Kerrang! Bloodstock review (read it here)

Black Lagoon

Apr 24, 2001
Cornwall, England
Visit site
Yep I still buy at as like all sorts of rock, punk, metal etc and this is what they said.

Bloody Great!

Old school glory at intimate festival

Ever wonder what happened to the real Donington? Then look no further than Bloodstock. Derby’s annual metal shindig is a refuge for those turned off by all things ‘nu’, serving up two days of gloriously old-fashioned headbanging fun.
Its no secret that a lot of people though Blaze Bayley (KKKK) was more than a tad shit at the helm of Iron Maiden, but theres no denying that on his own the man is an absolute star on the Friday night. Playing a selection of Maiden and Wolfsbane cuts alongside his own wares, it’s a welcome surprise that serves as the perfect warm up for Sheffield metal warriors Saxon (KKKK) and there massive eagle stage prop. Younger readers may best know them for ‘Wheels of Steel’ and ‘Denim and Leather’, but these are mere dots in a two-hour set chock full of metal stompers of equal worth.

Saturdays festivities are kicked off by the disgustingly monickered sludgemeisters Bumsnogger (KKKK), before Dragonforce (KKKK) get heads banging with a set of blistering power metal. Boasting some of the fastest guitar solos of the weekend (and there was some stiff competition), we’re treated to a set culled from their ‘Valley of the Damned’ album as several hundred mad for it punters ‘bang there way to wiplash.
Late in the afternoon Masterplan (KKKK) and Edguy (KKKKK) (filling in for the absent Hammerfall), provide the ultimate soundtrack to your next run in with those pesky Vikings, before Paradise Lost (KKKKK) come onstage to prove that they are not such a spent force as had been recently reported. Tearing through the likes of ‘Hallowed Land’ from there classic ‘Draconian Times’ album, it’s a welcome return to form for one of the UK’s most underatted bands.
It’s taken six years and four albums for them to make it over to UK soil, but Nightwish (KKKKK) have been well worth the wait. While absolutly ginormous in there native Finland, there operatic ‘Lloyd-Webbercore’ has remained something of a cult over here, which is a f**king shame, because tonight they’re absolutly flawless in there art. Somehow managing to make the stage seem 10 times as large, they honestly can do no wrong. ‘Bless the Child’ and ‘Wishmaster’ are more like film scores than mere songs, while there cover of ‘Walking through the Air’ (yes, the song off children’s animation ‘The Snowman’) is a work of metal genius. Finishing with a mass singalong of ‘Over the hills and far Away’, Nightwish leave Derby reeling from a set that was easily one of the bestgigs of the year. Lets just pray they don’t take so long to come back.
Nick Ruskell

well I am very pleasently surprised by their review. I expected them to criticise everyone but not at all, maybe some people at Kerrang still Know what real Heavy Metal is.

i have such mixed felings about this... i want the music to be recognised but i cant stand the fact thought that, as predjudiced as it is, the festival will be overun by little kids in massive trousers and evanescence t-shirts next year... oh yeah, also why is it that kerrang always have to categorise bands into new categories, first noghtwish were 'nu-goth'-what the hell, now theyre loydwebbercore... what the hell?

how many of you when you were younger treated kerrang as gospel. wore the clothes that the stars in there wore etc etc

the kids of today are doing what we did years ago. although the popular stuff of today is shite compared to my era

we are turning into our parents. it's our right to slag off kerrang kiddies who like evanesense and wear tents for jeans

Im amazed at what has been said in the review and maybe some humble-pie should be consumed but I too am worried about who will turn up next year . It has nothing to do with age as there were plenty of young `uns there this year. It has more to do with Kerrang Kiddies being misled and turning up because it is "cool" to and not because of the music. If you are reading this then please remember Bloodstock is very "uncool" and is full of lots of Real Metal fans so please stay away if offended by Heavy Metal played the way it was meant to be ! . Does a Festival with 2000 tickets on sale need backing by the likes of Kerrang ? or could this see an explosion in size of the only True Metal fest in the UK ? who knows ?

Well, if a load of kids come next year, we may help enlighten some of them! What could be more satisfying than having a bunch of losers walking in wearing Linkin Park hoodies and walking out wearing Gamma Ray T shirts and a handful of signed heavy metal CDs? Sure some might dump it when they realise that Gamma Ray aren't considered "cool" or "hardcore" or whatever words nu-metal fans use these days, but not all kids are stupid; if enough come to Bloodstock then we're guaranteed to create some new metalheads. Surely a bit of young blood is a good thing! I mean the bands we had this year were CERTAINLY good enough to convert at least a fair proportion of nu-metal listeners. :D

Eagle On Kerrang:

Kerrang Give An Excellent Bloodstock Review
Eagle thinks 'Kerrang are a bunch of wankers'

Kerrang Gives A Good Bloodstock Review

Kerrang Gives An Average Bloodstock Review

Kerrang Gives A Shite Bloodstock Review

Kerrang Doesn't Give Bloodstock A Review

Kerrang goes Bankrupt and ceases to exist
Eagle thought 'Kerrang were a bunch of wankers'

I hate Kerrang.

Japanese metal magazine BURRN! is THE best metal mag ever. Really thick and lot's of rare photo interview in Japan, what the band did over there more in detail and more obscure bands etc.

Shame you lot can't read Japanese hahaha!

I can.

I think Kerrang might be bit sarcastic reviewing Bloodstock??? :erk:

hopkins666 said:
how many of you when you were younger treated kerrang as gospel. wore the clothes that the stars in there wore etc etc

the kids of today are doing what we did years ago. although the popular stuff of today is shite compared to my era

we are turning into our parents. it's our right to slag off kerrang kiddies who like evanesense and wear tents for jeans

:lol:

Spot on!

Mind you I never did get those silver spandex trousers like Biff wore!