Classical Music

Originally posted by Vanir
Classical music has something most newer music lacks... I just can't define it properly.
I think it's called natural selection :p I mean, for a piece of music to survive since 1600, and get played today, it must have been pretty special. Today's music, well, it's from today, it hasn't had to survive, it may reflect current trends/ideas, but who's to say if those will be relevant in 200 years from now. There is some great music of today, but just as much (more!) crap, as I'm sure was the case back in any of the classic periods, it's just the old crap has mostly been forgotten.

My definite favourite is Grieg!! I'm listening to "Anitras dans" at the moment, and this is just one of the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard!!! :) But also "Morgenstemning" and "I Dovregubbens hall" is awsome. (By the way, "The hall of the mountain king" is a really crappy translation. :rolleyes: )

I also love rainessance and baroque music.

And, oh, hehe. Sometimes I get in this really weird mood. Like light, floating, very romantic mood, and then I love to listen to Strauss. Wiener Waltz and Polka! Hehe ;) There are especially these two polkas, "Banditen-Galopp" by Johann Strauss (son) and "Bahn frei!" by Eduard Strauss - they are just fabulous! :D

"Dovregubben's Hall" or "The Hall of Dovregubben", maybe. -Or "The Hall of the Dovre Troll"! But he is no king! Hardly! It is a troll living in the mountain Dovre, and so he is called Dovregubben. A "gubbe" is an old man or smth.... But I don't know any word that would be just the same in English...... But hell, "king", now that's a bit too much, hehe! :)

Have you heard about this?

Ravel's Bolero comes under psychiatric investigation

1 September 1997 - A British study, published in today's Psychiatric Bulletin, suggests that Ravel's Bolero, reputed to be the most often played composition in the repertoire, was the work of a pathological mind. Dr Eva Cybulska, the author of the study, claims that the famous melody repeated 18 times without change during the course of the piece demonstrates that the French composer was possibly succumbing to Alzheimer's disease. The Kent-based psychiatrist claims that perseveration, an obsession with repeating words and gestures, is one of the more notable symptoms of this pathology. In other words, the repetitive nature of the score's principal theme is symptomatic of the degenerative condition which began to trouble the French composer in 1927 at the age of 52. Was it really Alzheimer's disease or the budding tumor which later killed Ravel during brain surgery in 1937?

Well, you can't inherit it, then....

I think pathology is kinda interesting, btw. If I was to become a doctor (which I am ceratinly not), I would want to become a pathologist. Then I woldn't have to worry about them dying when I was supposed to save them....

Heh I'm kind of ignorant :) I only like Wager...Wagner is really great.I saw Götterdämmerung a few weeks ago.Damn...even it was a bit strage...it really ruled.But the Rhinedaughters were really cute persons-and very cute dressed *hihi*.Anytime again Mr. Wagner *s*
The whole Ring rules...But I could spit when I hear stupid guys from metal bands or magazines compare Wagner with Bathory or something.Or when I hear this silly "trubute to Wagner" of Manowar....Wagner has nothing to do with metal...

One might wonder why the swedish title is "i Bergakungens sal" then? I guess the english title is the translation of the Swedish one then, wich makes it even more strange? It is clearly more convinient to say that he is a king, since a direct translation would be hard to understand :)

Hmmmmm... Still can´t understand the Swedish - Norwiegian tho?

-phyros

Wagner, Grieg, and Bach is the classical music I enjoy.

Hmm, and after seen the norwegian (the original) title of Grieg's masterpiece, I though "dovre" meant "mountain" or "fjäll" (a swedish word, that)... But is Dovre an existing mountain??

Originally posted by Rabenreich
But I could spit when I hear stupid guys from metal bands or magazines compare Wagner with Bathory or something.Or when I hear this silly "trubute to Wagner" of Manowar....Wagner has nothing to do with metal...

Perhaps not, but his music inspired Bathory/Quorthon heavily during the viking period, especially at Twilight of the Gods. So, their music may have something in common. Viking-Bathory show similarities with the music of Wagner I mean. And well, metal is music too, just as Wagner...