Katatonia NYC 10/22

moonspell should play songs from sin/pecado and the butterfly effect. some of their best songs are on those albums, especially sin/pecado - like magdalene, abysmo, let the children cum to me, handmadegod etc. the last album is good but it doesnt compare to sin/pecado, i think. unfortunately, that seems to be the minority opinion.

derbeder said:
moonspell should play songs from sin/pecado and the butterfly effect. some of their best songs are on those albums, especially sin/pecado - like magdalene, abysmo, let the children cum to me, handmadegod etc. the last album is good but it doesnt compare to sin/pecado, i think. unfortunately, that seems to be the minority opinion.

I talked to Fernando about this album too. I won't go into his whole explanation, but basically he said that album had a lot of great ideas that didn't come out so well. He also said they sometimes do one or two off of it, but not too much. I'll be sure to post up a link to it here when I get it online since a bunch of you guys seem to be interested in Moonspell.

Novembers Paul said:
If the promoters see shit loads of people walking out the door before the shows over, they'll think twice about paying the guarantee next time a tour like this comes through town.

Keep it in mind. Stick around, have a few drinks, hang out, and have fun at the show. Support metal, not just one band.

Paul Kuhr is a wise man.

shaq said:
I talked to Fernando about this album too. I won't go into his whole explanation, but basically he said that album had a lot of great ideas that didn't come out so well. He also said they sometimes do one or two off of it, but not too much. I'll be sure to post up a link to it here when I get it online since a bunch of you guys seem to be interested in Moonspell.
it would definetely be cool if you posted a link to this.

Novembers Paul said:
From what I understand, because we negoatiated to be a part of this package, this tour was originally Amorphis, Katatonia and Daylight Dies. Moonspell was asked to headline after Amorphis backed out.
So it was going to be Novembers Doom, Daylight Dies, Katatonia and Amorphis? Damn, that's a kick ass line up :headbang:

BTW, Paul, I just got and listened for the first time Subterranean Masquerades Suspended Animation Dreams and I'm loving it, great work

I agree with the general consensus here; the only excuse not to stick around for Moonspell would be morning work/school obligations and whatnot. I honestly don't have much personal interest in their music, but they are damn good. "Opium" is a great song. Normally I would follow the whole "getting my money's worth" argument, but I lucked out by getting my band Vex to open the San Antonio show without having to buy any tickets, so I'm mainly staying because they are a good band and I make it to point to try to watch every band I play with. Cheers...

Androz said:
So it was going to be Novembers Doom, Daylight Dies, Katatonia and Amorphis? Damn, that's a kick ass line up :headbang:

BTW, Paul, I just got and listened for the first time Subterranean Masquerades Suspended Animation Dreams and I'm loving it, great work

We never got past negotiating, so to say we were going to be part of this tour would be false. I know, when we had first heard of the tour from a booking agent, it was Amorphis and Katatonia. Shortly after, we were told Amorphis backed out, Moonspell was asked to headline, and Daylight Dies was added. At this point, it was hard to work a 4th band into the package.

Daylight Dies, Katatonia and Moonspell is an awesome package. I'm just happy to be seeing this tour this weekend, and seeing old friends. If we were added to the bill, the other bands would have had shorter set times, so think of it like this... We gave the fans a couple more songs from the other bands. haha!

It worked out for the best for us, it kept us free to tour Europe with Agalloch in 3 weeks.

Thanks, glad you enjoy Sub Masq!

I was at that NYC show. Truth be told Moonspell OWNED that crowd. Before even stepping on to the stage, the crowd was chanting, MOON-SPELL, MOON-SPELL....That never happened once for Katatonia. The crowd didn't go crazy for Katatonia either. Sure some people were singing along and such. Like maybe 12-17% of the house. Lots of blank faces. For Moonspell the place went ape-sh*t. Between songs the place was so loud that one couldn't try to speak to the person next to them. For 90mins, horns were up and heads were banging non-stopped. When Moonspell's set was done the crowd started to chant MOON-SPELL again. And we did it three different times and got our encore. And the club was STILL packed. There is a reason why Moonspell are the headliners and that show was the proof.

uhm... i get what you're trying to do Devilskin and i'm glad you're sticking up for Moonspell but uh... it sounds like you might be exaggerating a bit.
Of course people are going to be headbanging non-stop to Moonspell, they rock! but it's not like katatonia plays anything as fast as Moonspell these days. And if there were blank faces in the crowd during Katatonia's performance it's because they were probably enjoying their performance. (again, what do you expect? people moshing to katatonia?) I of course will be one of those fans singing @ the top my lungs to their songs [all 3 bands! :)]

MadTinus said:
But you said you had never heard of them, which means you were unaware of the band's very existence, not only hadn't heard their music.

I find it hard to fathom that someone interested in a band like Katatonia has never even heard of the band Moonspell, they've been a very well-known band for some 10 years now.

well, that's what happened. i guess i have an insular existence.

Moonspell were excellent and on fire, and really deserved their headlining slot, which is not meant in any way as a slight towards Katatonia. I'm not going to be surprised in the least if the next time Katatonia tours here, they'll be headlining for sure. Seeing as how they've had these problems with too many local openers on the bill and the show running so late, Katatonia are probably really lucky that they're not in the "headlining" slot.

As much as it would've been cool to even play on just a date or two of this tour, I was quite happy to just go and enjoy it as a fan and get to see our friends in the bands. We'll get to play with them someday, somewhere, I'm fairly certain of it.

p.s. Daylight Dies fucking ruled too. I hope this band manages to get the acclaim they deserve.