Classical/Traditional Music

So on Tuesday I did some reading about twelve-tone composition (knew basically nothing before this) and have since been thinking up tone rows and ensemble ideas and such. I have 2 minutes of a piano piece done, but I'm not sure it's one I want to finish (or at least not without revision of what I've already done).

Some favorites of the last few days:
Haydn - Op. 76 Quartets
- Haydn rarely blows my mind like the other big names of the day, but DAMN if he wasn't consistent as hell. There may be fewer orgasmic moments, but I'm certainly never bored either. Also enjoying Pinnock's rendition of some of his Sturm Und Drang symphonies. Hearing symphonies with continuo really puts it all in perspective, allowing the listener to hear the seamless transition from late baroque music.

Ligeti - Requiem
- Penderecki rarely hold my attention for long... Ligeti on the other hand... Does it get any more METAL than some of these pieces?

Gliere - Symphony No. 3
- As this played in my car this morning, I realized that it could very well be a glimpse at what a mature Wagner symphony might sound like. I like Wagner's Symphony In C but...at the age he wrote it, masterpieces rarely arise (Mendelssohn aside).

Also, what do you people think of Paul Hindemith? I revisited his Mathis Der Maler symphony and his Symphonic Metamorphosis tonight while looking at a list of works... If he is of consistent quality, he could be a very fun composer to look into with such a prolific catalogue. I mean, sonatas and concertos for pretty much every major instrument, symphonic works, operas, ballets, lieder... I'd be hard pressed to think of a form he didn't write in, from the looks of it.

Ligeti - Requiem
- Penderecki rarely hold my attention for long... Ligeti on the other hand... Does it get any more METAL than some of these pieces?

I've never heard the requiem, but speaking of metal, do you know his Volumina for organ? Evil.

Yes! That piece rules!

The quieter parts of his Requiem actually remind me of all these quiet choral ambient sections orthodox black metal bands keep doing (see DsO's Fas ofc).

And yes, Hindemith today. Just let me lie down for a few then name some tracks.

We should have listening parties more often. The Dvorak 4 was neat. Any specific works you want to do for Hindemith? I would like to first hear some sonatas or concertos for viola or organ or brass. We get enough violin/cello action elsewhere, after all. Though I wouldn't be opposed to a couple of nice string quartets...

Yes! That piece rules!

The quieter parts of his Requiem actually remind me of all these quiet choral ambient sections orthodox black metal bands keep doing (see DsO's Fas ofc).

And yes, Hindemith today. Just let me lie down for a few then name some tracks.

We should have listening parties more often. The Dvorak 4 was neat. Any specific works you want to do for Hindemith? I would like to first hear some sonatas or concertos for viola or organ or brass. We get enough violin/cello action elsewhere, after all. Though I wouldn't be opposed to a couple of nice string quartets...

Ah, we should. But you'll have to excuse me today, I already had some so I really don't know where this evening ends. I'll reply tomorrow.

Black_Orifice, I am trying to gain admission into the Charles Ives Cult, starting today. Ignored him for far too long.

Did the three quarter-tone pieces and The Unanswered Question/Central Park In The Dark so far. All great.

Black_Orifice, I am trying to gain admission into the Charles Ives Cult, starting today. Ignored him for far too long.

Did the three quarter-tone pieces and The Unanswered Question/Central Park In The Dark so far. All great.

His Three Quarter-Tone Pieces for Piano were more so bagetelles than serious works. Still, fun listens. Interestingly, the first two movement were composed for only two hands on a quarter-tone piano, an instrument that, unfortunately, doesn't actually exist. The third movement was composed for two pianos, but Ives called for one piano to be tuned a quarter-tone sharp - something that no grand piano owner wants to do - so performances are always played a quarter-tone flat.

The Unanswered Question and Central Park in the Dark are fantastic pieces - Central Park was the piece that got me into Ives, I didn't really understand him until I heard that. I recommend the Bernstein performance of The Unanswered Question and the Ozawa performance of Central Park in the Dark.

Let me know if you want recs, I'm pretty familiar with Ives. (The same goes for you, Ondra, I've been trying to make you listen to Ives for a while now :p)

edit: Obviously you're a big fan of Dvorak. Ives modeled his First Symphony on Dvorak's structure, though, melodically, the influence isn't immediately recognizable. With a score, however, it's apparent.

I grabbed the Tilson Thomas Central Park/Unanswered Question/Holidays Symphony...they seem to be pretty good but obviously one can never know with just one reference.

PS: Dvorak is probably in my top 15 or so, but I'm not sure about top 10. It's really just that I wanted a pretentious looking b&w avy to give me the silly anus vibe, and then i thought to pay homage to Ondy on the way.

I love Tilson's performances of the Holidays Symphony and Three Places in New England, but I'm not big on his The Unanswered Question. It's a bit drawn out. Bernstein cuts the performance down to about 5:30, whereas Thomas's is about 7:00. His Central Park is good, but Ozawa's feels a bit more organic.

The Holidays is interesting. Washington's Birthday can seem a bit drawn out for the first five minutes, but the hokey-poke American folk tunes that follow afterwards is great. Decoration Day has my favorite American march tune in it, some Connecticut march, and climaxes very well. The Fourth of July is an awesome listen, but it can slump a bit. Ives's fashion of leading to the climax, in which themes are suggested prior to their hearing, is very climactic, but, if you haven't heard it before, can sound like a lot of diddling. Thanksgiving is my favorite movement of the piece. All around, it's a thoroughly entertaining piece and I still get chills down my spine every time the Chorus enters.

4711388.jpg

Just bought this

I could use more recs
It depends if you're into opera or just instrumental. I'm a huge opera fan, so I guess I'll recommend some of the ones I like:
- the one I can't get over lately is - "Orpheus and Eurydice" by Gluck.

- also Glinka - "A Life for a Tsar" (or Ivan Susanin) and "Ruslan and Ludmila" (musical adaptation of the legendary story) - theese two would be my personal favorites, I probably know the lyrics by heart, the work that's been done is amazing. Glinka (who was a chemist originally) only had two operas total and they're barely being played in the world today because of how difficult they are technically.

A Life For a Tsar

Ruslan and Ludmila

the whole thing of Ruslan and Ludmila, but I'd recommend to get the audio version.

- this one you probably have heard before - Puccini "Madama Butterfly". Beautiful and tragic story, the main female character's part brings me goosebumps.

... to be continued

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta be honest, I'm not a big opera fan. I like some Pavarotti but it's usually because it was in a movie and fit the scene really well.

Opera's one of those things I appreciate a whole lot more in person, can't get into it through headphones/speakers.

Well, out of those ones I mentioned - Puccini and Gluck are pretty easy to hear live nowadays.

As for instrumentals:

Borodin - Bogatyrskaya (Warriors') symphony. If you appareciate Wagner at least a little bit you might like this one. Might be interesting for err metal people.

aaaand Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade, love the romantic moments in this one