Classical music I might like???

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
In the past I've always been kinda bored by classical... but mebbe it's just cause I only hear my sister's somewhat fruityish classical... it just seems too "happy" I like my music to have a darker feel... I also like it to have *POWER* does anybody know what classical I might just like?

Jean-Pierre said:
Igor Stravinsky, by far. Listen to "The Rite Of Spring". The man was way ahead of his time.
a big hell yeah for that one. stravinsky was a genius.

if you want darker "classical" what you need todo is start from he romantic period and work your way to the present. stravinsky is a good start. as are wagner and mahler.

for very modern stuff check out penderecki, he wrote most of the score for kubrick's the shining
~gR~

Beethoven's symphonies
Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"
Holst's "Mars"
Mussorgsky's "Pictures"
Grieg
Brahms
Wagner
Boredin

My classical knowledge is somewhat limited, but these artists are definitely recommended.

You might enjoy the more modern stuff like Messiaen, Xenakis, Cage, Bartok, Schoenberg. Some may call Cage pretentious though, especially since he was the one who stuck a microphone infront of an audience and recorded it and called it a piece.

cage IS a pretentious cocksucker. anyone who calls silence for 3 minutes and 44 (?) seconds music is a pseudo intellectual pretentious cocksucker

hehehehe
~gR~

I highly recommend Penderecki. Seriously, go get some fucking Penderecki RIGHT FUCKIN NOW! In particular look for these works: Sinfonietta for Strings, Benedicamus Domino, and Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima.

Gyorgy Ligeti- Avant-garde composer, highly experimental, breaks down traditional conceptions of melody and harmony. The one work you MUST HEAR by this man if you want some music that will fucking freak you out: "Requiem"

I dunno...I took Polarity's point that people might want to ask this particular crowd about non-metal things, rather than at the slow-moving non-metal forum. I'll move this there, though.

never mind the fact that the styles and tactics composers like stravinsky DIRECTLY influence metal. especially now as the 2 are being fused together

but it doesnt matter to me

EDIT: also, it doesnt say general metal forum. its general music forum
~gR~

genocide roach said:
EDIT: also, it doesnt say general metal forum. its general music forum
~gR~
I completely agree, which is why I made that comment that I made. GoD has it in his head that General Music means Metal...
err.gif