Katatonia 9 years on

ciccio12

Large Member
Apr 25, 2006
Stafford, Little Britain.
Katatonia have changed a lot since the days of Brave Murder Day, when I discovered them, but they've always been consistent and never sold out.

Although they have definitely moved out of the death metal cave for good, into a more luxurious accomodation, what was good about Brave Murder Day was the total and most intense ferocity, frustration and sweetness at the same time. The thing I liked most was that drum beat. The simplicity.

Today I think they have maturated a lot and experimented a lot.
I think if today they tried to make an album in the old style with the new expertise, it would be an extremely fucking good piece of work.

Pure gutsy heavy fucking metal honest to God, or Satan whichever is yours.
I know this opinion is shared by a lot of people back home, I'm intrested to know what everyone else thinks.

Doubtful that Katatonia will ever fully return to their Doom/Black/Death roots, which doesn't really bother me. Been there done that. Hard to improve on Brave Murder Day. I enjoy their current style more than the old style I believe, mainly because they fill a niche that didn't exist before their new style. Not that there weren't bands out there playing music somewhat similar, just that the style, vibe, and emotion of Katatonia brings alot to this kind of music.

Keltoi said:
Doubtful that Katatonia will ever fully return to their Doom/Black/Death roots, which doesn't really bother me. Been there done that. Hard to improve on Brave Murder Day. I enjoy their current style more than the old style I believe, mainly because they fill a niche that didn't exist before their new style. Not that there weren't bands out there playing music somewhat similar, just that the style, vibe, and emotion of Katatonia brings alot to this kind of music.

what he said...

I'd absolutely adore another album in the realms of Discouraged Ones/Tonight's Decision, but I'm more than happy with whatever Katatonia release, providing it's good music :). Thus far it has been, I hope it continues!