Keyboard Solos

At first I didn`t believe my eyes when I saw the subject of this thread, as this topic is out of question at the messageboards I frequent(dreamtheater.net and ytsejam.com). I am amazed at the zestful hatred displayed here, but I will not attack anyone.

My theory is that most people who hate keyboard solos simply are not used to them, and have friends who hate them as well, So when they listen to music with their mates, they all laugh and make fun of it when the solo spot comes. True, there are some cheesy keyboard solos out there(especially from the early 90`s and the 80`s), but this should not make you completely ignorant of the fact that there are some really great ones too. Go check out Richard West of Threshold, he is probably the most underrated keyboardist in progressive metal today. His solos are fantastic.

Jordan Rudess is in fact one of my least favourite keyboard soloist, as he is all technique and no soul.

As far as I'm concerned, there are not enough keyboard solos. There are tons and tons of guitar solos, some drum solos, bass solos, but few keyboard solos. And keyboard adds a refreshing tone to any music - metal or not.

Over the years, I have heard many great keyboard solos. Smoking by Boston, and Rat Bat Blue by Deep Purple come to mind. Then there was Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman. We are now in a guitar world of music in the rock/metal area. That's all fine and dandy, as I like a good guitar solo, but to say keyboards don't have a place in the metal world is pretty narrow minded in my opinion.

All of you people saying keyboard solos are gay need to listen to The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus. Predominantly sticking to a piano type sound but often using a more spacey type ethereal keyboard set, the keyboardist plays the most impressive keyboard stuff I have heard to come out of the metal scene. Including Dream Theater who seldom have keyboard solos which are impressive and use anything other than a "gay whistle" preset.

But yeah, I defy anyone to listen to The Sham Mirrors and tell me that keyboard is not a solo instrument. Oh yeah... and there's another band that uses keyboard solos well... I like Andromeda's keyboards and Sonata Arctica.

Well...keyboard solos are 'gey' if in an overdone and overblown manner...however, they can be done tastefully. A tasteful keyboard solo can be beautiful.

My favourite keyboardist is still Rick Wright from Pink Floyd. He had a solo every now and then...whenever he did it was always subdued, tasteful and sounded good. Any aspiring keyboardist should takes tabs from Wright...he was always there just adding texture to the music...not overpowering it with wanky keyboard solos.

Originally posted by Stondis
:lol: :lol:
170.jpg

The man with the golden thumb...

Mark King RULES!:)

I love a good noodley key solo, but it has to have some kind of melody to it. Ones that are just the guy exercising his fingers annoy me. Rudess is about halfway. I love a lot of his, but others seem empty and unnecessary. Most of them seem less pointless than the average 80's metal guitar solo, anyway.

Originally posted by Harp Heaven

Jordan Rudess is in fact one of my least favourite keyboard soloist, as he is all technique and no soul.

Very true, but I still love the keyboards on "The dance of eternity"

Keyboard solos can be awsume, Evergrey is a good example which someelse used.

suitability of the keyboards is the key.. it depends on the musical context, i like keyboards solos in DT but i woulden't like them in most of the death/black metal bands..

Yeah, Jordan Rudess rules. So does Keith Emerson. If you want to hear some great piano/keyboard solos, I suggest purchasing Brain Salad Surgery by ELP.

Anything done well is good. Anything done badly is bad. IT'S THAT FUCKING SIMPLE! The mere suggestion that keyboards have no place in metal is too retarded for words. Lotsa great bands use 'em, lotsa great bands don't.
My "Handy Hint" for the haters of keys: Stick with bands who DON'T use 'em!.....oh, and is it really necessary to tell the whole world how LIMITED your musical taste is? :err: