Katatonia = ToT

Sengir*Buendia

Baron of Macondo
OK. Guess how I got to give Katatonia a try? Obviously. Opeth. Guess what was my first Kata album? Easy. BMD. Divine in its own merit (though we're not talking about music complexity).

I also already knew the latest albums were a bit "different" from BMD, but as I'm not a purist my next song was Teargas. Reminded me of the only Tool song I ever heard: Stinkfist. I also noticed some posters here seem to like Tool, though this band is a big aenigma to me... They're MTV sweeties but still adored in the "open-minded-metal-fanbase"... Weird. Probably because I haven't listened much....

Whatever. Why do people grind ToT for their change of style, but Tiamat, Samael and KATATONIA are still metal, whatever that means? However I'm about to try LFDGD better before judging anyone... BTW, are BMD fans also LFDGD fans?

\m/ \m/ !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am.
To me all the same, whether if Jonas fart in a microphone or sings with clean vocal, that he does talently. Joke offcourse, but true is pretty close. I really don't care about "purity" of music style, I care about music as well. About melody, about emotions, about blah blah blah...
Yes, Im very old for "true" shit...

Why do people grind ToT for their change of style, but Tiamat, Samael and KATATONIA are still metal, whatever that means?

Because the latter bands are still good at what they're doing, although I'm not quite sure about the 'metal' thing.

However I'm about to try LFDGD better before judging anyone...

Yep, and the same goes for Tool.

BTW, are BMD fans also LFDGD fans?

I think both LFDGD and BMD are brilliant, but others may prefer the older stuff (only).

Originally posted by Sengir*Buendia

Whatever. Why do people grind ToT for their change of style, but Tiamat, Samael and KATATONIA are still metal, whatever that means?

Because ToT left metal entirely pretty much. And the new direction blows, just like Paradise Lost new direction after Draconian Times. I still don't see what these bands see in going synth-pop. It can't be dollar signs, because they sell less with the new direction.

Tiamat blows nowadays. IMO, Wildhoney is the only essential Tiamat release.

I never really got into Samael, although Ceremony of Opposites was good.

I don't like Katatonia after Discouraged Ones.

BTW, are BMD fans also LFDGD fans?

NO!

BMD is Katatonia at their zenith. It combines brutal vocals (provided by Mikeal Akerfeldt), clean vocals courtesy of Jonas. The speed varies between plodding doom and mid paced doom, but nothing hyper speed. BMD is only six songs, but all are fairly long (5-13 minute range). To me, it is more atmospheric than the recent Katatonia.

Tool are far from "MTV Sweeties" but I'm not going to argue about that here.

Anyway, I DON'T call Katatonia's newer stuff metal. I call it hard rock. Seems approproate to me. Either way, I love it.

Nice avatar by the way, Sengir. ;)