Why Katatonia isn't "more" popular, is truly beyond me...?

:wave: Dispossesion, and you are talking to who exactly? Just curious....

And no offence Omerta, but you did bring that subject up...just to say...about the Jonas/Mikael thing....

And, if anyone can tell me how Discouraged Ones sounds, it would be greatly appreciated. It's gotta be good, eh?

Alcapoth said:
And, if anyone can tell me how Discouraged Ones sounds, it would be greatly appreciated. It's gotta be good, eh?

Well, what can I say. It's a great album! I didn't have a chance to find it on cd yet though. It's hard to find. But my only advice for you is to download it and see what you think.

I don't think Katatonia should become what Linkin Park or POD or whoever is. It would really annoy me to meet so-called "mainstream" people claiming to really love katatonia.

Oh, I also recognize myself in the situation with going to the record store and having to emphasize it's Katatonia, not fucking Catatonia. Hell, I didn't even know a band called Catatonia existed, so when I told the clerk it was Katatonia with a K, she was like "Oh, you mean that hardcore band?"
Well gee, I sure hope I don't look like someone who would "dig" Catatonia. Anyway, I digress.
Katatonia are a great, great band.

Alcapoth said:
And no offence Omerta, but you did bring that subject up...just to say...about the Jonas/Mikael thing.... And, if anyone can tell me how Discouraged Ones sounds, it would be greatly appreciated. It's gotta be good, eh?
yak, that's pure essence, my friend...
it sounds depressive and melancholic. But you'll find that misery sweet ;)

EvilGenius said:
@Incendiare: whoa dude, did you just move to Alberta or something? Calgary? Edmonton? Either way, good stuff (except for the fucking snow in May).

Hehe, I've always lived in Alberta, in this small town near Edmonton. Just decided to add it onto my location status. Yeah, the snow is quite pathetic.

Yes, I see what some of you are saying...I'll be the first to admit that what's polluted these days in the "mainstream" music market nowadays is utter garbage. Save, for...well, there is some good stuff. Namely, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, some Tool & A Perfect Circle are decent, etc.

The thing that annoys me though, is those damn college students kinda wondering what I'm listening to...and when I tell them, "eh, you probably don't know them" they're like, "oh, they don't sell well, therefore, they suck." Damn, I just despise such ridiculous comments.....

What's worse, is seeing people embrace those damn guys at Staind (hate that band!) like they are something amazing! Just saw the unplugged concert on MTV2...man, is that place ever filled with garbage...

Now, in that case...it makes me look back and see how much better the underground community seems to be. It's like, they're more appreciative of good music. They're not fed music by the advertisement agencies or those BIG-name publishers/labels, etc. which is what it seems to me. This is just my opinion of the matter, and I strongly believe it.....

It's funny, I listen to Katatonia (same goes with fantastic bands such as Opeth and Anathema as well) and it amazes me just how much better these guys are at songwriting than say, hehe...junk (IMO) such as Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizket, Disturbed, Godsmack, and you name it! And, the fact these guys are the ones getting the fame and money just really pisses me off, because...they suck!

So, it kinda goes both ways....

Yeah, and I'm definitely picking up Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones. There's just so many albums for me to buy still....

Underground is the way to go. The band members are such normal guys. They're the kinda guys who you can have a drink with or a very good talk. While mainstream "musicians" are too uptight about money and fame, and don't give a shit about the fans. Like, I know someone who went to an Opeth gig, and before the concert Mike came out of the building just to talk with fans for awhile. My ass a mainstream musician would ever do such a thing.

Funny part is, every kind of music I like, people my age don't like. Whether it being Katatonia or Jethro Tull, I always seem to get this look from people like I'm insane.

Get Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones. They're great. I myself don't have an actual copy of DO since it's extremely difficult to find in stores, so you'd be better off ordering it online if you're into that method. Right into the Bliss (from Tonight's) is what really got me hooked. :)

Alcapoth said:
It's funny, I listen to Katatonia (same goes with fantastic bands such as Opeth and Anathema as well) and it amazes me just how much better these guys are at songwriting than say, hehe...junk (IMO) such as Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizket, Disturbed, Godsmack, and you name it! And, the fact these guys are the ones getting the fame and money just really pisses me off, because...they suck!

You've stated the same way I feel, but....I like Godsmack :loco: :D I actually think they are are a decent band in my humble opinion. Oh well, all to their own.

Actually I was meaning that Katatonia should get the success that bands like Opeth and In Flames are now flourishing in...

But then again, I could see Katatonia in a school alongside bands like Tool, A Perfect Circle, Deftones etc.

Bruni said:
Actually I was meaning that Katatonia should get the success that bands like Opeth and In Flames are now flourishing in...

But then again, I could see Katatonia in a school alongside bands like Tool, A Perfect Circle, Deftones etc.

yeah I can see your point.
It also surprises me that there're not many supporters in UK..
I heard that the gig at Manchester 2 weeks ago was only about 100+ people to join... it did surprise me a lot as I think Katatonia is quite famous over Europe.
But Opeth got much more supporters there.
(And I though people who like Opeth must addict to Katatonia too) :)

I think that Katatonia should stay at the level of fame they have now but unfortenetly I fear they are going to start to get recognition here in the states once that happens we are in trouble considering we have the highest number of posers.

OracleDeist said:
I think that Katatonia should stay at the level of fame they have now but unfortenetly I fear they are going to start to get recognition here in the states once that happens we are in trouble considering we have the highest number of posers.

True, but that's not the band's fault if other poser bands copy them. That's out of their hands. Katatonia has worked hard for about 10 years and they should get as much respect as they can in the U.S. or anywhere, and from I've read Katatonia are itching to come here :)

Why is everyone puting the name of Katatonia and other bans in the same sentence? Katatonia are in their own world ... don't get confuse.

About the favourite songs on LFDGD ... one should mention the cover "Oh how i enjoy the light" ...

Yv, I don't think that would be the case. Do the DVD's of, say, Cradle of filth get more expensive with every new release? Nah... There's sort of a fixed price for DVD's so I don't think that would be the case. And Katatonia aren't the kind of band to sell-out so I would think that only the quality of their overall output would improve. Look at the difference in sound between Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones, definitely a difference in budget there.
What do the rest of you guys think?