• ...not really.

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
Well, this may have been mentioned here before, but I thought I'd bring this up.

I don't know about anyone else here, but Katatonia's music seriously does remind me of the dark, cold nature of the Silent Hill games on PlayStation/2 and the music of the series as well. Basically, the BRILLIANT soundscapes that Blakkheim creates with his guitar are similar to the sounds of Silent Hill.

I think this is fucking great, considering I'm such a HUGE fan of Silent Hill and the fact Katatonia is one of my favourite bands of all-time.

Haha, Katatonia's music should even be featured in the upcoming movie based on the film (which will probably be my favourite movie ever...I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SHIT!) as the music would be so fitting to the atmosphere i think.

Songs like Sweet Nurse, The Future of Speech (intro), Deliberation and Soil's Song just to name a few REALLY remind me of the game; screetchy guitar sounds and all, etc. - cool shit.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else here follows these games and is inclined to agree with me here.

Of course, Portishead reminds me of SH as well, but they've been brought up before and I feel Katatonia captures this empty, chaotic feeling as well. Mainly in the guitar parts.

God I love those games, but yeah, I guess Katatonia does remind me a little of them.

new katatonia reminds me a LOT of silent hill. I'm a silent hill fan, 1st and 3rd versions are the best ones in my opinion, silent hill 2 was great too but sh4 blows. The cover of last fair deal gone down is pure silent hill, with that old, abandoned, dirty bathroom picture. And what about sweet nurse? when i listen to that song, with its bizarre lyrics, i imagine that psycho nurses from the games, and most of katatonia songs like sleeper, ghost of the sun, stalemate, dispossession, don't tell a soul, criminals and sulfur have that creepy silent hill feeling.

^ Wow, Silent Hill 2 was by far and away my favourite one. In fact, not only that, but it happens to be one of my favourite games period. It affected me in such a way most games will never manage to do. Musically, story-wise and atmosphere-wise. SH4, however, is the only one in the franchise that really didn't do it for me that much.....

Glad to see others agree with me. Cool shit! And "I ain't play this", good call on the cover of LFDGD - my thoughts exactly!

What the hell is a Silent Hill? A game? With cards?

Computer games just aren't my type of thing. I couldn't vote either because there was no "what's Silent Hill' option.

requiem said:
What the hell is a Silent Hill? A game? With cards?

Computer games just aren't my type of thing. I couldn't vote either because there was no "what's Silent Hill' option.

It is a videogame, an amazing one by the way

Atmosphere on last album Katatonia not far away from creepy and sad town "Silent Hill".
Jonas and Anders, both of them, looks like madmans escaping from threatment of brookhavens doctors!:)

P.S Really not official information, but seems like truth:
In Silent Hill 5 we back in true "Silent Hill", creators talking about much more playing light and darkness, changing in real time. Game begin in asylum, and we will be play a psycho, who wasting time in this building, woman maybe men, i don't know. He/she abominations remembrance about silent hill, come back in hospital enigmatic town, when doctors interrogate him/she.:cool:

I also enjoy the Silent Hill games, but I tend to think of Diabolical Masquerade and not so much Katatonia. DM always had that old black and white movie vibe.

off-topic: Check "Call of Cthulhu" (XboX + PC)
This is horror as good as it gets IMO. Not that I have played much horrorgames, but this is deffinately the best one I have played.
It's story is based on the works of the writer H P Lovecraft.
The game uses a dynamic "freak-out" system, it's really cool.
anyways, check it out if you like.

On-topic: I haven't played the silent hill series... I only saw a game at a friend of mine. Hm, I think katatonia is too "metal" for it. I think more ambient music will fit better. But I'm not the correct person to judge

hm yeah i think ambient music would fit... a friend of mine creates such music in the vein of the fallout music :D maybe some of you know this awesome game. what he produces would also fit to silent hill. calm, strange sounds... only some katatonia songs remind me of silent hill. hm... but the melancholy, the apathy... ok it fits to the game ^^

Russell said:
Although I haven't played the games a great deal, I'm a great fan of the original soundtracks, some of the best music ever written for a computer game IMO. Example:

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=37DI88ZNLNY4R2FZ3MCX71R1ZY

I'm also looking forward to the movie, looks like it's gonna be good :)

Oh yeah, that's one of my TOP 10 fave SH tracks, easily. Yep, good stuff. Actually, this song has always kind of reminded me of Opeth, haha. My fave track is Love Psalm (also from SH2 - which is the best soundtrack for me.) But yeah, I agree, the SH games feature some of the best music you can hear in a video game.

Well, I've played MANY horror games, and I'll tell you...there's nothing out there quite like the Silent Hill series. It's psychological horror, a thinking man's game if you will. It can really mess with your mind it's just so bizarre at times, but the game's dark and freaky nature is precisely why this is one of my fave games and one of the only games series I still play.

An, yeah, NOT ALL Katatonia is totally SH-ish, but i'm definitely reminded of the games when CERTAIN guitar notes are played and some of the soundscapes they create in the songs.

For example, Saw you Drown has some creepy sounds going on in it, ambient stuff that could be fitting in a SH. The screetching guitars sometimes have this sense of melancholy and sudden "chaotic, depressing" vibe to it that i'm instantly reminded of SH's atmosphere.

In a way, i'm not too surprised. I'm not sure if it's Anders or not, but I think one of the band members actually likes the series. I know Mike from Opeth plays the game - :headbang: HELL YEAH!

Another band that reminds me of the game, haha, is ANTIMATTER. Songs such as Angelica or Flowers - wow, that could be straight from the game and I wouldn't even tell the difference.

On a final note; to anyone who DOES not know what SH is all about, I strongly recommend checking out the upcoming movie. The guys responsible for it apparently did everything in their power to stay true to the game, as they are HUGE SH-fanatics. SO basically, this film may be the one that FINALLY gets it right, in terms of delivering a GOOD game to movie adaptation.

It'll rock!

Alcapoth said:
Well, this may have been mentioned here before, but I thought I'd bring this up.

I don't know about anyone else here, but Katatonia's music seriously does remind me of the dark, cold nature of the Silent Hill games on PlayStation/2 and the music of the series as well. Basically, the BRILLIANT soundscapes that Blakkheim creates with his guitar are similar to the sounds of Silent Hill.
Man. It has been a long fucking time since I posted here. Anyways, that's wild man. I was thinking the same thing for sure on Tuesday when I bought the album but not because of the music. It was because of the image of that "creature" or whatever the fuck it is in the jewel case inlay. Anyone who has played Silent Hill 2 can certainly attest that the image resembles that game's end boss. Remember the creature attached to that rotating bed? Anyways, yeah, that's my contribution. I am a huge fan of the series(Silent Hill) obviously so that was pretty exciting for me to see. Maybe it was Ander's idea? I know he is an avid Silent Hill fan.

^^EXACTLY what i think, have you heard the castlevania symphony of the night soundtrack? the medieval-heroic keyboards and fast guitar riffing is very fucking similar to dm's nightwork, the distorded demon voice & phantom noises in the album, my god... what a fucking coincidence!!

Ahhh.. SILENT HILL!!!

Silent Hill 2 and The first one are my favorites. "Untrue" really reminds me of Silent Hill, and Discouraged Ones.

The scene where Angela climbs the stairs of fire is the most chilling scene ever. Awesome Game.