This is a bad Porcupine Tree copy?

Theads often go offtopic and since the original topic is fucking retarded I guess it does not matter.

i think its funny how mad people get when being forced to compare the two and its not to bad of a concept considering most katatonia fanbois are also PT fanbois (myself included)

I used to feel the same way. If you would have asked be two years ago I would pick Katatonia as my favourite band, now that slot is taken by Porcupine Tree and I think I would "rank" a few other bands over Katatonia aswell. I think it's because I've grown tierd of Katatonias "simple" song structures and short songs, not that a long song = good but I would like to hear something else than verse chourus songs from Katatonia and I hope that it will be the case with Night Is The New Day.

Sure, I can understand that! From the sound of Forsaker I think the song structures will likely be the same as the last album, but I am more concerned with the overall emotional feel of the album and hope there will be some really catchy choruses. In lieu of interesting song structures, I think on TGCD Katatonia did manage to have some very interesting riffs and fairly complex layering of the instruments at times (probably why some people call them 'progressive' now).

I dont understand... is this a "katatonia are trying to be porcupine tree?" thread or a "Porcupine tree is better than Katatonia" thread? both are false ( the second barely but true)

Well, it's a 'Katatonia are a bad copy of Porcupine Tree thread', I was just saying I like Katatonia better anyhow AND you are right, it's silly to say that Katatonia are trying to be PT. While there are some similarities, get real, Katatonia is a completely different band!

I think it's because I've grown tierd of Katatonias "simple" song structures and short songs, not that a long song = good but I would like to hear something else than verse chourus songs from Katatonia and I hope that it will be the case with Night Is The New Day.

Now this, I can somewhat agree with. One thing that irks me about music (and Katatonia is guilty of this) is when the lyrics in one verse are repeated in the next and this happened quite often in TGCD. I like each verse to be completely different lyrically, so I do hope that particular issue can be fixed on this next album. Although I don't know if there are a lot of Katatonia songs that are the standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus structure. I don't recall hearing many of those. They seem to be more like verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus.

However I also am someone who likes to hear a common sound to songs. The bridge of a song is where a band should be allowed to play around a bit. But with bands like Dream Theater, they seem to play a verse and chorus...and then it becomes an entirely different song from there which keeps displaying their technical talent, but completely destroys the overall flow and uniform sound of the song. I lose interest pretty quick when a song goes off on a wild journey and never returns back to the way it began. I don't mind long songs but I like them to build and then eventually return to a more powerful chorus that makes the song feel like it's returning to it's roots. Whereas with some progressive bands, I have to sit through 9 minutes of music I don't like just to get to the 1 minute of music that I do like (in the same song).
Jack

Porcupine Tree are talented, but I'm sorry, Katatonia simply owns them when it comes to the level of pure emotion in their music. Have not heard a single song by PT that reaches the level of melancholy, atmosphere, and beauty contained in Katatonia's best work. I'm sure someone will disagree w/ me, but the Kats destroy PT!

I guess you haven't listened to PT at all.FAIL:erk:

I guess you haven't listened to PT at all.FAIL:erk:

I have listened to PT a lot, the only albums I have though are Fear of A Blank Planet and In Absentia, which I think are good, but Katatonia are great!

Not sure why someone can't just accept that I like Katatonia better without assuming I have never listened to PT.

Just accept it! I have heard a significant amount of music from both bands and I like Kat better!

Epic FAIL on your part buy assuming I have never listened to PT!:heh:

I love it how numerous people on this forum, when you don't agree with them, read other people's minds and say "sounds like you've never heard this band". Guess what? Ten people can listen to the same album and each of them could have a completely different opinion about it> no need to insult people or assume they lie: they just don't agree with each other all the time, period.

Yea, that is very true. If Porcupine Tree really interested me, I would have bought more of their albums. I only like a few songs off each release though. People look at my tastes in music and assume I have horrible tastes since I like a lot of mainstream music as well. The ironic thing is that (apart from new Katatonia), I think the exact same thing about their tastes. I do not count "grunting/growling" as singing and I will never count it as singing. It's just as aweful as current rap is. I listen to bands to hear pleasing melodies and vocals that I enjoy. All the complexity and talent in the world cannot save a song or a band if the melodies or vocalists are not pleasing to my ears. And (for the most part), PT's vocalist is nowhere near as pleasing to my ears as newer Jonas is (even though he has a far wider range....I just find Jonas' solemn, subtle vocals far more enjoyable). Therefore, even though PT are undeniably more talented and better musicans, Katatonia still comes out on top since their sound is more appealing to me than PT's.
Jack

<3 salient
watercolor-series-93.jpg

in this picture, i see marriage of porcupine tree and katatonia as they go in deep forest untangled in deep love for ocean blue.

I see a hermaphrodite colorful pacman marrying a transparent tofu cheese while watching August Underground's Mordum with a pile o' dove babies on his hat.

In that pic.

About 50 people have already labelled this thread hilarious/awful, but I figured I'd weigh in anyway. I've listened to both bands since slightly before LFDGD and In Absentia came out, and have never once even thought of them as similar. I don't hear any PT in Katatonia and especially not vice-versa.

The only way I could see anyone making this comparison at all is if it's someone that's new to the "metal" subgenre. Typically the first bands someone is going to hear about when they make the move from Metallica or Tool or Dream Theater or whatever to slightly more "underground" stuff in the direction of Katatonia are going to include groups like Opeth, Porcupine Tree, In Flames, Katatonia and Meshuggah. And when your musical background consists of Metallica and those bands, you're obviously going to think Katatonia and Porcupine Tree sound somewhat similar, since they have some very loose similarities in their sound and are hard to compare to anything mainstream.

I know when I first started making steps away from Metallica, Dream Theater, and Megadeth back in about 1999 the bands I saw mentioned over and over were Amorphis, Anathema, The Gathering, and Opeth. Obviously at this point in time I don't see much similarity between most of those bands' sound, but at the time it all sounded like "that european metal" to me. Same thing prolly happened with this Navras guy and PT/Katatonia.

lolwut, I don't think they're similar I was just trying to bullshit something that tried to compare them how the OP was saying. The songs that are most similar between them are the ones with more electronic/ambient elements but that's my opinion I guess.

I like both bands for what it's worth, but I prefer the sound Katatonia has even if they're not as musically impressive...

also, the new album sounds more 'progressive' so far, and someone wrote a review a while ago that said it was more progressive. The whole progressive term is a load of bullshit anyway. Some people even said that tgcd was more 'progressive' than previous katatonia works. You can't tell me you've never heard someone label Kata as progressive outside of this thread. The point I was making was that someone could see the similarities there but that's pretty much where they end...

I don't think either band are "electronic", but I mentioned that because a lot of people seem to suggest that they are. Someone mentioned trip-hop before my post, which I really don't agree with being a bit of a fan of trip-hop myself, but I've also heard similar comments in professional reviews. Read some of the reviews that try to explain their sound and you will get just as much bullshit as my post, lol.

And I still think Katatonia do a better job at creating atmosphere than PT. I stand by my comment that PT sounds (lately) pretty much like hard rock but with interesting songs. They're a great band but I think people get a bit carried away when they talk about how godly they are.

it was posted by some troll to get everybody steamed, i dont think anyone would seriously compare the two. both legends

Fear of A Blank Planet is good and dark.
PT is pretty good.But they are not even playing the same genre.The same style and theme maybe (dark,depressed,sadness,....).
Both of them are talented in their owned way.Both are unique.

So any comparison is stupid.

Sorry for my bad English.