Classical/Traditional Music

Gluck's Orpheus is great, but it always makes me laugh because I picture a castrato performing the heroic soprano role.

I'm not big on opera, but I love German song cycles.

So I was transferring some of my mother's favorites to her iPad and among those the Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kijé suite which I haven't heard in a while and goddamit I forgot how fairytaly the romance is on that. The whole suite is so cute it's fucking crazy.

EDIT: Other than that nothing much. I'm going through some czech baroque composers and also Mozart's quartets. I'm starring my favorite movements in my iTunes. :oops:

I've been thoroughly hooked on Mahler for a few months now. Das Lied von der Erde doesn't lose its spark no matter how many times I listen to it (I recommend the Otto Klemperer recording). All of his Lieder, really, are impeccable.

I'm blown away by Mozart's piano sonatas. As much as I don't enjoy most of his concertos, I love the chamber music. I listen to Glenn Gould's recordings a lot. He doesn't mumble as much here as he does when playing Bach and well, he's great. I also have Friedrich Gulda's recordings in iTunes.

It took me years to get into Mozart and now I feel almost enlightened. His music sounds like it's SUPPOSED to be this way and like there's no other way it could possibly sound. It's truly perfect in a sense.

EDIT: I know this sounds retarded coming from a person who listens to shitload of all kinds of music and after all these years says "omg Mozart" but that's the story folks.

A little bump maybe?

So today I listened to some Holmboe concertos. I recommend the recorder concerto the most. I actually don't know any other recorder concertos but this one is brilliant. In the third movement he makes the soloist do such strange noises. I don't even know how it's possible to make those.

Now I'm listening to Rautavaara's concerto for birds and orchestra from 1972. There's taped birds tweeting and chirping and it's just about the cutest fucking thing ever.

So I'm being czech and listening to a shitload of Dvořák. Went through the new recording of his complete symphonies with Bělohlávek and Czech Phil (it's on spotify for anyone interested) and now I'm going through some versions of Slavonic Dances. I think I have most of the important stuff in my iTunes by now. Still missing the trio and most of the solo piano stuff. And the lesser known operas. I only know Rusalka, out of which I only listen to the first act, which is totally magical of corpse.

I haven't had the opportunity to watch it yet, but I love Schoenberg's music. I'll probably sit down to it sometime later this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I discovered a Morricone track I wasn't familiar with on the radio recently. Hell yeah for the 'track match' app! Western fans I know said the movie wasn't that great but think I'm gonna say fuck that and watch it now.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wWtqkz6SH1Y[/ame]

Just got home from a performance of Dvořák's violin concerto by Hilary Hahn. Stellar performance, of course. Then I stood in one of those bukkaki-esque lines and waited my turn to talk about Schoenberg on her face.

Reactions: Baroque
I discovered a Morricone track I wasn't familiar with on the radio recently. Hell yeah for the 'track match' app! Western fans I know said the movie wasn't that great but think I'm gonna say fuck that and watch it now.

[ame][/ame]

Once Upon a Time in the West? Who said it wasn't great? The only thing it lacks is Clint Eastwood but otherwise it's just as great as any of the spaghetti westerns