This is a bad Porcupine Tree copy?

I haven't heard the new cd, but I'm not quite sure why the comparison was made in the first place either. The rest of your post was about as off as it gets. I'm a huge Katatonia fan, but they're no where near the musical level of PT. Just how it is.

eh, I prefer the sound Katatonia has and I think they're more emotional and subtle. They both do what they set out to do, and do it well, but I don't really get drawn into PT's music as much. They have their really amazing moments but the hard rock thing they do lately doesn't really do it for me, sorry. I like how katatonia build atmosphere and work in some great, subtle elements, even if they aren't quite as musically impressive.

I think the thread comes from the new album being, seemingly, more 'progressive'. Still bullshit though. I think we're all being trolled.

The emotional thing is subjective, but as far as subtlety goes both bands have that down when the song calls for it. What drew me to both bands was the emotional impact of their songs. For Katatonia it was Sweet Nurse, Teargas, Dispossession etc etc. For PT it was A Smart Kid, Collapse the Light into Earth, and Trains etc. etc.

I think Katatonia reach a much higher level of emotion and atmosphere than Porcupine Tree do, and therefore rate higher in my mind. PT songs, to me, seem like they exist more as musical experimentation and something to rock out to, rather than something that's meant to have a narrative or emotional journey. The last 2 albums seem more focused on achieving that, but I still don't really feel anything in their music. I just enjoy their songs.
I guess you could say PT push a message along with their music, rather than try to recreate emotions within their music. Despite being pushed as a band that redefine music, they are very much a rock band.
I also think Katatonia do a better job at blending the elements together seamlessly. Probably because Katatonia are a lot more subtle than PT, and pay more attention to the fine details of how various parts of the song run into and/or support eachother.
That and Kata's sound just appeals to me more. Musical tastes is something we will never agree on. I know a lot of people that prefer PT and other music where the elements are much clearer and defined and, well, rock oriented.

There is so much bullshit it this that I dont even know what to say.

Musically I guess they're similar because they both have 'progressive' song structures and merge heavier, rock influenced parts with electronica. But Katatonia have more of a doom metal meets rock and electronic soundscapes thing happening, while PT are pretty much just hard rock and electronica mashed together in long songs with lots of twists and turns.

Katatonia does not have progressive song structures, not even near it. Most Katatonia songs are verse-chorus-verse-chorus-stick-chorus-end or something similar, it's nothing wrong with it but it's hardly progressive.

The similarities pretty much end at "progressive" and "heavy guitars". Porcupine Tree hardly pioneered either of those, and their influences and execution are so different that the comparison is pretty flimsy at best.

Yeah Porcupine Tree never pioneered progressive music... Almost every fucking progressive band these days draw inspiration from Porcupine Trees sound and they are one of the biggest progressive bands in the world.

I would not call Katatonia a progressive band, but I think Night Is A New Day will change that.

it's also worth noting that PT have been becoming gradually heavier and darker. If you really want to make the comparison, I think PT are trying to be more like Katatonia ;)

Heavier? Sure, darker? No. "The Sky Movies Sideways" is quite dark.

The comparision is shit. Both Katatonia and Porcupine Tree are influensed by Meshuggah and Tool when it comes to metal riffs and both are moving in that direction.

Porcupine Tree are talented, but I'm sorry, Katatonia simply owns them when it comes to the level of pure emotion in their music. Have not heard a single song by PT that reaches the level of melancholy, atmosphere, and beauty contained in Katatonia's best work. I'm sure someone will disagree w/ me, but the Kats destroy PT!

The only thing in common between Katatonia and Porcupine Tree are they both have talented vocalists with beautiful clean vocals. Other than that there apples and oranges.

If Night Is The New Day is Katatonia's Lateralus I will die of ecstatic happy sadness.

Chicken...

From the looks of things around here, you just put a giant bullseye right on your forehead with that statement, season1234.
Jack

That should tell you something when this ain't even PT's official forum. PT is king, remember that.

I'm done with this thread tis garbage.

I think Katatonia reach a much higher level of emotion and atmosphere than Porcupine Tree do, and therefore rate higher in my mind. PT songs, to me, seem like they exist more as musical experimentation and something to rock out to, rather than something that's meant to have a narrative or emotional journey. The last 2 albums seem more focused on achieving that, but I still don't really feel anything in their music. I just enjoy their songs.
I guess you could say PT push a message along with their music, rather than try to recreate emotions within their music. Despite being pushed as a band that redefine music, they are very much a rock band.
I also think Katatonia do a better job at blending the elements together seamlessly. Probably because Katatonia are a lot more subtle than PT, and pay more attention to the fine details of how various parts of the song run into and/or support eachother.
That and Kata's sound just appeals to me more. Musical tastes is something we will never agree on. I know a lot of people that prefer PT and other music where the elements are much clearer and defined and, well, rock oriented.

Musically I guess they're similar because they both have 'progressive' song structures and merge heavier, rock influenced parts with electronica. But Katatonia have more of a doom metal meets rock and electronic soundscapes thing happening, while PT are pretty much just hard rock and electronica mashed together in long songs with lots of twists and turns.

The similarities pretty much end at "progressive" and "heavy guitars". Porcupine Tree hardly pioneered either of those, and their influences and execution are so different that the comparison is pretty flimsy at best.

it's also worth noting that PT have been becoming gradually heavier and darker. If you really want to make the comparison, I think PT are trying to be more like Katatonia ;)

DUUUDE, REALLY? EPIC FAIL on so many levels :cry:

From the looks of things around here, you just put a giant bullseye right on your forehead with that statement, season1234.
Jack

People can flame me all they want! There is no right or wrong here, it's just my personal opinion. When I listen to Katatonia, the emotional impact far outweighs that experienced when I listen to PT (and I did admit that PT are talented, without question). Not sure why anyone would really care what I think anyway, one person's opinion should not have any impact on someone elses's. You like what you like and that's it! If some of you like PT more than Katatonia that's fine, but I completely disagree and really don't give a damn! :heh:

I dont understand... is this a "katatonia are trying to be porcupine tree?" thread or a "Porcupine tree is better than Katatonia" thread? both are false ( the second barely but true)

People can flame me all they want! There is no right or wrong here, it's just my personal opinion. When I listen to Katatonia, the emotional impact far outweighs that experienced when I listen to PT (and I did admit that PT are talented, without question). Not sure why anyone would really care what I think anyway, one person's opinion should not have any impact on someone elses's. You like what you like and that's it! If some of you like PT more than Katatonia that's fine, but I completely disagree and really don't give a damn! :heh:

I used to feel the same way. If you would have asked be two years ago I would pick Katatonia as my favourite band, now that slot is taken by Porcupine Tree and I think I would "rank" a few other bands over Katatonia aswell. I think it's because I've grown tierd of Katatonias "simple" song structures and short songs, not that a long song = good but I would like to hear something else than verse chourus songs from Katatonia and I hope that it will be the case with Night Is The New Day.

I dont understand... is this a "katatonia are trying to be porcupine tree?" thread or a "Porcupine tree is better than Katatonia" thread? both are false ( the second barely but true)

Theads often go offtopic and since the original topic is fucking retarded I guess it does not matter.