Kemper on the new Trivium?

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Does anyone know if a Kemper was used on the new Trivium album? I'm listening on my laptop speakers (which tend to accentuate certain mind frequencies) and the guitar tone REALLY sounds like what I hear from a Kemper and what it imparts on the tone.
Would anyone know about it at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt admitted the last time they were on the Mayhem Festival in an interviewer that the whole album was the Kemper with a 5150 profile. A dude some time back on the forum has gotten access to those profiles and posted some clips and an engineer of Colin Richardson came here and asked him how the hell he got them because they were under lock and key. From what was gathered it was a profile of a TS-808, 5150, Mesa Cab, 57 and D112 Blend.

EDIT: After Jeff's post there was rumors that is was two 5150 left and right with a 57 and a third 5150 in the center with a 57 and a D112. If that helps anything.

Ok! In that case... 1. I love the tone, I think it's great... 2. Having said that, and im not here to start another Kemper debate... But there definitely IS something in the Kemper tones that stands out as a Kemper. I know Andy says he can't tell the difference etc, but I don't buy that at all! I wasn't trying to hear a Kemper, but then that mid sort of honk/ stuffiness was really pronounced on my speakers and that made me think it was. So is it just me or what :/

It pushes the mids forward a bit and makes the pick attack more immediate. I don't hear it as a mid honk or stuffiness so I wouldn't blame the KPA for that as much as I would the profiles.

I think it was something about Colin profiling one of Andy's 5150s, not sure about the mics and cab. those ended up left and right.
And I think then theres a profile of a 5153 in the middle that colin made himself, with a D6 blended in or so (krank cab or so maybe?)
Some of the parts seem quad tracked too on that clip. Not sure if it's the whole album through.

The guitartone is pretty sweet, but I think I dig the bass even more haha

Chris out of interest:
dunno if you've seen this and already know where the changes are (it's easier to hear after you know it) but try this one:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say that having listened to the Trivium clip posted on my monitors, it strikes me as more obviously a boosted and EMG 81 sounding tone than a Kemper sounding tone. Those two will do that honky midrange thing pretty damn easily.

IIRC it was two tracks (one left, one right) of a 5153 and then another one right up the middle of a Diezel?

So, there's one in the middle all the way or just at the beginning of this riff?

Hate to break it to you guys but Matt is the only one that does the rhythm guitars in the studio and he is strictly 81/85. He has mentioned before in interviews that he doesn't care for "other" active pickups and can't live without EMGs and some sort of OD 808/TS-9 style OD.

So, there's one in the middle all the way or just at the beginning of this riff?

Whole album. They did the whole Metallica Tric-Tracking method. I believe that the center track is the only one that has the D112 on it.

Hate to break it to you guys but Matt is the only one that does the rhythm guitars in the studio and he is strictly 81/85. He has mentioned before in interviews that he doesn't care for "other" active pickups and can't live without EMGs and some sort of OD 808/TS-9 style OD.

Whole album. They did the whole Metallica Tric-Tracking method. I believe that the center track is the only one that has the D112 on it.

Was about to say this! He's mentioned it in heaps of interviews (which I just searched) that this album was again his les Paul -> EMG's -> Kemper with the Sneap profile :)

fwiw i read somewhere that the carcass album was kemper as well... i think the majority of Andy's and Colin's mixes these days are probably kemper

Heafy has a thing for lying about album production. "Shogun had all natural drums, no samples". "In Waves was 6505, or 5150ii, or 5150, or something". "no pitch correction on The Crusade".

Though this time round I've heard him mention the Kemper a few times now. Though once it was the TS808 original 5150 into OS Mesa, or now its 5153 into OS Mesa". Which is it, Matt?

I don't think Matt's trying to maliciously lie about what happened in the record or whatever. Truth be told, I don't expect artist to know what happened on the other side of the curtain.

I've heard Paolo say that they send the DIs after tracking with Draiman and then figured out they were using a kemper so if that's the case (and it doesn't have to) then they weren't even in the room when they were profiling. When Matt talks about the rig he's provably talking about what Collin profiled.

The things is that you can only take word of mouth for what it's worth