Katatonia's Top 5 Worst Songs...By Anders

I would take both of these songs over over The Promise Of Deceit or Right Into The Bliss anyday.

Nah, I can't agree here. 'The Promise Of Deceit' is one of my top favorites they have ever done. The utterly seething bitterness and jealousy in that song gives me chills. Jonas sounds as if he is forcing himself to be restrained through the song, but just teetering on the edge of sanity and not being able to hold it in much longer, and at the chorus when that guitar chord comes in (after he sings "So when did you come to think...*guitar*") is when that self-restraint begins to crack and release so it's a very powerful point in the song for me.

'Relention' is the only song that Anders listed that I am really surprised by, as that is one of my favorites from DISCOURAGED ONES. The others, I won't argue with. If I had to list my top five least favorite Katatonia songs (only counting their clean vocals era as I don't like any of the growled songs more than even these bottom five), my bottom five Katatonia songs are:

1. 'We Must Bury You'
2. 'Fractured'
3. 'One Year From Now'
4. 'Help Me Disappear'
5. 'In Death, A Song' (Would have been 'Nightmares By The Sea' if it were their own).

this list doesn't have We must bury you?the list is not valid :troll:

honestly I love Relention and Untrue very much.

but then Dance December and Epistel , I kinda agreed with Anders. I mean, they are not the worst but kinda a weaker songs

my personal top 5 worst songs from katatonia
1. We Must Bury You
2. Sleeper
3. Day (I know most of you gonna hate me)
4. Will I arrive
5. can't think of any.

Nah, I can't agree here. 'The Promise Of Deceit' is one of my top favorites they have ever done. The utterly seething bitterness and jealousy in that song gives me chills. Jonas sounds as if he is forcing himself to be restrained through the song, but just teetering on the edge of sanity and not being able to hold it in much longer, and at the chorus when that guitar chord comes in (after he sings "So when did you come to think...*guitar*") is when that self-restraint begins to crack and release so it's a very powerful point in the song for me.

'Relention' is the only song that Anders listed that I am really surprised by, as that is one of my favorites from DISCOURAGED ONES. The others, I won't argue with. If I had to list my top five least favorite Katatonia songs (only counting their clean vocals era as I don't like any of the growled songs more than even these bottom five), my bottom five Katatonia songs are:

1. 'We Must Bury You'
2. 'Fractured'
3. 'One Year From Now'
4. 'Help Me Disappear'
5. 'In Death, A Song' (Would have been 'Nightmares By The Sea' if it were their own).

We will never agree on this for sure, although we do agree about Fracture and One Year From Now. I don't even have the words to state how much better I think Help Me Disappear, and particularly In Death, A Song are compared to the Promise Of Deceit. How In Death, A Song makes your top 5 worst is beyond my comprehension! I think that song contains absolutely classic mid-era Katatonia: Soaring guitar melodies (just PERFECT leads from Anders), a good up tempo beat, memorable vocal lines, and heavy ass guitars.

But: to each their own :). How boring would the world be if we all agreed about everything!?!?

My list (which is a tribute to Katatonia that it took me so long to think of 5 songs I really don't like out of all the tunes I have heard from them over the last 18 years):

1. One Year From Now
2. Fractured
3. The Promise Of Deceit
4. Right Into The Bliss
5. I Transpire

How In Death, A Song makes your top 5 worst is beyond my comprehension! I think that song contains absolutely classic mid-era Katatonia: Soaring guitar melodies (just PERFECT leads from Anders), a good up tempo beat, memorable vocal lines, and heavy ass guitars.

Agree here! In Death, A Song sometimes sound unfinished... but it gives food to imagination, how could it be with other sound, other arrangement etc))

One Year From Now is a song I used to skip. But it fits atmosphere of criminal(Max Payne!!!) on the VE album. It is noir itself...

How In Death, A Song makes your top 5 worst is beyond my comprehension! I think that song contains absolutely classic mid-era Katatonia: Soaring guitar melodies (just PERFECT leads from Anders), a good up tempo beat, memorable vocal lines, and heavy ass guitars.

It's not really a bad song....trust me I was struggling to come up with any songs I consider to be "weak" from Katatonia (post BRAVE MURDER DAY anyways). However, my issue with 'In Death, A Song' is that it goes on for too long. The chorus hook is done too many times in the song with not enough payoff/variation throughout the rest of the song. It has a good upbeat sound as you stated, but after about 3 minutes of the same chorus hook and fairly uninteresting verses, I start to get bored with it (I do like the bridge just because it changes things up a tad). The vocals aren't quite up to par either. 'This Punishment' is another contender I could have named, although I love the guitar after the 1:34 mark. 'Gone' was also a possible choice (and 'Scarlet Heavens' definitely would have been a pick if it would have been an official DISCOURAGED ONES track since I was only counting clean vocal songs).

It's not really a bad song....trust me I was struggling to come up with any songs I consider to be "weak" from Katatonia (post BRAVE MURDER DAY anyways). However, my issue with 'In Death, A Song' is that it goes on for too long. The chorus hook is done too many times in the song with not enough payoff/variation throughout the rest of the song. It has a good upbeat sound as you stated, but after about 3 minutes of the same chorus hook and fairly uninteresting verses, I start to get bored with it (I do like the bridge just because it changes things up a tad). The vocals aren't quite up to par either. 'This Punishment' is another contender I could have named, although I love the guitar after the 1:34 mark. 'Gone' was also a possible choice (and 'Scarlet Heavens' definitely would have been a pick if it would have been an official DISCOURAGED ONES track since I was only counting clean vocal songs).

I agree about "In Death, A Song", but "This Punishment"? :guh: so emotional, so powah!

Yeah, the chorus from In Death A Song goes on for quite a bit, but I guess I don't mind when it's that good :). I could listen to that guitar melody for 10 straight minutes and be good.

I am with you on Scarlet Heavens, not a favorite but still kinda cool and different for Katatonia.

This Punishment and Gone..no way!!! Both songs are completely haunting and beautiful. I find that they pack a tremendous emotional punch, and a the cure meets doom meets rock type of atmosphere. I absolutley love the vocal melodies in each track, and Gone features one of my favorite guitar melodies of all time at the end of the track.

Like you said, it is a tribute to Katatonia that it took both of us so long to try and pick 5 'bad' songs.