Kevin Moore-ish music

Borkdude

POTM vox 'n keyz
Apr 8, 2003
Amsterdam
www.pictureofthemoon.net
Did you guys ever check out the music of Kevin Moore on the Chroma Key cd's and OSI with Mike Portnoy, etc? What is your opinion on these "techno" sounds mixed with metal? I love it.

I have heard some nice little sounds in the Sun Caged cd which remind a tiny bit of this sound. Would Sun Caged ever consider going further in the "techno" direction with a few songs, like the music that can be heard on OSI for instance?

Gr,
Michiel

Oh, I LOVE OSI! I was a bit afraid when I purchased it... and it took me a few listens to warm up to it... but I think it's one of the best albums of the year now. It's such a unique and brave release. Kevin's electronics are incredible throughout... and Matheos has some very interesting guitar parts... and is quite heavy at times. Portnoy contributes an extremely restrained performance (THANKFULLY!)... Kevin's weak vocals (which remind me of Peter Gabriel at times) fit the music perfectly... I think this melding of prog-metal and electronics was extremely successful.

I still have to check out Chroma Key.

I loved OSI. Totally great album that deserves some mainstream recognition.

Check out Frameshift if you're looking for a similar sound.. It's a new project with James Labrie singing vocals. Concept album based on Richard Dawkins evolutionary theory, so overall has a very technical feel to it. Some songs really have an OSI/Kevin moore feel to them , especially "The Gene Machine". Can hear it on www.progrock.com on the radio one in a while.

Frameshift...
I listened to it a few times now. First I was thinking, hmm, strange mix/mastering...
but then it started to grow on me and now I am liking it more and more (this is how it goes with a lot prog music for me). There are some nice electronical sounds on it, yes. I think it is kind of like Mullmuzzler meets OSI...

Can someone explain what the evolution theory of Richard Dawkings is and how it differs from or extends Darwin's theory?

His theories are more based on current research and therefore more refined. The jist of it is that the purpose of life is to perpetuate genes, and that chaos theory/etc has alot to do with how things evolve and adapt. The songs about specific animals and such are focused on the way things like bats learned to see by echolocation, and how spiders learned to make webs.

Overall, I find him a little too brash with his beliefs. Rather not get into a science debate on these forums though, hehe.

How strange, first time I grabbed OSI it seemed a big piece of shit just because of that hidden Portnoy and the techno tinge all along the album. I love quite in much Frameshift, instead, and I never was a huge fan of James La Brie's vocals, but that album kicks asses!!!

|ng.

I got both Chroma Key albums about a month ago.

"Dead Air For Radios" is simply a masterpiece. That is one of the most unique, lush, beautiful, progressive albums I have ever heard. Kevin's vocals are awesome and he has a deft talent for songcraft.

"You Go Now" is not nearly as good, in my opinion. I think the first two songs (especially "Another Permenant Address") are sublime. But the rest is just kinda... weird.

Yeah, I just got You Go Now... I like it, but Dead Air is really the better of the two. I think it's that I like his older style of writing. Color Blind, Even the Waves, and On the Page (Probobly my favs off the album) were all on a demo he made with Space Dye Vest while he was still in DT. I like those songs because they are a little more piano heavy and less ambient stuff, which don't get me wrong, i like, but not if thats what the whole song is. I also bought he download only album of the radio show he did "The Memory Hole", it's pretty cool. But musiclly it's definatley closer to YGN then DAFR. It's not something I'm going to listen to a lot I'm afraid.

Have you guys heard any more about his soundtrack for that movie? I wish thier were some audio samples floating around the net.