Kataklysm - totally over-rated?

jonnykungfu

May 7, 2004
USA
This is my first post, so bitching about a band might be a bad way to start out, but I really want to get some other peoples opinions here. First off, does anyone actually LIKE Kataklysm? If so, why? I'm not trying to be an elitist here, but they're totally unoriginal and boring (I've only heard Shadows and Dust, so if the other ones are better, so sorry for judging so soon). Plus, the drummer's blast beats are awful. They aren't even real blast beats!! Could they not find someone better or have they never even heard what a real blastbeat sounds like? And the vocalist is terrible too. The music just sounds like your basic melodic death, except a bit more mosh pit oriented. Nothing special. Sorry. Opinions, please. Oh and the reason I'm doing this bitching is because I've heard pretty much unopposed praise for the band (and album), which I'm totally confused about.

They're substandard. I've never heard much praise about them though, they're not talked-about much around here anyway. In actual fact i'd hazard to say most into death metal would acknowledge they're an unremarkable band.

I've got Shadows & Dust and Serenity In Fire, and I enjoy them occasionally. They've got some good riffs, some grooves akin to Dying Fetus, and the odd successful melodic part, so they're not totally worthless, but they are definately nothing special. Anyone who claims they are clearly hasn't sampled much death metal.

I've heard the whole of...one song. Shadows and Dust.

Of course, harly anything to make a very valid judgement, but from that song I have no desire to check them out further. Pretty boring.

That song was all over the metal tv/radio channel in the states last year when I was there for the summer, and I really digged it. the opening was awesome. I checked-em out when I got back and found out the rest of their stuff wasn't so good.

It may just been in South Louisiana that they get a lot of praise, or it may just be from death metal "newbies", seeing as they have an accessable sound. But I hear a lot about them, and see a lot of t-shirts, and my best friend (whose opinion I normally trust on metal) recommended them to me. So I checked out Shadows and Dust. And it was... less than mediocre, with some okay grooves once in a while.

From what I have heard though, they're sort of underground legends, but I guess that's wrong.

And about the blast beats... at least on Shadows and Dust, he doesn't alternate the bass and snare, but actually just does a single tap roll, while hitting the bass pedal on the first of every 4th or 8th beat, and hits no cymbals (which would be basically impossible, unless you're some sort of a maniac). As a (shitty) drummer, I can tell you that this is pretty fucking easy. And sounds like shit. Especially when he does longer blast sections, like on the opening to the third track. Maybe the other albums are better, but I'm not too interested in finding out.

Since I don't want to start a whole new thread just to bitch about another band, I'll say it here:

Incantation is the same way for me, but it might just be because I've only heard their Blasphemy album. It seemed like really boring, shitty, under-produced, mediocre bullshit death metal. But I've heard they are underground legends, and I see a lot of DM bands wearing their t-shirts. But they suck. Opinions?

I think they're completely overrated and boring but I'm going to see them in a week or so because they're playing with Misery Index who I think are pretty good.

Hehe, yeah. Misery Index ain't a shadow of the band Dying Fetus was and still is. The only thing I can remember after finishing off a listen of Retaliate is the first minute of the first song.

Edgecrusher said:
Dying Fetus > Misery Index

What the hell happened to Kevin Talley? Did he just drop out of the music scene or is he in another band?
He's back in Misery Index

and about Kataklysm they are totally average but alot metalcore/death metal newbs love them cause they are so simple and have fast drumming....they don't deserve the praise they get but they aren't the worst band in the world either

Kataklysm are a mediocre death metal band, with a somewhat melodic and catchy sound, which makes them a good band for people who are just getting into death metal. As for Incantation, I have Blasphemy, and I don't think it's good at all; very boring and monotonous, just like you said. But some of Incantation's other albums are supposedly far better.

Edgecrusher said:
Dying Fetus > Misery Index

What the hell happened to Kevin Talley? Did he just drop out of the music scene or is he in another band?
He recorded the drums on Soils of Fate's last album "Crime Syndicate". One of the few Swedish death metal bands worth something.

Kataklysm fucking rules! Shadows and Dust makes me wanna go out and die on a battlefield. You fuckers lack the testicals to appreciate ball driven music. I give kataklysm "two thumbs" Up \m/