs over the solos, too. Or at least work the solos INTO songs. But they did Elizabeth so everything is forgiven.

So far, I'm with AC2.

The new DT didn't do much for me. Ghost Opera is sort of dull. Unia I actually like quite a bit so far, though. I also picked up Avenged Sevenfold's Waking The Fallen. Bleh.

The new Sonata is the only thing I've picked up recently that I've been able to get into. I've given everything about 5 listens so far, so who knows what'll end up growing on me.

I have to disagree here. I've listened to Ghost Opera in excess of 25 times now, and I am less and less impressed with each listen. The production is flawless, of course, and there are plenty of subtle details and nuances, but I feel that this time around these details have taken the place of the strong songwriting that made Kamelot what it was in the past.

This is by no means a bad album, but when I asked myself, "Which of these songs are going to be Kamelot classics?", I came up with nothing. This album has all of the finesse, but none of the substance.

The Fourth Legacy, on the other hand, is an album I appreciate more and more with each listen. Yes there are some straightforward rockers like the title track, but it truly takes time to appreciate everything in a song like Lunar Sanctum, for example.

I agree with you for the most part, but Blücher stands out for me. It's different and I'd like to see it live.

@The Fiddler...nice treasure analogy, I have a feeling I'll keep that in mind when listening to future albums. Ghost Opera has been on very high rotation for me...another quality Kamelot release. I do wish the DVD had some more content, but that's a minor complaint.

For those interested, CC and Best Buy both have the Dream Theater for $11.99 (just the standard disc, no dvd).....I didn't see the Kamelot at the CC I was at but will try Best Buy over the weekend......

Good luck, I went to 3 best buys and didn't see any Kamelot. Picked up the DT disc though.

Good luck, I went to 3 best buys and didn't see any Kamelot. Picked up the DT disc though.

I went to three Best Buys and a Circuit City without finding The Ghost Opera. They did have Black Halo and/or One Cold Winter's Night at a few places, so I can hope they get their act together by the time the Symphony X disc comes out.

I miss Tower.

I went to three Best Buys and a Circuit City without finding The Ghost Opera. They did have Black Halo and/or One Cold Winter's Night at a few places, so I can hope they get their act together by the time the Symphony X disc comes out.

I miss Tower.

I would suggest ordering the Limited Edition of Ghost Opera online (Amazon?) so you could get the bonus track "The Pendulous Fall." It's a song that is well worth trying to track one of these down before they are gone. The "bonus" DVD is a bit weak - just the GO video and a behind-the-scenes making of the video set to the music of the song - but I guess it's cool to watch once.

Speaking of the Ghost Opera video, it's set to make its Headbanger's Ball debut on the 6/23 show according to a Blabbermouth article... hopefully this will be the start of something big for the Kamelot guys.

The bonus track, "The Pendulous Fall" is so strong, I can't understand why it's not part of the regular disc. It's a favorite of mine and is as strong or stronger than any other song on the disc - and it's a rocker. It's a shame that people who don't pick up the limited edition version (because they don't know about it or can't find it) will be missing out on this great piece of music (and be impressed with the band that much more). "The Pendulous Fall" is prime-time material. :headbang:

Anyway, I give the band credit for writing a truly strong and original song to include and identify as a bonus track instead of a "B-side", a radio edit, a remix, or a cover song. I hate it when bands call the later a "bonus". :puke:

FYE usually has a lot of metal titles. It's where I picked up Orphaned Land. But their prices are also ridiculous.
The best place b&M store I find is the Virgin store in Times Square. Of course, I don't make many trips there. HMV also has a great import section.

I'm hooked on the first track - that riff and chorus is completely infectious.

Yeah, that violin completely smokes, but I don't recall any lyrics! :lol:

I'm actually hopeful that they will release a video for Rule the World (with the Solitaire intro) because that is also my favorite track on the CD.

From what I've read on the Kamelot forums though, it appears that The Human Stain is the next video to be released (Khan has apparently stated as much from the stage on their recent European tour,) and there is a rumor that they've shot a third (Mourning Star) but I don't think that's been confirmed by any official sources.

Does anyone have the Japanese Import? I'm curious to know what the bonus track Season's End sounds like - but not $37.99 curious.

FYE usually has a lot of metal titles. It's where I picked up Orphaned Land. But their prices are also ridiculous.
The best place b&M store I find is the Virgin store in Times Square. Of course, I don't make many trips there. HMV also has a great import section.
no fye store close to me and the Virgin store in Burbank closed last year. With L.A. supposedly the music capital we sure don't have any record stores left:erk:

The bonus track, "The Pendulous Fall" is so strong, I can't understand why it's not part of the regular disc. It's a favorite of mine and is as strong or stronger than any other song on the disc - and it's a rocker. It's a shame that people who don't pick up the limited edition version (because they don't know about it or can't find it) will be missing out on this great piece of music (and be impressed with the band that much more). "The Pendulous Fall" is prime-time material. :headbang:

I was about to say the same thing! That bonus track does kick-ass. I'll admit that I thought it was probably one of the best tracks on that album. I also thought how cool it was to hear some an awesome piece of music as a bonus track instead of the usual "re-mix" or "acoustic" or "b-side" or "un-release (most likely because it was crap to include on the original album to begin with)" type track.

As an aside, gotta love camping in the 21st century! Nothing like surfing the 'net while in the woods at my camp site (gotta love KOA and the free wireless accesss! o_O)

I agree with a few posters. I wasn't impressed after the first listen. But it has gotten better with each successive listen. I've been trading off listening to this album and AF's album. Well except for tonight when I had to get ready for Asia tomorrow night. John Wetton has such a great voice.

I enjoyed Ghost Opera; however, it is not as strong as The Black Halo. I may be a bit biased since TBH was the first Kamelot release I listened to. Epica is my second favorite; TBH is a complete work which I do not skip through to another song.

Kamelot has a great track record with bonus tracks. "Snow" and "Like The Shadows" are two of the best tracks on Epica, "Once And Future King" is a cool tune on Karma, and "The Pendulous Fall" kicks ass on Ghost Opera. I just ordered the Japanese version of Ghost Opera, so I'll let you know about the quality of "Season's End".

Btw, I really like the "Solitaire"/"Rule The Night" opening of the disc, as well! :headbang:

PHP:
It's subtle textures throughout are just beautiful. Orchestration on every track is so perfect for the mood of each song. I think Oliver (keys) had a lot to do with this aspect of the disc, as the orchestration is above anything that Kamelot has done so far.

Actually, Oliver had little to do with the construction of the songs, or even of most of the keyboards, most of which were done by Miro.

Amazing album, i cannot even describe it.

I got both the new Dream Theater and Kamelot albums at FYE, and both were the special editions w/ DVDs. That being said, the special edition of Kamelot is a total waste. What's the point of including a bonus DVD when you're done watching it in like 10 minutes, and that includes watching basically the same 5 minute thing twice.