Kick Drum Beater Material

J-Mac

Sep 24, 2009
Canada
What kind of kick drum beater material are you using when you guys record drums? I have always leaned towards felt, but I see quite a few rubber and wood beaters on the market too.

Does anyone have experience with material other than felt and care to share some insight into pros/cons of the other materials?

Cheers

For metal/hard rock, felt's not going to get it done. Go for wood or plastic (I prefer wood beaters).

Felt will give you a rounder sound with less attack, which is good for pretty much anything else.

I appreciate the insight guys! Just scooped up some wood beaters to try. For those suggesting wood do you use falam pads (or some sort of reinforcement pad) to keep the head from getting the shit kicked out of it?

try look for some axis pedal beaters, they are heavy as fuck and a are made of pure metal. whick give me great attack and a nice punchy sound.

axis rules! ....only problem is you break a lot of skins with metal beaters..

PM me for MIXING AND MASTERING/PROGRAMING AND REAMPING SERVICES !!

I've got some DW5000 pedals (felt beaters) hitting an Aquarian super kick II with a gibraltar click pad, and with just some added high end eq and that thing sounds freakin amazing!

For speed and heavy sound I prefer wood...but everyone is different. Go online and order the 3,see wich one you like best. It's not that expensive to experiment. Have fun \m/

doesn´t have to be different material than felt. Proper micing, and i get a super kicky attack without EQ (felt + Remo Falam on EMAD).

anyway, i´d recommend using some sort of pad for any kind of music ... except maybe some forms of jazz. Kick rum heads are prone to deformation at the beater impact point(s), especially when tuned loosely, so they might break within few months