Katatonia: A Great Live Band!

MountainDweller

Under The Dark Moon
May 1, 2001
Back in the Hellhole called Texas.
Well, I finally bit the bullet and shelled out borrowed money (credit card) to buy "Brave Yester Days" and "Black Sessions". I got tired of waiting for a time of having money, which isn't going to happen any time soon. Anyway...

I watched the DVD and I must say that Katatonia are one of the best live acts I've "seen". I'd say they're right up there with Tool, but they do it without the theatrics, which says even more. Jonas is fuckin' spot on with the vocals and the music is great. It'll be great when I FINALLY get to see them live in person, especially considering I've been a fan for over 5 years now and still haven't been able to. :mad:

Heh, I've actually never seen them live. Not on DVD or live-live. But I will get the DVD tomorrow probably..

I've just heard several bootlegs from gigs and I must say they're good but not that great to be honest. But the bootleg-recordings were kinda old (93-01) so they might have improved over the last years.. But from what I heard live I wouldn't put them on my top 5 live band-list :)

MountainDweller said:
Well, I finally bit the bullet and shelled out borrowed money (credit card) to buy "Brave Yester Days" and "Black Sessions". I got tired of waiting for a time of having money, which isn't going to happen any time soon. Anyway...

I watched the DVD and I must say that Katatonia are one of the best live acts I've "seen". I'd say they're right up there with Tool, but they do it without the theatrics, which says even more. Jonas is fuckin' spot on with the vocals and the music is great. It'll be great when I FINALLY get to see them live in person, especially considering I've been a fan for over 5 years now and still haven't been able to. :mad:

Ok,but you can't judge a band by seeing a DvD, the live experience is something else! I adore Katatonia,I've seen them only once here in Italy but I really don't think that they are "a live band"...their music is perfect on cd,with headphones or in a small and intimistic room. I'll always go to see them if there will be other occasions,of course! , but the live dimension is very limited for Katatonia's music.That's my opinion

I think I enjoy live music more than recorded music....just because music is not like other forms of art such as literature, visual arts, architecture, etc., which are something that once done remains there "unchanged", music has a life of its own just in the moment it is "played"and every performance is different from the other.

I just love to hear and feel music in the moment it is created with all the range of emotions that come directly in that moment both from the performers and from the audience as well.
So the show after all is not only music, it's a lot of other fantastic sensations and yeah, Katatonia is great live, at least they can fill me with unique emotions and I saw them many times, but every time is different from the others and I can never have enough of them!
I guess that if I had the chance to follow all their tour, every gig would be a wonderful experience...but unfortunately I can't afford to do such a thing, at least in terms of money and time off work.....but ok I 've been trying to see as many gigs as I could and I wouldn't have seen so many gigs if they weren't a really good live band after all. Must admit however that they have improved with every concert, so what I can expect in the future is just an evolution in their live performances!

I really enjoy seeing them live, but I really think the drums let them down a bit. They speed up and slow down quite a bit. (check murder on dvd)
Also at times a bit too fast. Dont get me wrong, I think they are a great band live and would certainly go to every gig i could

ott0 said:
Heh, I've actually never seen them live. Not on DVD or live-live. But I will get the DVD tomorrow probably..

I've just heard several bootlegs from gigs and I must say they're good but not that great to be honest. But the bootleg-recordings were kinda old (93-01) so they might have improved over the last years.. But from what I heard live I wouldn't put them on my top 5 live band-list :)

I have seen probably 100 live bands....not just shit bands either....and when I saw Katatonia in Cleveland I thought that it was right up there with the best show I have seen...if not the best.....I also have that show on DVD(no you cant have a copy :) YET) so I have been able to watch it over and over.....it really doesnt do them justice(the DVD)....but they fukkin rokk live!!!!

That settles it.

you all have to pool funds together to send me to Anders' doorstep in order to beg him to tour America. [and also so I can meet my hero]

i hate the fact ive never seen them live

neither do i have dvds

one day i WILL see them live then i can comment properly in this thread :p

Haha, I must take back what I said above...
Got the DVD yesterday, and Katatonia were tighter live than I thought. Really surprising.

I've seen Katatonia live once, October 1st 2004, in Alphen a/d Rijn, The Netherlands.
It was an awesome experience - from the beginning to the end. During the soundcheck a guy wearing a white-logo Bloodbath T-Shirt tuned the sound of the guitars. After that Daniel came to warm his drumkit up... woo it was loud! But it made me feel so good, my most favorite band was there, just 2 meters in front of me :)
They played their music flawless, later I heard their bustrip from Germany to the Netherlands was awefull, but still the music was sooo good - I will never forget it! :headbang:

Never seen them live, but i downloaded "teargas" from Turku fest, can't say they're great on the scene. Anyway, when they finally will come to St.Petersburg at September, i'll be the first who'll buy fuckin ticket, shit, i'm completely happy!!!! AAAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHH! I'm just slightly shocked!

The Katatonia show in Cleveland was awesome. I wish I went to the show in Montreal becuase I hear that that show was more than incredible. I had to take my friend back to Philadelphia otherwise I would have went up there with some other dudes I know. That fucker.

Honestly I think Katatonia is not primarily a live band. Their music comes across better on CD. Also performance-wise they're not a great band, but then it fits the music, rather than jumping and moshing up and down like nu-metal freaks.

It also shows that Jonas doesn't really feel comfortable on stage, in the spotlight.

All this doesn't mean I don't enjoy Katatonia live by the way.

i think katatonia is a rather poor live band.
the sound/vocals are weak and i've been disappointed all the times i've seen them (3 or 4).
I still like the band very much and would go see them any time of course, but still they let me down live.
On record they're fantastic!

kim larsen said:
i think katatonia is a rather poor live band.
the sound/vocals are weak and i've been disappointed all the times i've seen them (3 or 4).
I still like the band very much and would go see them any time of course, but still they let me down live.
On record they're fantastic!

Well, you can't blame the band if the venue has a crap sound engineer.