Classical/Traditional Music

Agreed. I'm not much of a fan of minimalism generally and had the same impression from that piece. In any case, I do really enjoy his Tabula Rasa and the symphonies of his that I've heard. I haven't listened to Miserere yet.

Well frankly I only remember hearing one of his symphonies, the Los Angeles one, mostly because it consists of 3 slow movements. I remember liking it a lot.

I will listen to Arbor today if I find the time.

Saw a piece from Péter Eötvös earlier. Damn good. I was pretty blown away by his use of percussion.

Also saw Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time a couple of months back. It was on my bucket list and the performance was rather good. Oh, and I saw some Scelsi a few days before that. Never thought that would happen.

Saw a piece from Péter Eötvös earlier. Damn good. I was pretty blown away by his use of percussion.

Also saw Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time a couple of months back. It was on my bucket list and the performance was rather good. Oh, and I saw some Scelsi a few days before that. Never thought that would happen.

I love Eötvös, I've seen a concert with him in Prague with Czech Phil. He conducted one of his percussion pieces as well, I don't remember the name.

I envy the Scelsi (was it Quattro Pezzi?) and Quartet For The End of Time. I've seen Turanga-Lila and it was otherwordly. Love that piece.

I envy the Scelsi (was it Quattro Pezzi?) and Quartet For The End of Time. I've seen Turanga-Lila and it was otherwordly. Love that piece.

It wasn't Quattro Pezzi, but it was musically along the same lines. I can't remember the name of the piece and didn't keep the program. It was great though. All strings. The same night, a particularly dissonant piece by Pärt was performed, which involved performers walking around the crowd. That poor crowd of old folks didn't know what was coming.

Speaking of which, that was one of the cool aspects of the Eötvös's Seven that I saw. It was something like a violin concerto, but there were four violinists divided strategically in the gallery who played a bit of call and response with the soloist. Already mentioned this before, but I get a sick satisfaction out of seeing other people in the crowd twist in their seats awkwardly, waiting for such music to end, after having just been serenaded by a Bach Cantata.

It wasn't Quattro Pezzi, but it was musically along the same lines. I can't remember the name of the piece and didn't keep the program. It was great though. All strings. The same night, a particularly dissonant piece by Pärt was performed, which involved performers walking around the crowd. That poor crowd of old folks didn't know what was coming.

Speaking of which, that was one of the cool aspects of the Eötvös's Seven that I saw. It was something like a violin concerto, but there were four violinists divided strategically in the gallery who played a bit of call and response with the soloist. Already mentioned this before, but I get a sick satisfaction out of seeing other people in the crowd twist in their seats awkwardly, waiting for such music to end, after having just been serenaded by a Bach Cantata.

Yeah but then there are people who leave during Messiaen and that offends me.

One of the best modernish pieces I've seen performed live was Penderecki's Threnody and also a Lutoslawski symphony. I'm a sucker for Witold.

Hahaha, @Black Orifice , we basically repeated things (Scelsi's Quattro Pezzi and Part) in this conversation yesterday IRL. ^

But I came to this thread to post about my March quest (I do these monthly goals when it comes to listening, to help organize things). This month's quest is about John Cage, as I've been neglecting him a lot and his output is so varied, I need to focus on him a little.

Np this, I'll move on to Freeman Sonatas with Arditti and I have his string quartets with Arditti's quartet lined up as well.

Anyone has any favorite pieces of his?

cage seasons.PNG

I'm continuing what I mentioned in my previous post ^, which is exploring modern classical music by doing these thematic months.

So In March I mostly listened to John Cage as I've been neglecting him before. I've established some favorites/essentials of mine and also pieces that I won't be returning to anytime soon. What I still consider to be the most "pleasant" music to listen to is the sonatas and interludes for prepared piano, which I like to have in my libtardary in more versions. What I considered more boring to listen to were his heavily conceptual pieces, i.e. even an hour long version of ASLSP was too long. Atlas Eclipticalis is a nice idea for instance, but it gets pretty boring to listen to.

This month the listening theme is Italian composers. I've already heard many things by my long time favorites Salvatore Sciarrino and Giacinto Scelsi, I went through some important peices by Bruno Maderna, Luigi Nono, Luciano Berio, and discovered some new favorites such as Daniele Lombardi (MAZES disc on NEOS).

My latest favorite is the new Pierreluigi Billone disc on Kairos called FACE. Coincidentally it includes a recorded sample from a John Cage interview in the last movement, so it seems I haven't drifted too far away from him.

Ok you R-word my pals, listen up. I'm bumping this thread out of excitement. KafkaX would say something like I'm so stoked.

On friday I'm going to a concert of the americanskyi JACK Quartet playing fucking Xenakis string quartets, I just bought the ticket. But that's not all. A mere and measly two weeks later there's another concert where three of Xenakis' orchestral pieces will be played - Troorkh, Ata, and Aïs - and guess what, you R-word B-words, I'm fucking going there as well. I'm Xenakissing so hard rn, I'm kissing the fucking Xena like Gabrielle right now.