Katatonia - Brave Murder Day

M.Lehto

Jun 25, 2002
Fuck, this record is just amazing. I've had the original cd-version since ages, but lately I've been listening just other, more BM-oriented stuff and this week I got this in vinyl from Northern Silence Records and I must say that FUCk (pardon me), this is just one of the 10 perfect records ever made. Sounds just great from this purple vinyl. The whole packing in this gatefold with poster looks great, so use your last money (instead of food), to this vinyl release by Northern Silence and support them, since at least some people really makes something happen and we finally got this gem in vinyl.

Btw, they (NSR) also released the Nasheim-stuff, that I haven't heard as whole yet (coming soon I hope), but that release have been praised everywhere so far.

fotmbm said:
ONE OF THE BEST THREE ALBUMS EVER. I worship it. It just... I don't have words. But I do have beer.
I also have beer and soon I'll collect my earthly belongings and head to to the bar. Get drunk, get laid, get lost, is the praise one of my friend...I never get laid* but I'm always drunk and lost. :loco:

Btw, give Mike his version of Tuoni. I've always though hes more into metal and you're into more varied stuff, so I bet he's gonna be bored to death, heh...

*sometimes my woman give me some luuv... :p

The band's best performance coupled with Akerfeldt's best performance makes for a classic. I don't listen to it often enough.

Love the cover art too.

Yes, I'd agree. One my all time favorites as well. Definately top 10 material. I've also been meaning to order that from Northern Silence. I can't decide if I should get the Pic LP or the Purple vinyl though :( .

Great album, but it suffers from the first track being so god damn shit fucking amazing that the rest just doesn't quite live up to it.

One Inch Man said:
Great album, but it suffers from the first track being so god damn shit fucking amazing that the rest just doesn't quite live up to it.

Oh come on, Brave, Day and Endtime (I think, can't remember which other one I like) are fucking awesome!

It's one of those albums that works best as a whole, anyway.

Agreed, but Brave is just SO incredible that even the next 5 tracks of Ass Kicking Magnificence aren't quite as good. The margin is narrow, I just know when I put this album on I have a hard time not listening to Brave like 6 times in a row before I let the rest play. :Spin:

M.Lehto said:
I also have beer and soon I'll collect my earthly belongings and head to to the bar. Get drunk, get laid, get lost, is the praise one of my friend...I never get laid* but I'm always drunk and lost. :loco:

Btw, give Mike his version of Tuoni. I've always though hes more into metal and you're into more varied stuff, so I bet he's gonna be bored to death, heh...

*sometimes my woman give me some luuv... :p
I got it today, Erik's sitting ca 20cm away and bla bla bla. I think BMD is good but Day fucking sucks, I almost died when I firstheard it because it'äs so craooy. Havenät heard Tuoni yet.

I think I should pick up one of those vinyls before they sell out. BMD was in my CD player for like 3 months straight after I bought it. Impeccable album, and definetly Katatonia's finest. I dont think theres a bad song on the CD. Endtime is my personal favorite though.

Brave is easily the best song on the CD and probably Mikael's best vocal performance outside of Opeth (remove last three words if you dislike Opeth), but the rest of the CD doesn't stand in its shadow, every song makes its own impression and the album is indispensable.

I dunno man, I've heard each Opeth album hundreds of times. I think his performance on Brave Murder Day beats all the Opeth albums except maybe Orchid and maaaaaybe Still Life.

I never liked Akerfeldt's vocals until Still Life and later, but his work on BMD is pretty incredible.