Ki$$ $ymphony

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Has anyone else picked this up yet?
I was talkin' to TVF the other day.
Bro asked if I was gonna get it?
I said no. I opted for the new "easy listening" Ryche disc.
Well, today I saw ot for a price that I just could not pass up.
Damn, Gene! I bought the mother. I have to say it was just what I had expected. A mixed bag at best. What's up with bands thinking that recording with a symphony is "cool?" I mean Metallica, Scorpions & Ki$$?! I think this works with 2-3 songs from any band's catalog, but a record's worth of material? Better yet a double disc?! I don't get why Ki$$ didn't just get in the studio, take the paint off & then record all the tracks with the symphony? And another thing. I thought this a while back. Why Australia?! Well, because it's the only place that they can sell out. It's no wonder why they added I was Made for Lovin' You & Shandi to the set list. Those people think that shit's Kla$$ic Ki$$!
One highlight of this disc is the version of "lick it Up" which there is no strings on & Tommy Thayer shows that he is no sloppy player like Frehley. And for some reason, Peter's drums carry a lot of punch. I guess they had Eric Singer do some studio magic, when Peter was out of town?!:p

I was at the show (I'm from Melbourne, my Avatar photo was taken the day of the Symphony show, yes I went as Vinnie haha!) and Peter sucked, I've heard that the drums sound awesome on the album so I assume it was fixed up later.

Paul sounded AWESOME at the show though, I doubt there was any fixing up on his vocal track!

They chose Australia because it was the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra they played with, and also because they have a huge following in Australia. The reason "Shandi" is a classic here and nowhere else is because Kiss' first Australian tour was in 1980 on the Unmasked Tour with Eric Carr and Shandi was the single at the time so it became a huge hit here. This is the only country they play it now, its our "special song" haha.

The Trooper said:
I was at the show (I'm from Melbourne, my Avatar photo was taken the day of the Symphony show, yes I went as Vinnie haha!) and Peter sucked, I've heard that the drums sound awesome on the album so I assume it was fixed up later.

Paul sounded AWESOME at the show though, I doubt there was any fixing up on his vocal track!

They chose Australia because it was the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra they played with, and also because they have a huge following in Australia. The reason "Shandi" is a classic here and nowhere else is because Kiss' first Australian tour was in 1980 on the Unmasked Tour with Eric Carr and Shandi was the single at the time so it became a huge hit here. This is the only country they play it now, its our "special song" haha.
You can keep that damn "shandi" song.
I would like to negotiate a trade with Australia...
We trade you a burnt out Rock band that dresses in leather & clown make-up &
WE get AC/DC? How's that sound to you? Ohhhh, you though you were gettin' Insane Clown Posse? No it's KI$$!!!!:loco:

Hey, AC/DC are technically SCOTTISH!! Angus, Malcolm and Bon were all born in Scotland.
And I don't know why anyone buys Kiss stuff these days, the guys are so greedy it's not real - they're almost worse than Metallica! :Smug:

sixxswine said:
You can keep that damn "shandi" song.
I would like to negotiate a trade with Australia...
We trade you a burnt out Rock band that dresses in leather & clown make-up &
WE get AC/DC? How's that sound to you? Ohhhh, you though you were gettin' Insane Clown Posse? No it's KI$$!!!!:loco:

That's fucking harsh man - get off us Aussies!!!!!! :mad:

Kiss are fucking legends - I saw them in 1980 in Perth, and the previous poster is correct. 'Unmasked' was the album they toured on, and 'Shandi' was a big hit here, cos of that tour.....

And you can keep ICP, the fucking losers.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Hey, AC/DC are technically SCOTTISH!! Angus, Malcolm and Bon were all born in Scotland.
And I don't know why anyone buys Kiss stuff these days, the guys are so greedy it's not real - they're almost worse than Metallica! :Smug:
That's fucking harsh man - get off us Aussies!!!!!! :mad:

Kiss are fucking legends - I saw them in 1980 in Perth, and the previous poster is correct. 'Unmasked' was the album they toured on, and 'Shandi' was a big hit here, cos of that tour.....

And you can keep ICP, the fucking losers.

SWINES SAYS:
Don't get all pissy with the Swine. I'll cut you down man.
I have pieces of guys like both of you in my stool!
Seriously, though I was a hardcore Kiss Maniac until they pulled the endless farewell tour & then Peter left, came back & then Ace left...
It's a sham. KI$$ & greed do go hand in hand. You just figured this out?! And as for picking the Aussies?! Hey, you guys eat up anything KI$$ does & this $YM"Phony" thing is proof!
ICP does suck(I was being sarcastic, duh)!
Scotish, Aussie whatever, let's make a deal...
:p

Easy there, fellas! haha Gene $immon$ is all about the $$$$$$$$$ and makes no bones about it. I am still his bitch, though, and will buy anything KISS that I can afford. Old habits die hard. BUT, I agree with the mighty SIXXSWINE that TOMMY THAYER is a great, solid player. If you look past the "where's Ace" politics, his playing really lifts the band's sound to new levels. I am all for a new REUNION TOUR now, though, with BRUCE AND ERIC! Remember them?!?!? To Paul's credit....here's some dirt....I have a BOOTLEG copy of the Symphony show that an AUSSIE sold me on EBAY! It's a dvd...I don't know how he filmed it but it is GREAT picture and sound and the tracklisting is identical to the legit release...Paul was just as good on my bootleg as on the actual release...HOWEVER, Peter plays like a one armed man with arthritis on the bootleg and his facial expressions don't change from the dull burnout drooling pitiful mess that he is throughout. I'd say the drums are fixed, but aren't ALL live albums?!?! Paul and Thayer are probably the tightest, Gene is ok here and there but can't sing a lick.....but again, I am such a small man that I STILL buy the thing and love it!
I miss VINNIE VINCENT, though.
Ted

I've bought (and heard) two of the three "band with the symphony orchestra" discs. I think overall Metallica's was the best. I liked everything on theirs, with the exception of Fuel, which is not exactly one of my favorite songs by them anyway. As far as the Scorpions doing it, it sounded weird and they had some opera jackass doing some of the vocals! To say the least, I was not impressed...Kiss doing it just adds more fuel to the fire I have burning with them...HOW ABOUT SOME NEW MATERIAL GUYS? Let's stop trying to cash in on the fucking back catalog and RELEASE SOMETHING NEW. Kiss got me into hard rock/metal when I was five years old (I'm 27 now) so I will always respect them, but they haven't been making that easy the last few years. I think they should just take the makeup off already and bring Eric and Bruce back. They don't even have Ace anymore so WHAT THE FUCK are they doing still touring with the makeup on??? Bring Eric Singer and Bruce Kulick back and make another heavy album in the same style of Carnival Of Souls, or hang it up! I'm actually going to see them 9/6 in Alpine Valley, WI but the only reason I'm going is for Aerosmith! Sorry for the rant, but Ki$$ has really been pissing me off the last couple of years...Alot of people say Metallica has sold out, but I don't agree, I think one of the only real sellout bands in the Hard rock/Metal genre (and I hate having to say this by the way) is Kiss nowadays unfortunately...

To: Triumphant Apostle
Man, Ki$$ is always willing to whore their asses for the latest trends...
Remember Dynasty?
How about everything from Animalize to Hot in the Shade? Then Carnival of Souls? If you think they've just sold out in the last couple of years, I hope you just woke up from a fucking coma or something?!

That's pretty harsh, the "You Aussies eat up anything Kiss does" part. We're just as skeptical about Kiss in Australia as anywhere else in the world. I'm just as skeptical about Kiss as anyone else as well these days. I also think everything they've done in the last 5 years is a joke, as do most people here.

To me, the best era of Kiss was 1982-1992.

All I was doing in my post, was firstly pointing out that I agree that the drums were probably fixed in the studio, then just saying that Paul sounded great live (when does he not though?), and then simply explaining why certain of those songs were on the setlist.

Just because "Shandi" was a hit here doesn't mean Australians are sucked into anything Kiss does. Firstly, not all Kiss fans are metalheads, and secondly (going back to 1980), of course if hungry fans had waited 6 years for the band to tour here and they finally come, there would be a certain Kissmania happening and the single at the time would become a hit.

And the reason for Kiss doing the show in Australia was just because the orchestra was here. And tell me if you lived in a country that Kiss had only ever toured FOUR time in their entire career, and you had a chance to be at the recording of the live album, you would pass it up? No matter what you thought of the band's recent actions, you would regret passing up being able to say "I was at Alive IV" if you lived in a country like Australia where international bands rarely tour.

So give us a break before you start slamming us and making out like we're brainless drongos who get sucked into anything.

The Trooper said:
That's pretty harsh, the "You Aussies eat up anything Kiss does" part. We're just as skeptical about Kiss in Australia as anywhere else in the world. I'm just as skeptical about Kiss as anyone else as well these days. I also think everything they've done in the last 5 years is a joke, as do most people here.

To me, the best era of Kiss was 1982-1992.

All I was doing in my post, was firstly pointing out that I agree that the drums were probably fixed in the studio, then just saying that Paul sounded great live (when does he not though?), and then simply explaining why certain of those songs were on the setlist.

Just because "Shandi" was a hit here doesn't mean Australians are sucked into anything Kiss does. Firstly, not all Kiss fans are metalheads, and secondly (going back to 1980), of course if hungry fans had waited 6 years for the band to tour here and they finally come, there would be a certain Kissmania happening and the single at the time would become a hit.

And the reason for Kiss doing the show in Australia was just because the orchestra was here. And tell me if you lived in a country that Kiss had only ever toured FOUR time in their entire career, and you had a chance to be at the recording of the live album, you would pass it up? No matter what you thought of the band's recent actions, you would regret passing up being able to say "I was at Alive IV" if you lived in a country like Australia where international bands rarely tour.

So give us a break before you start slamming us and making out like we're brainless drongos who get sucked into anything.

I appologize for my previous comment to the Aussie people. I do not question your intelligence. I think you "TROOPER", have made some pretty good points & I will give you a lot of credit there. I liked the '82 KISS & the '92 version of KISS was the Best non make up band! I would have loved to have seen that band push forward & still be issuing records this day. Hey what the hell is a "DRONGO?"

That's ok, apology accepted :) Are you the same sixxswine from Heavy Harmonies message boards?

I also wish Kiss would have pushed forward in the Revenge direction...

Hahahaha "Drongo" is a really stupid Aussie slang word for "idiot" or something hahaha. Nobody really uses it (except maybe Alf Stewart on Home & Away haha), its mainly a comical word haha. Like "Dingbat" hahaha.

sixxswine said:
To: Triumphant Apostle
Man, Ki$$ is always willing to whore their asses for the latest trends...
Remember Dynasty?
How about everything from Animalize to Hot in the Shade? Then Carnival of Souls? If you think they've just sold out in the last couple of years, I hope you just woke up from a fucking coma or something?!

No, I'm aware of the Kissco record (Dynasty), I just think they've gotten completely out of hand since the reunion tour began. By the way, the one thing I DON'T consider to be a sellout is the Carnival Of Souls album. In my opinion it's musically the best album they've put out in over a decade...

Carnival Of Souls kinda is a sellout. Hmmm lets see, it was recorded in 1995. And its grungy. Good album though. Alot better than Psycho Circus, Dynasty, Unmasked, etc etc etc. However it doesnt even come close to any of the other non-makeup albums.

Again, guys...I am 100% Gene's Bitch. And I don't mean that in a gay way. I'm secure in my masculinity...hehe but dammit, as much as I agree KISS sold out long ago, (from day one!) I can't help it. I don't really look at them as a band....a group of musicians...I look at them as an ENTERTAINMENT entity only. They're just a bunch of fun whatever era you look at. Same as Diamond David Lee Roth. Cheezy as all hell but again, you can't compare KISS to any BAND of skilled musicians. When was the last time you bought a HERSHEY BAR and thought, "Damn, as far as nutritional value goes, this thing is just shit...I should of had a powerbar". Hell no. It just tastes good!!!! KISS and especially SIMMONS are nothing but clowns and I mean that in a good way. They sing and dance and make you forget about all the stresses of the day to day grind. They're more interested in what TASTES GOOD than what's in GOOD TASTE...I think SImmons said that, but it's true. You can always go to Queensryche, Iced Earth, Dream Theater, or even the Dixie Dregs or Bella Fleck and the Flecktones if you want great players with musical integrity...but if all you wanna do is cut loose and ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT...or if you get a little case of ROCK N ROLL PNEUMONIA...or if you like to drink a little COLD GIN then you had damn well be able to put your cynical pipe down and hit the best legal escape there is....the mighty KISS!
Slap my ass and call me shirley!
Terrible Ted
ps
DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE NUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GONZY BABY!

The Trooper said:
That's ok, apology accepted :) Are you the same sixxswine from Heavy Harmonies message boards?

I also wish Kiss would have pushed forward in the Revenge direction...

Hahahaha "Drongo" is a really stupid Aussie slang word for "idiot" or something hahaha. Nobody really uses it (except maybe Alf Stewart on Home & Away haha), its mainly a comical word haha. Like "Dingbat" hahaha.

Yeah the same guy that has run amuck on Heavy Harmonies.
What did you think of some of the reviews?
They are nothing but an honest opinion. At least I think.
You seem like a cool dude sorry about the swine bitch fest
from my previous posts. I just couldn't resist letting KISS have it.
Hey do you remember Yahoo Serious? What even happened to that
Mother Fucker anyway? Don't worry I will not judge you & the fine people from Australia by that guy! Bust me an email some time bro.
Do you like Union? Killer band should have been huge & should still be around today!