Kick Triggering After Recording?

_Brutalism_

May 14, 2008
Hi,
First of all just want to say that its great to have actually found a forum dedicated to recording/mixing/producing metal where there is an abundance of information, help and knowledge going around.

I am a drummer and a novice audio engineer who doesn't have much experience with equipment compared to most of you. I've done recordings with triggering the kicks using a Roland TD6V Module and DDrum triggers and sending them to a mono channel. This gave me good results however I was wondering if it is possible to change the sound and use a different sample after the recording has taken place. What process must take place for me to use a sampled sound which isn't on my module after the recording has taken place?

Thanks in advance!

welcome. yes it is possible. you need to use a program such as drumagog or soundreplacer to do it though. im not sure how drumagog works cuz i use soundreplacer but with sr you basically bring up the program in your daw and load the audio file into it, for example the snare or kick audio file. You then take a sample and load it in. you will then have controls to trigger the sample on the transients of the recorded audio. once your finished replacing you will have a new audio file.

There's also a free VST (if you're on a PC running anything other than Pro Tools) called KTDrumtrigga that converts hits into MIDI notes, and kicks ass at it

Hi

using drumagog may be a good way to do so...
Althought sound replacer is fine i do prefer the flexibility of Drumagog (use both)
you can download a free demo on the drumagog web site... give it a go and see what work for you

I've used the free version of Boxsounds' Replacer on kick a lot, where you just load the plugin on your kick track, load your sample into Replacer, and tweak the values 'till you're good to go. I've also used it on snare, however it's a bit tougher due to the natural volume differences in the snare output (Replacer puts out the sample at just one volume, which I find works much better with kick).

If you're blending samples in with the original (as in an acoustic kit) it's a handy little easy to use plugin. In your case, since you already have a triggered sound it shouldn't be any problem to use it with minimal tweaking.

Ok cheers guys thanks for your help! I'll check them all out and find which suits me best. I intend to get Pro Tools HD 2 in the future but for now I'll settle for the cheaper VSTs.

Thanks again.