Just discovered Katatonia

Sputnik

Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
I have just discovered Katatonia, Im a huge Opeth fan so I bought the brave murder day offcourse. I think Mr Åkerfeldt fits in Katatonia very well and when a listening to the later stuff Im getting a little dissapointed when I hear the other singer...clean singer. I dont think he fits the amazing music at all! He sounds like David Hassellhoff from Baywatch :mad:

Am I the only one who think this? It could be a such AMAZING band if they changed the leadsinger.

Please dont flame me for my personal opinions :s

He sounds like David Hassellhoff from Baywatch

Now that you've mentioned it...a slight similarity can't be denied :p

albummitch2(big).jpg

brandford4.jpg

The fact that people differ in opinion really is a beautiful thing.

I think "Brave.Murder.Day" would be BETTER with Jonas' all-clean vocals! I LOVE Opeth & Mikael, but I simply feel that the "clean", melodic style suits Katatonia's music so much better!!

Can you imagine "Strained" with death-vox? Or "Sulfer"?
They would sorely lack with the death vocals.

Actually, MOST bands that still do, or have used the death vocals at one time are SO MUCH BETTER now that they have ceased using them (Anathema, In the Woods, the Gathering, Tiamat, etc). I just wish Aaron from My Dying Bride didn't regress back in time.....

Enjoy!

I have 'Do the Limbo Dance' 7" single by David Hasselhoff (not for sale :D ) and I must say that Jonas can't really compete with David. :lol:

well, i think that death-growls wouldn't fit the newer katatonia stuff at all. If you want more of that BraveMD - stuff, check out finnish band called Rapture. They souund almost the same as Katatonias BMD.

Besides vocals on LFDGD are really amazing, and I prefer Jonas's voice compared to Mr Åkerfeldt. And Opeth would be a lot more enjoyable to me, if they used more clean vocs. and less mrrrrggghhghhghmmrmrmr ones

i liked katatonia since i heard Tonights Decision, i love the vocals and cant see anything wrong with them, i always did think of them as the metal equivalent of Radiohead (thats a good thing, what with radiohead being one of my favourite bands)
BMD is great too but i like the way theyve gone, i have no complaints and look forward to their next cd.

Jonas' voice is just wonderful,he does so good in expressing his feelings through his fragile voice i think but i will listen to the next record before i buy it because in LFDGD there is something missing, the sound has become too dynamic i think,that may be through the new drummer.I know,Tonight's decision was very "heavy" in production too but Dan Swanö didn't play so much fill ins like Daniel,i think his playing was just fitting in at every moment on the album .I listened to LFDGD a dozen times but it just can't really excite me like the other ones.That's my opinion.But they still are my number1 favourite band because they are just different.
Take your time exploring the band and the different moods and maybe you will soon love this band like i do.

The thing is...I cant listen to Katatonias later stuff beacause of Jonas Hasselhoffic :lol: style. I think it ruins it all and I even thinks its a little "false" sometimes (dont kill me for saying that;) ).

Its not only his voice, its also how he sings to the music, I think it looses all "dark" and beautiful feeling. I personally think that he is one of the reasons that they are not sooo big...Beacause of many I have talked to or heard Katatonia at my place thinks it gets pretty nasty when Jonas starts.

This is my opinion so dont get angry on me, and I dont write this to pist you all off. Its just my view...

Katatonia is for me ruined...