Kick Ass Female Screamers?

Try to listen to the first four albums by Opera IX, and if you want a woman GROWLER too, listen to "A Splendid Chaos" by Coram Lethe (Technical Death Metal). Her voice doesn't even sound female.

Only good female "screamers" I know are Tristessa from Astarte And Onielar from Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, and it has nothing to do with them being female, they just sounds good. Most female vocalists suck, and I don't know any female-fronted extreme metal band which couldn't find a better male vocalist. Being female isn't an excuse for shitty vocals.

Am I the only chick metalhead that hates chick vocals? If they don't sound like a girl, it creeps me out. If they do sound like a girl, it usually turns me off from the rest of the music.

Am I the only chick metalhead that hates chick vocals? If they don't sound like a girl, it creeps me out. If they do sound like a girl, it usually turns me off from the rest of the music.

I don't care if the singer is male or female, if he/she sounds good, I don't care about the gender. But men are generally better in harsh vocals than women, so extreme metal bands having a female vocalist seem to me as gimmicky. Those bands would likely find a male vocalist who's a lot better. But female vocalist brings the band more attention so...

I just want to say that this thread has turned me into a fan of Arkona and Anguished. My thanks to Raina and Nichrome :)

Also, this is awesome

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed 100%. I hate chick vocals in pretty much every type of music. Unless the vocalist is amazing, it sounds like shit. Men can get away with being average but the ladies need to kill it.