Katatonia drop C?

myownsilence

The Influenced
Jan 10, 2007
www.myspace.com
Im learning to play some katatonia stuff using the videos as guidence, I know the newer stuff is drop C, but what version ie open C anyone know?

I've tried straight drop C but it definitly isn't that.

Anders any hints I know you like to keep your secrets but I love the variations you hit, and to me drop C doesn't feel natural when following your songs, some other variation must be there?

They tune two steps down on the latest two records, sometimes drop Bb which is just two steps down drop D

Depending on what song you're learning I may have tabbed it already so let me know :)

so there is no open tuning? I've been watching the DVD's more so the poland one as its a bit clearer but even in drop C it don't look right, they always seems to be hovering around the 5-7th frets never sounding quite right, there is definitly something they are not telling us you know! ( their guitars are from hell)

For example for my demons whats that played it, it sounds like drop C, but i recorn its open tuning

facts...

anything recorded earlier than the titles below is in E tuning.

Anders orgianlly stated on an old post:

'discouraged ones' is in D# tuning, but a few songs got the E string dropped to a C# tuning.

'tonight's decision' same as above.

'last fair deal gone down' is in D# tuning, but got many songs in C# that are tuned to a complete new open chord based on C#.

'viva emptiness' is in C tuning with alternate open chord tunings.

So I am sure you are right, any change though that they change this for live?

As far as live changes goes I wouldn't have a clue, I've only seen them twice and didn't pay much attention to their playing aside from a couple songs

If you need help figuring out the song, I'd be glad to help out, it's become a bit of a hobby to do Katatonia tabs :)

A lot of their stuff from the earlier albums (from my observations, and tabs I've learnt off) are tuned to D#, or Eb (They're the same thing; D#,G#,C#,F#,A#,D#) if you wish, which is half a step down from standard E. Brave Murder Day, Tonight's Decision and Discouraged ones are mainly tuned to this.
I'm not too sure what LFDGD is tuned to, but From Viva Emptiness they seem to have dropped the tuning more. Example, I have a tab for Ghost of the Sun which sounds pretty accurate, and it's tuned to C,F,A#,D#,G,C. And same with Burn The Remembrance. And My Twin and Deliberation from TGCD are also tuned to this.

Hope this helps.

They usually used Db on "Tonight's Decision" album except "For My Demons". The Great Cold Distance is usually C but "Follower", "Leaders" songs are B. And I thought same things with other friends, so their tunes changed from B to E until today :)

Its a real interesting mix...

To me katatonia, although accesable on many levels are very much a creative musicians band, and this is what really attracts me, despite the fact that they are also amazing songwriters.

I am usually pretty good at figuring out most stuff but when watching the live DVD I just cannot work out if the tunings are even straight drop tunings, I stull feel that some of it is open tunings.

Katatonia live tunings:

C F A# D# G C

A# F A# D# G C

D# G# C# F# A# D#

C G C F G C

Oooops!!:OMG:
So on stage they have 4 different guitars each?! Would have guessed it was about 3, but maths has never been my fave subject. :Smug: Need to headbang less and watch/ listen better... or actually, I don't really care, it's the SONGS that matter to me, not the instruments/ tunings.... They could play Consternation and Without God on horribly un- tuned flutes and saxophones and I'd probably still love it:yow:

Oooops!!:OMG:
So on stage they have 4 different guitars each?! Would have guessed it was about 3, but maths has never been my fave subject. :Smug: Need to headbang less and watch/ listen better... or actually, I don't really care, it's the SONGS that matter to me, not the instruments/ tunings.... They could play Consternation and Without God on horribly un- tuned flutes and saxophones and I'd probably still love it:yow:

The first tunings are almost the same except for the lowest string. So three guitars would be enough.

So the final tuning open C is the newest? A lot of tab does not suggest open C but the live DVDs don't suggest the tab either

So whats my twin then?