Help solve my bullshit Kemper problems(samples inside)

brianhood

No Care Ever
Simply put, I've spent hours on a single Kemper tone, and I feel like I get nowhere close to anyone else's tone matching ability. My Kemper tones sound nothing like my real amp.

Listen to these samples, and you'll probably hear what I'm talking about.

real amp full mix

Kemper full mix

amp only

Kemper Only

No low end, the hi end is not quite the same. Please share what your tone capturing methods are so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. From what I've heard from other people, they are getting so close that I can't even tell a difference.

I have done only a couple of profiles so far and they were spot on, no problems. I assume you refine the profile in the process? The low end issue reminds me of this thread and this post in particular: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/832189-kemper-profiling-amp-40.html#post10662513

There is also this one: http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=10062

So after a ton of reading, I've seen that people basically just say to add an EQ.

I'm just wondering how some of the Kemper samples I've heard from people have been so spot on to their reference amp. Some claim to have no post EQ.

Fuck, it's nothing like the real deal.

Are you sure you are refining enough and playing random notes/chords instead of chugging? It sounds like the kemper is overcompensating them. Maybe refine using combination of soft plucks and dissonant chords? I've read somewhere that it helps (and I don't even have a Kemper, lol)

What i did for the refining process on this particular tone was play through this band's entire album on one of the guitar DIs. I'll have to try the dissonant chords though.

what is the noise gate (on the front) set to?
exremely high values can kinda mess with the sound.

also, try playing instead of using a DI track for the refining process.
The refining sound is constantly adapting, so you'll know when you are 'there'.
also you can refine a couple of times - it all adds up IIRC.

Yup, the refining process is off. You want to tailor your playing to the refining; aka if you're hearing the low end different in the profile than the real amp, focus on some really heavy chugging for a bit. High end off? Dissonant chords/octave work.

What I usually do is chug around palm muted for 3-4 seconds, play some octave stuff, some lead stuff, some arpeggiated complex chords, and finish with a chug or two. Tends to be dead-on.

if you're hearing the low end different in the profile than the real amp, focus on some really heavy chugging for a bit. High end off? Dissonant chords/octave work.

Thats it. My profiles get 99% accurate AFTER doing this.
Just pay attention for whats lacking. Then refine it again.

Im listening to the samples on crappy (cant stress crappy enough) headphones. But wow nice tone dude! (btw is there a mistake on the left side at 0:19? -> yes i know thats totally the point of this thread :p). Anyways yea i dont like the profile here and wouldve said that some amps seem to profile better than others but this sounds like a 5150? In which case its not normal as theyre usually easy to profile. Even before refining it should be a bit closer shouldnt it? Did u have anything else in the signal chain a preamp mixer or som? Or was it mic straight into kpa? Did u try experimenting with different return levels?
Ill give this a better listen when im home
Again great tone tho if it sounds like this on these headphones kudos to u buddy