Kickass Classical Music?

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
I'm a big fan of In The Hall of the Mountain King, and Mars Bringer of War (movement not a song), whats some other kickass classical music?

Stravinsky and virtually every Wagner Overture

Also, Wagner's Der fliegende Holländer (The Flying Dutchman), opera, WWV 63: Overture and Die Walküre (The Valkyrie), opera, WWV 86b: The Ride of the Valkyries are awesome

Let's see:

Vivaldi's Four Seasons
CHOPIN (Anything by this guy is great)
Rachmaninoff is pretty good
I really like George Gershwin as well

My non-metal collection is seriously lacking classical music. All I have is a Mozart compilation.

I'm not an expert at all but I like those:

Dvorak's Symphony No. 9
All Beethoven's piano sonatas especially No. 14. I guess his symphony No. 5 is a classic. Für Elise too.
For newer stuff Arvo Pärt is pretty popular, not a big fan myself but try Für Alina.

Also agree on Vivaldi and Wagner.

Chopin is great. I also love Mozart, Bach, etc. But I have tend to love Russian stuff for some reason.

I'm a big fan of In The Hall of the Mountain King, and Mars Bringer of War (movement not a song), whats some other kickass classical music?

for 'kickass' try Mussorgsky- Night on Bald Mountain; Scriabin- Vers La Flamme

I don't think I've ever seen the adjective "kickass" used for classical music before.

It's not a genre I'm currently into at this point in my life. My mum plays the piano and listens pretty much exclusively to classical music so I've passively absorbed a lot over the course of my youth and none of it has ever really clicked with me on an emotional level. I am still interested in finding some that would interest me (I'm sure atleast some classical music would appeal to me) but I just have no idea where to begin looking.

The only thing close to classical that I currently really listen to is modern/minimalist stuff like Philip Glass, Arvo Pärt and Max Richter.

Vivaldi Four Seasons - Summer Presto
J.S Bach - Toccatta & Fugue, Air On The G String, Chaconne In D Minor, Badinerie
Bethoven - Fur Elise, 9th Symphony, Ode To Joy
Mozart - Rondo ala Turka
Paganini - 24th and 5th Caprices

All Good Stuff.

Okay, so I have a Mozart compilation, but I like music from the following:

Chopin
Vivaldi
Bach
Beethoven
Rachmaninoff
Gershwin

Give me some shit I would like. Be as specific as possible (if it's Prelude in C# Minor, fucking tell me that). I need to expand my classical reprtoire like fucking whoa.

I'm not an expert at all but I like those:

Dvorak's Symphony No. 9
All Beethoven's piano sonatas especially No. 14. I guess his symphony No. 5 is a classic. Für Elise too.
For newer stuff Arvo Pärt is pretty popular, not a big fan myself but try Für Alina.

Also agree on Vivaldi and Wagner.

Part is god. And Fur Alina is hardly one of his better works. I recommend Tabula Rasa, Stabat Mater, Te Deum, Kanon Pokajanen, Johannes Passion.

Okay, so I have a Mozart compilation, but I like music from the following:

Chopin
Vivaldi
Bach
Beethoven
Rachmaninoff
Gershwin

Give me some shit I would like. Be as specific as possible (if it's Prelude in C# Minor, fucking tell me that). I need to expand my classical reprtoire like fucking whoa.

i'd gladly help you but i need to know what exactly it is you are asking... do you want MORE of those composers, similar composers, etc.

i'd gladly help you but i need to know what exactly it is you are asking... do you want MORE of those composers, similar composers, etc.

Well, when I finally get back to Best Buy, I'm getting compilations for each of the ones listed. Who is that in your sig, Schubert? Give me some specific shit from him. Wagner is fine too.

Stuff like that.

Well, when I finally get back to Best Buy, I'm getting compilations for each of the ones listed. Who is that in your sig, Schubert? Give me some specific shit from him. Wagner is fine too.

Stuff like that.

for schubert i would start with sym. 8 and piano trio no. 2

wagner is a bit trickier though... there are plenty of best of's of his music that contain instrumental sections from his opera's, which is fine of course.... i've got a few myself but to really get into wagner you need to get complete opera's.
the best one's to start with are Das Rheingold and Der Fliegende Hollander... these are shorter and more accesible opera's but still quite excellent. if still interested get the entire Ring Cycle and Tristan Und Isolde

compilations are good places to start for new comers (it certainly helped me) but really to get into classical you'll eventually need to get complete pieces and not just best of type stuff.

some favorites from the composers you listed that are good to start off with would be:
chopin- scherzo's, ballades, nocturnes, mazurkas, waltzes, preludes, etudes
bach- brandenburg concerto's, triple concerto in a minor, b minor mass, toccata and fugue in d minor
rachmaninoff- piano concertos 2 & 3, sym. 2