Katatonia Twins...

VampiricYouth

Jul 15, 2005
This might seem like a weird observation, but have any of you noticed what I call Katatonia Twin Songs? You just get two songs that have the same sound and feeling that they could be sequels... If that makes sense... :p

For instance:

Clean Today and Stalemate

Deadhouse and I Break

Murder and Relention

etc etc, listen to those and you can't not notice the similarities...

Hmm, not sure what you mean really haha.. But I think I understand.. a bit. Anyway, I can agree with the Deadhouse/I break-similarity. They somehow sound like the same song in some weird fucking way.

Also, I tend to mix up Strained and March 4... have no idea why though. Weird topic :]

Like what Otto said about the music of Deadhouse and I Break sounding like the same song, that same theory can be applied to the music (paticularly the intros) of Relention and Murder, Clean Today and Stalemate and some others...

Daniel L. said:
hell yeah!! did you really think we would let the farts Nickelback be the only ones who did this??

lolz....fukk that....I think this is kind of a stupid thread.....of course a few of Katatonias songs are going to sound similar.........it just seems retarded to think that every Katatonia song is going to be super different from each other........hmmm....I figure that Jonas or Anders may have been in the same mood a few times when they wrote songs for Katatonia.....and for me mood determines the chords I use etc.......so it is my opinion that a few Katatonia songs are for sure similar.....but to call them "twin" is way off base....

Oh no, don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that they lack originality or they're just lazy at making a totally different song, I'm just saying that there are definite similarities betwteen 2 songs and I was wondering if it was deliberate. Lyrics and music wise, I think I Break and Deadhouse could be seen as one song in two parts...A sequel if you will.

Nah, wouldn't say those two...The tone is all wrong and vibe is all wrong... However Last Resort and Saw You Drown could be a good match.

VampiricYouth said:
Oh no, don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that they lack originality or they're just lazy at making a totally different song, I'm just saying that there are definite similarities betwteen 2 songs and I was wondering if it was deliberate. Lyrics and music wise, I think I Break and Deadhouse could be seen as one song in two parts...A sequel if you will.

I agree with you that they are similar....I dont think that it was intentional though.....they may have wrote them at a time when they had strong feelings about certain things going on in their lives and being that I Break and Deadhouse were on the same alblum my guess is that they hadnt had a ton of experience with the whole New Katatonia sound so I think the music may have seemed so similar because they were writing those songs from a much more limited (musically) standpoint......but thats one of the things I truly love about Katatonia....they evolve so much between alblums.....

Peace :wave:

Yep, that's what makes them so much better than other bands. They evolve, their sound changes, but they don't ever lose their identity.

I also thought Saw You Drown and Deadhouse were somewhat similar. They both have a similar soft instrumental part (Deadhouse with whale sounds, Saw You Drown with synth or something). I guess I Break has one too, but it's not as long and harder to notice.