Classical/Traditional Music

I do know Janacek (slightly) - have listened to his Sinfonietta and one of his string quartets. As far as relatively obscure czechs go though, I'm a Martinu fan.

I do know Janacek (slightly) - have listened to his Sinfonietta and one of his string quartets. As far as relatively obscure czechs go though, I'm a Martinu fan.

Haha, yeah those composers are not exactly obscure in my book, but maybe it's because I know a lot of musicians in here. :) Janáček's string quartets are amazing.

Yeah I wouldn't consider Janacek obscure but relative to Dvorak ofc...but I've never heard of the other guy :/

Czechs Dussek and Krumpholtz wrote some nice harp concerti for the classical period style. I only wish there were more harp concerti in the style of the romantic period. Gliere's is one of my favorite concerti from any instrument.

Czechs Dussek and Krumpholtz wrote some nice harp concerti for the classical period style. I only wish there were more harp concerti in the style of the romantic period. Gliere's is one of my favorite concerti from any instrument.

Frankly, I don't think I know any harp concerti. I might check out those you mentioned because they're czech though.

Idk, they're nice and all, but I just posted them because they're Czech mostly ;) Gliere and Alwyn in particular have harp concerti that are far above those. Two of my favorite concertos with any instrument, those two.

Yeah, they're definitely not that good :erk: sorry for the bad rec, I was just like....hey I know something Czech that Onder doesn't know!

Yeah, they're definitely not that good :erk: sorry for the bad rec, I was just like....hey I know something Czech that Onder doesn't know!

I'm no expert myself tbh, out of czech baroque composers I only know Zelenka. I don't like to delve too deep into that era because things start to sound all the same then. (To my ears atleast).

EDIT: Meanwhile my Janáček exploration continues...

51aiQl0TBeL.jpg

This is seriously one of the best classical discs I've ever heard.

I will check that Howard Shelley disc, thx. I have that Schumann concerto somewhere in iTunes with Argerich IIRC. Maybe today.

Never listened to Lutoslawski actually.

Watch the concert then. Mutter will play his Chain 2. Another work of his that is played by her on recordings is Partita. I personally prefer Partita but this should be as interesting. And well, the Janáček, you know how much I like that guy - ;)

Alright here's a list of shit I recently listened to:

Now - Heitor Villa-Lobos - Bachianas Brasileiras 2, 3, 4 (Sao Paulo SO)
Antonín Dvořák - Silent Woods (music for cello and piano), Christian Poltéra, Kathryn Stott
Zoltán Kodály - String quartets (Kodály quartet)
Hector Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique
Beethoven - Pastorale - Bernstein - NYPhil
Schubert - 'Rosamunde' & 'Der Tod und das Madchen' Quartets

Sometimes I think I've got into classical, but then I realise I can't stomach too much of it still.

I don't know anything by Villa-Lobos. :/ I will have to change that today.

This current week's diary will be a little less obvious :) particularly been enjoying the hell out of Martinu and Rubinstein this week. That's Anton Rubinstein ofc, not Artur.

Lateralus those Bachianas are amazing, thanks for the rec. Do you know Vincent d'Indy?